sage-4.8.alpha4 released

Jeroen Demeyer

Dec 13, 2011, 9:56:04 AM12/13/11
to sage-r...@googlegroups.com
Dear Sage lovers,

We're releasing Sage 4.8.alpha4.

Source archive:

http://boxen.math.washington.edu/home/release/sage-4.8.alpha4/sage-4.8.alpha4.tar

Upgrade path:

http://boxen.math.washington.edu/home/release/sage-4.8.alpha4/sage-4.8.alpha4/

The source and upgrade path can also be found on the mirror network
(you might need to wait a while before the mirrors are synchronized):

http://www.sagemath.org/download-latest.html

Please build, test, and report! We'd love to hear about your
experiences with this release.

== Tickets ==

* We closed 152 tickets in this release. For details, see

http://boxen.math.washington.edu/home/release/sage-4.8.alpha4/tickets.html

Closed tickets:

#879: "sage -testall" should summarize all failures at the end of the
run [Reviewed by Michael Orlitzky]
#3447: sage -t foo gives wrong path to the file foo in the output
[Reviewed by Maarten Derickx, Michael Orlitzky]
#10967: R breaks if SAGE_LOCAL undefined [Reviewed by Jeroen Demeyer]
#11260: ECL-11.1.1 fails to compile maxima on WIndows 7 / Cygwin 1.7.9
[Reviewed by Dima Pasechnik]
#12065: Failing doctest - R installation broken? [Reviewed by Burcin
Erocal, Volker Braun]
#12104: Cygwin import problem with randstate [Reviewed by Dima
Pasechnik, Karl-Dieter Crisman]

Merged in sage-4.8.alpha4:

#5352: André Apitzsch: the valgrind log files in sage-doctest are
written to $HOME/.sage instead of $DOT_SAGE [Reviewed by Burcin Erocal,
Michael Orlitzky]
#8525: David Roe: mistake in docstring for R=Zp(3)'s R.plot method.
[Reviewed by Johan Bosman]
#10292: David Roe: padics, precision, list() and printing [Reviewed by
Johan Bosman]
#11526: Miguel Marco, davideklund, Frithjof Schulze: count_points()
error for generic schemes. (includes patch) [Reviewed by Johan Bosman,
Julian Rueth]
#11556: Rob Beezer: Linear transformations, built from free module
morphisms [Reviewed by Martin Raum, Jason Grout]
#11735: Nathann Cohen: Bug in is_chordal [Reviewed by David Coudert]
#11782: Johan Bosman: Bug in discriminant of polynomials over Z/nZ with
n composite [Reviewed by Julian Rueth]
#11933: Jeroen Demeyer: Fix qepcad doctests [Reviewed by Karl-Dieter
Crisman]
#11987: Nils Bruin, Karl-Dieter Crisman: integrate returns divergent,
maxima.integrate the correct result [Reviewed by Karl-Dieter Crisman,
Nils Bruin]
#12035: Dan Drake: `list_plot` should accept lists of complex numbers
[Reviewed by Keshav Kini]
#12057: Volker Braun: Upgrade R (r-project.org) [Reviewed by Karl-Dieter
Crisman, Jeroen Demeyer]
#12063: Jeroen Demeyer: EllipticCurve._pari_() should use .pari_curve()
[Reviewed by David Roe]
#12096: Jeroen Demeyer: Disable parallel "make install" in Python spkg
[Reviewed by François Bissey]
#12106: Jeroen Demeyer: Implement sage --rsyncdist [Reviewed by Volker
Braun]
#12111: David Roe: Bug in Integer.is_power_of [Reviewed by André Apitzsch]
#12122: Jeroen Demeyer: Add doctest to check sage_make_relative
[Reviewed by Volker Braun]
#12126: John Palmieri: Fix upgrading of boehm-gc package [Reviewed by
Jeroen Demeyer]
#12128: Jeroen Demeyer: "hg verify" is not a proper way to check whether
there is an hg repo [Reviewed by Michael Orlitzky]
#12137: Jeroen Demeyer: Fix parallel building of Singular [Reviewed by
Volker Braun]
#12138: Jeroen Demeyer: Fix parallel building zlib [Reviewed by John
Palmieri]
#12139: Jeroen Demeyer: Disable parallel "make install" in MPIR spkg
[Reviewed by Volker Braun]

Jaap Spies

Dec 13, 2011, 4:58:28 PM12/13/11
to sage-r...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 3:56 PM, Jeroen Demeyer <jdem...@cage.ugent.be> wrote:
> Dear Sage lovers,
>
> We're releasing Sage 4.8.alpha4.
>
> Source archive:
>
> http://boxen.math.washington.edu/home/release/sage-4.8.alpha4/sage-4.8.alpha4.tar
>
> Upgrade path:
>
> http://boxen.math.washington.edu/home/release/sage-4.8.alpha4/sage-4.8.alpha4/
>
> The source and upgrade path can also be found on the mirror network
> (you might need to wait a while before the mirrors are synchronized):
>
> http://www.sagemath.org/download-latest.html
>

> Please build, test, and report!  We'd love to hear about your
> experiences with this release.

On Fedora 16, 64 bit:

[jaap@vrede ~]$ uname -a
Linux vrede 3.1.2-1.fc16.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue Nov 22 09:00:57 UTC 2011
x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

make ptestlog:

All tests passed!
Total time for all tests: 1879.9 seconds
[jaap@vrede sage-4.8.alpha4]$

Cheers,

Jaap

John Cremona

Dec 14, 2011, 5:00:05 AM12/14/11
to sage-r...@googlegroups.com
4.8.alpha4 built fine and all (long) tests pass on 64-bit ubuntu.

Issue: this version has the newly formatted mini-cremona-database as
default, but sage --optional only lists
database_cremona_ellcurve-20071019.p0 which is the old format version
of the large database. Installing it has no effect. Before 4.8 is
released this needs to change: the large database in the new format is
available (link on the appropriate ticket).

Any chance of 4.8 being released before Sage Days 35 which starts in
Warwick on Saturday?! Or at least, before the release manager arrives
on Monday?

John

Marco Streng

Dec 14, 2011, 8:18:01 AM12/14/11
to sage-r...@googlegroups.com
I get doctest failures for the Magma interface:

Major: Lots of broken NumberField conversions in
sage -t -only-optional=magma devel/sage/sage/interfaces/magma.py

Minor: integers in QQ are now apparently fed into Magma as fractions
with denominator 1, but the documentation hasn't been changed
accordingly.
sage -t -only-optional=magma
devel/sage/sage/schemes/elliptic_curves/ell_generic.py
sage -t -only-optional=magma devel/sage/sage/schemes/plane_conics/con_field.py
sage -t -only-optional=magma
devel/sage/sage/rings/polynomial/multi_polynomial.pyx

Marco
(Magma V2.17-9 on probably the same machine (selmer) that John mentions below)

Marco Streng

Dec 14, 2011, 8:22:24 AM12/14/11
to sage-r...@googlegroups.com
2011/12/14 Marco Streng <marco....@gmail.com>:

> I get doctest failures for the Magma interface:

Actually, I see the same failures for 4.7.2, so this is an old bug already

Marco Streng

Dec 14, 2011, 8:47:43 AM12/14/11
to sage-r...@googlegroups.com
2011/12/14 Marco Streng <marco....@gmail.com>:

> 2011/12/14 Marco Streng <marco....@gmail.com>:
>> I get doctest failures for the Magma interface:
>
> Actually, I see the same failures for 4.7.2, so this is an old bug already

Now http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/12154

Marco Streng

Dec 14, 2011, 8:57:57 AM12/14/11
to sage-r...@googlegroups.com
Ok, here's a minor build issue: I'm told not to worry, but the double
negation is a bit worrying.

"Now building Maxima; this takes a few minutes.
Since we're on MacOS X and there is a very weird
bug with buffered output while building Maxima,
you will not be able to see the output of the build
as it occurs. Don't worry, the build process doesn't
not hang."

It was lying by the way: it did not not not hang.

See also here:
http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/attachment/ticket/11966/maxima-5.23.2.p1-p2.diff
Apparently introduced in 4.8.alpha2

kcrisman

Dec 14, 2011, 9:13:24 AM12/14/11
to sage-release

On Dec 14, 8:57 am, Marco Streng <marco.str...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ok, here's a minor build issue: I'm told not to worry, but the double
> negation is a bit worrying.
>
> "Now building Maxima; this takes a few minutes.
> Since we're on MacOS X and there is a very weird
> bug with buffered output while building Maxima,
> you will not be able to see the output of the build
> as it occurs.  Don't worry, the build process doesn't
> not hang."
>
> It was lying by the way: it did not not not hang.

Heh.

> See also here:http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/attachment/ticket/11966/maxima-5.2...
> Apparently introduced in 4.8.alpha2

You are right. I put a note to fix this on #12094, upgrading Maxima.

Marco Streng

Dec 15, 2011, 8:56:58 AM12/15/11
to sage-r...@googlegroups.com
No other build issues on Mac OS X 10.6.8 Intel Core 2 Duo (MacBook
Air). And all non-optional tests pass!

Justin C. Walker

Dec 16, 2011, 2:03:51 AM12/16/11
to sage-r...@googlegroups.com

On Dec 13, 2011, at 06:56 , Jeroen Demeyer wrote:

Mac OS X, 10.6.8 (Dual 6-core Xeon):

Build from scratch:
Built w. no problems ("-j4"; parallel build with more "threads" still blows up in libgpg_error). All tests passed (ptestlong)!

Upgrade from 4.7.2:
No problems with upgrade. All tests passed (ptestlong)!

Justin

--
Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon-At-Large
--------

John H Palmieri

Dec 16, 2011, 12:14:51 PM12/16/11
to sage-r...@googlegroups.com
On my OS X 10.6.8 box, doctesting the file interfaces/r.py starts up the "X11" app. See my comment on http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/12057.

--
John

Justin C. Walker

Dec 16, 2011, 6:29:00 PM12/16/11
to sage-r...@googlegroups.com

On Dec 13, 2011, at 06:56 , Jeroen Demeyer wrote:

> Dear Sage lovers,
>
> We're releasing Sage 4.8.alpha4.
>
> Source archive:
>
> http://boxen.math.washington.edu/home/release/sage-4.8.alpha4/sage-4.8.alpha4.tar

Yay!:

Built from scratch (-j24!!) on Mac OS X, 10.6.8; thanks to Jeroen:
real 24m34.879s
user 161m28.608s
sys 23m31.040s

There followed a whilish time (~67 minutes on the clock) churning through the production.

Then: ptestlong
All tests passed!
Total time for all tests: 720.3 seconds

This is using libgpg_error-1.6.p5.spkg, as advertised at
<http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/12118>

Cool! Many thanks to Jeroen for the great work he does as release manager. And for tracking down the nasty bits of building these upstream packages.

Justin

--
Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon at Large
Director

Maarten Derickx

Dec 17, 2011, 6:04:28 AM12/17/11
to sage-r...@googlegroups.com
The buildprocess hang when I tried to build it on OS X 10.6.8 . To see where it hang look at: http://pastebin.com/7K7qLMJh
I'm now trying to see if it's reproducible.

Maarten Derickx

Dec 17, 2011, 5:08:59 PM12/17/11
to sage-r...@googlegroups.com
Ok, I also tried building the latest version of sage wich I knew that builds correctly on my mac from scratch. To be concrete:
sage-4.7.2.alpha2 still builds correctly on my mac but retrying the build of sage-4.8.alpha4 failed at the same point as before.

I personally have no clue how to start debugging this.

John H Palmieri

Dec 17, 2011, 5:59:47 PM12/17/11
to sage-r...@googlegroups.com

What if you take a functioning build of sage-4.7.2.alpha2 and do

$  sage -f [path to r-spkg from 4.8.alpha4]

(The R spkg was updated in 4.8.alpha4.)  Does 4.8.alpha3 build?

--
John

Maarten Derickx

Dec 19, 2011, 7:25:46 AM12/19/11
to sage-r...@googlegroups.com
Ok I tried what you suggested. I build 4.8.alpha3 from source and it worked. Then I did

md:sage-4.8.alpha3 maarten$ ./sage -f ../sage-4.8.alpha4/spkg/standard/r-2.14.0.p0.spkg

as suggested and it hang at the same point. Hence I guess it is indeed a problem with the R upgrade. I will post more info on http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/12057