[sage-release] sage-4.4.2

William Stein

May 2, 2010, 10:10:21 PM5/2/10
to sage-release
Hi,

I will be the release manager for Sage-4.4.2. The main *goal* for
Sage-4.4.2 is:

* Make it so Sage-4.4.2 builds 100% automatically on Cygwin (under
Windows XP), starts up, and some basic computations work; the test
suite need not pass.

Full Cygwin support is a key goal for Sage-5.0, and the above is a
step in that direction. The goal really is to do the above without
breaking Sage on other platforms.

The relevant wiki page is:

http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/wiki/CygwinPort

Mike Hansen has done 95% of the work on this, so if he asks for
anything and you can help, I hope you will. Otherwise, just encourage
him on; it's a very difficult port, a Mount Everest in a sense, and
every other person (me, Michael Abshoff, etc.) who has tried so far
has failed.

And if you are serious about directly helping with debugging subtle
issues or testing updated spkg's, and need remote ssh access to a
Cygwin/Windows XP install, drop me an email and I can set that up.

-- William

--
William Stein
Professor of Mathematics

Dima Pasechnik

May 6, 2010, 1:37:42 PM5/6/10
to sage-release
unfortunately my VMWare with Windows 7 has died (the image became
unbootable for a reason unclear),
and I don't like wasting my time debugging M$oft bugs, so I got an
VMWare with XP now.

I can also get a VMWare with something called Windows Server 2008 ---
something close to Windows Vista...
I don't know how useful this can be though, and whether it can catch
the Win7-specific behavour)

Dima

On May 3, 10:10 am, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I will be the release manager for Sage-4.4.2.  The main *goal* for
> Sage-4.4.2 is:
>
>   * Make it so Sage-4.4.2 builds 100% automatically on Cygwin (under
> Windows XP), starts up, and some basic computations work; the test
> suite need not pass.
>
> Full Cygwin support is a key goal for Sage-5.0, and the above is a
> step in that direction.  The goal really is to do the above without
> breaking Sage on other platforms.
>
> The relevant wiki page is:
>
>    http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/wiki/CygwinPort
>
> Mike Hansen has done 95% of the work on this, so if he asks for
> anything and you can help, I hope you will.  Otherwise, just encourage
> him on; it's a very difficult port, a Mount Everest in a sense, and
> every other person (me, Michael Abshoff, etc.) who has tried so far
> has failed.
>
> And if you are serious about directly helping with debugging subtle
> issues or testing updated spkg's, and need remote ssh access to a
> Cygwin/Windows XP install, drop me an email and I can set that up.
>
>  -- William
>
> --
> William Stein
> Professor of Mathematics
> University of Washingtonhttp://wstein.org

William Stein

May 7, 2010, 11:42:27 AM5/7/10
to sage-release
Hi,

If somebody else wants to do the sage-4.4.2 release, then that might
be good. Because of my travel schedule, and having to give three
talks in two countries in the next few days, I can't do much on this
release until the end of next week.

The release could mainly involve simply packaging up these (38 or so)
positively reviewed tickets:

http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/report/32

If nobody steps up, we'll just wait until next week to start
sage-4.4.2. That's of course fine.
Message has been deleted

William Stein

May 7, 2010, 7:33:12 PM5/7/10
to Minh Nguyen, sage-r...@googlegroups.com, sage-devel
On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 4:23 PM, Minh Nguyen <nguye...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi William,
>
> On Sat, May 8, 2010 at 1:42 AM, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> If somebody else wants to do the sage-4.4.2 release, then that might
>> be good.  Because of my travel schedule, and having to give three
>> talks in two countries in the next few days, I can't do much on this
>> release until the end of next week.
>
> I have a week or so to help out with release management.
>

>> The release could mainly involve simply packaging up these (38 or so)
>> positively reviewed tickets:
>>
>>    http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/report/32
>
> Here's a proposed release schedule for Sage 4.4.2:
>
> * Sage 4.4.2.alpha0 --- release 10th May 2010
>
> * Sage 4.4.2.rc0 --- feature freeze; release 15th May 2010
>
> * Anything critical to get Sage 4.4.2.final to stabilize.
>
> * Sage 4.4.2.final --- release 18th May 2010.

The above sounds great to me!