Contributed binaries for Sage 4.5.3?

Mitesh Patel

Sep 11, 2010, 5:18:07 AM9/11/10
to sage-r...@googlegroups.com
Is anyone interested in contributing 32-bit or 64-bit binaries of Sage
4.5.3 built for

Arch Linux
CentOS / Red Hat Linux
Fedora Linux
OS X PPC
Solaris

?

The binaries should have built successfully with

SAGE_FAT_BINARY=yes
export SAGE_FAT_BINARY

passed the long doctests, and include the HTML documentation.

Just let us know if you have any questions.

gsw

Sep 11, 2010, 2:00:44 PM9/11/10
to sage-release
Hi,

I'm going to build a Sage-4.5.3 bdist on my MacPPC (G4 CPU) / OS X
10.4.

Cheers,
Georg

gsw

Sep 11, 2010, 2:17:08 PM9/11/10
to sage-release

On 11 Sep., 11:18, Mitesh Patel <qed...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is anyone interested in contributing 32-bit or 64-bit binaries of Sage
> 4.5.3 built for
>
>    Arch Linux
>    CentOS / Red Hat Linux
>    Fedora Linux
>    OS X PPC
>    Solaris
>
> ?
>
> The binaries should have built successfully with
>
> SAGE_FAT_BINARY=yes
> export SAGE_FAT_BINARY

IMHO,
for any Sage bdists to be widespread it is *mandatory* to (also) do

SAGE_BINARY_BUILD='yes'
export SAGE_BINARY_BUILD

or else the PIL spkg's build system might choose to depend on some
libjpeg or libtiff library, installed on the system where the build is
running.
But of course, on other systems where the resulting Sage bdist is
installed, those libraries might not exist --- and Sage won't run
(since Sage does not include these libs itself)!

There has been trouble with this issue in the past. (Even on one and
the same system, the PIL spkg's build system may create havoc without
this protective measure, see http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/9864
...) If someone would step up willing to review it, I'd create a trac
ticket with a patch, such that for the PIL spkg, assuming
SAGE_BINARY_BUILD='yes' becomes the default behaviour.

Cheers,
Georg

Mitesh Patel

Sep 11, 2010, 6:26:26 PM9/11/10
to sage-r...@googlegroups.com
On 09/11/2010 01:00 PM, gsw wrote:
> I'm going to build a Sage-4.5.3 bdist on my MacPPC (G4 CPU) / OS X
> 10.4.

I've built a 64-bit Fedora 13 binary which Harald has started
propagating to the mirrors.

Dr. David Kirkby

Sep 11, 2010, 8:43:32 PM9/11/10
to sage-r...@googlegroups.com

I can produce one for OpenSolaris if you want too. I've not built it with
SAGE_FAT_BINARY, but can easily do so. It passed all the long doctests.

Can you explain how to create the HTML docs, and I'll do that.

Dave

Mitesh Patel

Sep 11, 2010, 9:12:42 PM9/11/10
to sage-r...@googlegroups.com
On 09/11/2010 07:43 PM, Dr. David Kirkby wrote:
> On 09/11/10 10:18 AM, Mitesh Patel wrote:
>> Is anyone interested in contributing 32-bit or 64-bit binaries of Sage
>> 4.5.3 built for
>>
>> Arch Linux
>> CentOS / Red Hat Linux
>> Fedora Linux
>> OS X PPC
>> Solaris
>>
>> ?
>>
>> The binaries should have built successfully with
>>
>> SAGE_FAT_BINARY=yes
>> export SAGE_FAT_BINARY
>>
>> passed the long doctests, and include the HTML documentation.
>>
>> Just let us know if you have any questions.
>

> I can produce one for OpenSolaris if you want too. I've not built it
> with SAGE_FAT_BINARY, but can easily do so. It passed all the long
> doctests.

Thanks!

> Can you explain how to create the HTML docs, and I'll do that.

To build the HTML docs, you can use

make doc-html

if a LaTeX suite is available or

make doc-html-jsmath

The latter uses JSMath to typeset mathematics in the browser. If LaTeX
*is* installed, you could also try to build the PDF documentation with
'make doc-pdf'.

William has a script

http://sage.math.washington.edu/home/wstein/bin/botdist

that I think he uses to "bdist" binaries with "canonical" names. See

http://groups.google.com/group/sage-devel/browse_thread/thread/f5a20d2484ee6d1d/e02d489574856f15?#e02d489574856f15

David Kirkby

Sep 11, 2010, 9:57:03 PM9/11/10
to sage-r...@googlegroups.com
On 12 September 2010 02:12, Mitesh Patel <qed...@gmail.com> wrote:

> To build the HTML docs, you can use
>
> make doc-html
>
> if a LaTeX suite is available or
>
> make doc-html-jsmath
>
> The latter uses JSMath to typeset mathematics in the browser.  If LaTeX
> *is* installed, you could also try to build the PDF documentation with
> 'make doc-pdf'.

I've not got Latex, but could install it if there were some
instructions. When I looked at this before, it seemed like you really
needed to know what you wanted to install., If anyone could give me
detailed instructions about what code I need to download, what if any
fonts etc, I could do it. This should really be in the developers
guide, as its far from obvious.

Dave

Mitesh Patel

Sep 11, 2010, 10:05:22 PM9/11/10
to sage-r...@googlegroups.com

Would TeX Live work on OpenSolaris?

http://tug.org/texlive/

leif

Sep 11, 2010, 10:11:53 PM9/11/10
to sage-r...@googlegroups.com
Mitesh Patel wrote:
> On 09/11/2010 07:43 PM, Dr. David Kirkby wrote:
>> I can produce one for OpenSolaris if you want too. I've not built it
>> with SAGE_FAT_BINARY, but can easily do so. It passed all the long
>> doctests.
>
> Thanks!
>
>> Can you explain how to create the HTML docs, and I'll do that.
>
> To build the HTML docs, you can use
>
> make doc-html
>
> if a LaTeX suite is available or
>
> make doc-html-jsmath

Shouldn't it be possible to simply rsync them from sage.math (or
somewhere else)?

-Leif

Mitesh Patel

Sep 12, 2010, 2:27:44 AM9/12/10
to sage-r...@googlegroups.com
On 09/11/2010 09:11 PM, leif wrote:
> Mitesh Patel wrote:
>> On 09/11/2010 07:43 PM, Dr. David Kirkby wrote:
>>> I can produce one for OpenSolaris if you want too. I've not built it
>>> with SAGE_FAT_BINARY, but can easily do so. It passed all the long
>>> doctests.
>>
>>> Can you explain how to create the HTML docs, and I'll do that.
>>
>> To build the HTML docs, you can use
>>
>> make doc-html
>>
>> if a LaTeX suite is available or
>>
>> make doc-html-jsmath
>
> Shouldn't it be possible to simply rsync them from sage.math (or
> somewhere else)?

Yes, thanks! Both the HTML and PDF docs are under

SAGE_ROOT/devel/sage/doc/output

in, e.g.,

/home/release/sage-4.5.3/sage-4.5.3-sage.math.washington.edu-x86_64-Linux.tar.gz

(and the t2 binary, to which I copied the PDF files). Copying all of
the 'output' tree should work.

Dr. David Kirkby

Sep 12, 2010, 11:10:07 AM9/12/10
to sage-r...@googlegroups.com

I appears to - at least on x86.

drkirkby@hawk:~$ latex
This is pdfTeX, Version 3.1415926-1.40.11 (TeX Live 2010)
restricted \write18 enabled.
**

I've no idea if that is normal or not, but at least the binary exists.

drkirkby@hawk:~$ file /usr/local/texlive/2010/bin/i386-solaris//pdflatex
/usr/local/texlive/2010/bin/i386-solaris//pdflatex: ELF 32-bit LSB executable
80386 Version 1 [FPU], dynamically linked, stripped

Dave

Mitesh Patel

Sep 12, 2010, 4:55:29 PM9/12/10
to sage-r...@googlegroups.com
On 09/12/2010 10:10 AM, Dr. David Kirkby wrote:
> On 09/12/10 03:05 AM, Mitesh Patel wrote:
>> On 09/11/2010 08:57 PM, David Kirkby wrote:
>>> I've not got Latex, but could install it if there were some
>>> instructions. When I looked at this before, it seemed like you really
>>> needed to know what you wanted to install., If anyone could give me
>>> detailed instructions about what code I need to download, what if any
>>> fonts etc, I could do it. This should really be in the developers
>>> guide, as its far from obvious.
>>
>> Would TeX Live work on OpenSolaris?
>>
>> http://tug.org/texlive/
>
> I appears to - at least on x86.
>
> drkirkby@hawk:~$ latex
> This is pdfTeX, Version 3.1415926-1.40.11 (TeX Live 2010)
> restricted \write18 enabled.
> **
>
> I've no idea if that is normal or not, but at least the binary exists.

This seems normal. Could you try building the Sage tutorial?

./sage -docbuild tutorial html
./sage -docbuild tutorial pdf

Dr. David Kirkby

Sep 12, 2010, 5:11:48 PM9/12/10
to sage-r...@googlegroups.com

Sure, I will do that. I'll then copy it to my laptop and make sure it runs on
that before uploading it.

I'll take along some copies to the London OpenSolaris User Group on Wednesday if
it works ok. I gave a talk there some time ago about Sage, but at the time it
did not run on OpenSolaris. Now at least it does, and passes all tests.

Dave

Rob Beezer

Sep 12, 2010, 7:34:09 PM9/12/10
to sage-release
On Sep 12, 8:10 am, "Dr. David Kirkby" <david.kir...@onetel.net>
wrote:
> drkirkby@hawk:~$ latex
> This is pdfTeX, Version 3.1415926-1.40.11 (TeX Live 2010)
>   restricted \write18 enabled.
> **
>
> I've no idea if that is normal or not, but at least the binary exists.

\write18 is some integral part of tex's output routines. The
"restriction" I believe has something to do with its ability to call
other executables, so is a good thing normally. I get the same
default behavior on Debian/Ubuntu/TeXlive. Contrast with:

rob@wave:~$ latex --shell-escape
This is pdfTeX, Version 3.1415926-1.40.10 (TeX Live 2009/Debian)
\write18 enabled.
**

This bigger discussion suggests to me that it would be good to have a
list, by OS, of simple ways to get a minimally functional (ie good
enough for Sage) tex distribution installed. I.E. TexShop, etc on
Mac, apt-get install texlive on Debians, MikTeX on Windows, etc, etc
Or we could just ship a full tex distribution with every copy of sage
(just kidding).

I wrote a section of the documentation about Sage+Latex, it would fit
nicely there, or maybe it would be good wiki material so it can be
easily extended and updated. I'll add it to my list, but unlikely to
happen right away.

Rob

Rob

Dr. David Kirkby

Sep 13, 2010, 10:20:23 AM9/13/10
to sage-r...@googlegroups.com
On 09/12/10 10:11 PM, Dr. David Kirkby wrote:
> On 09/12/10 09:55 PM, Mitesh Patel wrote:

>>> I appears to - at least on x86.
>>>
>>> drkirkby@hawk:~$ latex
>>> This is pdfTeX, Version 3.1415926-1.40.11 (TeX Live 2010)
>>> restricted \write18 enabled.
>>> **
>>>
>>> I've no idea if that is normal or not, but at least the binary exists.
>>
>> This seems normal. Could you try building the Sage tutorial?
>>
>> ./sage -docbuild tutorial html
>> ./sage -docbuild tutorial pdf
>>

> Sure, I will do that. I'll then copy it to my laptop and make sure it
> runs on that before uploading it.

Both docs and PDF seem to build ok. So that latex is fine for OpenSolaris at
least. That was nice an easy to install.

doctests were however a different issue - see other post.

Dave

Volker Braun

Sep 11, 2010, 5:54:33 PM9/11/10
to sage-release
Fedora 13 x86_64

http://www.stp.dias.ie/~vbraun/Sage/sage-4.5.3-Fedora-13-x86_64-Linux.tar.gz

I ran:

export MAKE="make -j8"
export SAGE_FAT_BINARY=yes
export SAGE_BINARY_BUILD='yes'
cd sage-4.5.3
make distclean
make
make ptestlong
./sage -bdist 4.5.3

All tests passed.

The sage -bdist command creates a sage-4.5.3-x86_64-Linux.tar.gz,
which I manually renamed to reflect the distribution. Shouldn't that
be automated, too?

Cheers,
Volker