sage-4.6.1.rc1 released

Jeroen Demeyer

Jan 10, 2011, 10:43:55 PM1/10/11
to sage-r...@googlegroups.com, bug...@googlegroups.com
Dear Sage lovers,

We're releasing Sage 4.6.1.rc1.

Source archive:

http://sage.math.washington.edu/home/release/sage-4.6.1.rc1/sage-4.6.1.rc1.tar

Upgrade path:

http://sage.math.washington.edu/home/release/sage-4.6.1.rc1/sage-4.6.1.rc1/

Please build, test, and report! We'd love to hear about your
experiences with this release.

== Notes ==

This is supposed to be the last release before 4.6.1. After doing some
more tests on this version, we hope to release exactly this version as
sage-4.6.1.

== Tickets ==

* For a more detailed overview of all tickets and patches which are
merged in this version, see
http://sage.math.washington.edu/home/release/sage-4.6.1.rc1/tickets.html

Closed tickets:

#9842: groebner basis bug [Reviewed by Gagan Sekhon]
#10557: local/bin/gphelp has hardcoded path that is not reset when sage
is moved [Reviewed by Jeroen Demeyer]
#10558: ModularSymbols got much slower since sage 4.3 [Reviewed by
Maarten Derickx]

Merged in sage-4.6.1.rc1:

#10491: Jeroen Demeyer, Leif Leonhardy: Dump environment before building
[Reviewed by Volker Braun]
#10494: Leif Leonhardy, Jeroen Demeyer: Upgrading 4.6->4.6.1 does not
upgrade sagenb [Reviewed by Jeroen Demeyer, Leif Leonhardy, Geoff Ehrman]
#10528: Robert Bradshaw: sage0.py doctest failures on sage.math
[Reviewed by Maarten Derickx]
#10533: Eviatar Bach: Add digraph_generators.py to the documentation
[Reviewed by Nathann Cohen]
#10569: John Thurber: documentation formatting fix in
schemes/hyperelliptic_curves/hyperelliptic_finite_field.html [Reviewed
by Aly Deines]
#10580: Jeroen Demeyer: Bump maximum number of occurances of the word
"tree" in sage/misc/sagedoc.py [Reviewed by Volker Braun]

kcrisman

Jan 10, 2011, 11:06:46 PM1/10/11
to sage-release
Huh, I already built it several hours ago successfully on OS X
10.6 :) Did not run tests, sorry.

Did the parallel spkg build with four threads (twice my cores), which
caused an error in the build. Doing make again made things fine.
Here are some relevant lines - hard to find, with the parallel build,
of course.

make[6]: warning: -jN forced in submake: disabling jobserver mode.
(cd /Users/.../sage-4.6.1.rc1/local/include && rm -f gmp.h && cp
mpir.h gmp.h)
cp: mpir.h: No such file or directory
make[6]: *** [install-data-hook] Error 1
make[5]: *** [install-data-am] Error 2
make[4]: *** [install-am] Error 2
make[3]: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: *** [install] Error 2
Error installing MPIR.
make[1]: *** [installed/mpir-1.2.2.p2] Error 1

Anyway, on an OS X 10.6 computer with two cores and with nothing else
to do (not this one) it might be worth doing a Kirkby-style loop with
MAKE="make -j4" to see if there is some dependency we haven't made
explicit.

- kcrisman

On Jan 10, 10:43 pm, Jeroen Demeyer <jdeme...@cage.ugent.be> wrote:
> Dear Sage lovers,
>
> We're releasing Sage 4.6.1.rc1.
>
> Source archive:
>
> http://sage.math.washington.edu/home/release/sage-4.6.1.rc1/sage-4.6....
>
> Upgrade path:
>
> http://sage.math.washington.edu/home/release/sage-4.6.1.rc1/sage-4.6....

Justin C. Walker

Jan 11, 2011, 2:19:27 AM1/11/11
to sage-r...@googlegroups.com

On Jan 10, 2011, at 19:43 , Jeroen Demeyer wrote:

Built as an upgrade to 4.6.1.a3 (Mac OS X, 10.6.6, Dual Quad Xeon), w/o problems. All tests passed!

Justin

--
Justin C. Walker
Curmudgeon-at-large

Adam Webb

Jan 11, 2011, 2:53:45 AM1/11/11
to sage-release

On Jan 11, 4:43 am, Jeroen Demeyer <jdeme...@cage.ugent.be> wrote:
> Dear Sage lovers,
>
> We're releasing Sage 4.6.1.rc1.

Hi,

When upgrading from 4.6.1.rc0 I get a problem with extcode. The
following is taken from the messages.

abort: unresolved merge conflicts (see hg resolve)
pulling from /home/math/sage/spkg/build/extcode-4.6.1.rc1
searching for changes
no changes found
abort: outstanding uncommitted merges
abort: unresolved merge conflicts (see hg resolve)
abort: outstanding uncommitted merges

I tried to use hg resolve (in sage/data/extcode) but this did not
work.
$hg resolve --all
merging .hgtags
warning: conflicts during merge.
merging .hgtags failed!

Cheers,
Adam

PS I am using 32 bit Scientific Linux 5.1.

Rob Beezer

Jan 11, 2011, 10:39:54 AM1/11/11
to sage-release
Built from source and passed all tests on 64-bit Ubuntu 10.04 on Intel
i7 with:

export SAGE64=yes
export MAKE="make -j4"
export SAGE_PARALLEL_SPKG_BUILD="yes"
make ptestlong

Rob

Nathann Cohen

Jan 11, 2011, 10:51:15 AM1/11/11
to sage-r...@googlegroups.com
Hello !!!

make ptestlong failed on :
- Fedora 14 (Intel Core 2 CPU), with MAKE="make -j4"
- Fedora 12 (with 8 processors Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU 3.20ghz) and
MAKE="make -j10"

The same problem in both cases, even though it may depend on my
configuration (I defined SAGE_ROOT="/home/ncohen/sage/" -- is it a
mistake I'm making ?)

Nathann

/home/ncohen/sage$ sage -t -long -force_lib devel/sage/sage/tests/cmdline.py
Warning: Attempted to overwrite SAGE_ROOT environment variable
sage -t -long -force_lib "evel/sage/sage/tests/cmdline.py"
File "/home/ncohen/sage/devel/sage/sage/tests/cmdline.py", line 204:
sage: out
Expected:
'34\n'
Got:
'Warning: Attempted to overwrite SAGE_ROOT environment variable\n34\n'
File "/home/ncohen/sage/devel/sage/sage/tests/cmdline.py", line 232:
sage: out
Expected:
'120\n'
Got:
'Warning: Attempted to overwrite SAGE_ROOT environment variable\n120\n'
File "/home/ncohen/sage/devel/sage/sage/tests/cmdline.py", line 248:
sage: out
Expected:
'Curve [0,0,1,-7,6] :\tRank = 3\n[[3],[[1,-1],[-2,3],[-7/4,25/8]]]\n\n\n'
Got:
'Warning: Attempted to overwrite SAGE_ROOT environment
variable\nCurve [0,0,1,-7,6] :\tRank =
3\n[[3],[[1,-1],[-2,3],[-7/4,25/8]]]\n\n\n'
1 items had failures:
3 of 119 in __main__.example_1
***Test Failed*** 3 failures.
For whitespace errors, see the file /home/ncohen/.sage//tmp/.doctest_cmdline.py
[14.1 s]

Jaap Spies

Jan 11, 2011, 11:17:53 AM1/11/11
to sage-r...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 4:43 AM, Jeroen Demeyer <jdem...@cage.ugent.be> wrote:
> Dear Sage lovers,
>
> We're releasing Sage 4.6.1.rc1.

On Fedora 14 on i7 860 64 bit:

The following tests failed:

sage -t -long -force_lib devel/sage/sage/interfaces/r.py # 1 doctests failed
Total time for all tests: 1499.8 seconds
make: *** [ptestlong] Error 128
[jaap@vrede sage-4.6.1.rc1]$ ./sage -t -long -force_lib
devel/sage/sage/interfaces/r.py
sage -t -long -force_lib "devel/sage/sage/interfaces/r.py"
[5.7 s]

All tests passed!
Total time for all tests: 5.7 seconds

Jaap

Jeroen Demeyer

Jan 11, 2011, 12:14:29 PM1/11/11
to sage-r...@googlegroups.com
On 2011-01-11 08:17, Jaap Spies wrote:
> The following tests failed:
>
> sage -t -long -force_lib devel/sage/sage/interfaces/r.py # 1 doctests failed

This is a known issue (#9970).

Dan Drake

Jan 11, 2011, 5:09:15 PM1/11/11
to sage-release
On Mon, 10 Jan 2011 at 07:43PM -0800, Jeroen Demeyer wrote:
> Dear Sage lovers,
>
> We're releasing Sage 4.6.1.rc1.

Is there a built copy on t2.math? I'm compiling one now, but it would be
nice if I can just use one that already has been done.

Dan

--
--- Dan Drake
----- http://mathsci.kaist.ac.kr/~drake

signature.asc

Adam Webb

Jan 12, 2011, 2:08:13 AM1/12/11
to sage-release

On Jan 11, 4:43 am, Jeroen Demeyer <jdeme...@cage.ugent.be> wrote:
> Dear Sage lovers,
>
> We're releasing Sage 4.6.1.rc1.

Fresh install and testlong passed on two systems: Ubuntu 10.10
(AMD64), Scientific Linux 5.1 (x86). There were two time-outs but this
is not unusual for the machine. They pass when done alone.

For the curious, they were.
sage -t -long -force_lib "devel/sage/sage/plot/plot.py" # Time out
sage -t -long -force_lib "devel/sage/sage/gsl/
probability_distribution.pyx" # Time out

Adam

Justin C. Walker

Jan 12, 2011, 2:11:16 AM1/12/11
to sage-r...@googlegroups.com

On Jan 10, 2011, at 19:43 , Jeroen Demeyer wrote:

> Dear Sage lovers,
>
> We're releasing Sage 4.6.1.rc1.
>
> Source archive:
>
> http://sage.math.washington.edu/home/release/sage-4.6.1.rc1/sage-4.6.1.rc1.tar

Built from scratch (Mac OS X, 10.6.6, Dual Quad Xeon) w/o problems.

All tests passed, once I applied the patches at #9960 (so the patches work on 10.6.6, at least for me). I looked at the patches, but they are bit to "bashy" for me to feel confident about reviewing them.

Justin

--
Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon-At-Large, Director
Institute for the Enhancement of the Director's Income

Justin C. Walker

Jan 12, 2011, 2:21:01 AM1/12/11
to sage-r...@googlegroups.com

On Jan 10, 2011, at 19:43 , Jeroen Demeyer wrote:

Ran the upgrade from 4.6.1-a2, which seemed to complete successfully, but the version wasn't updated, as shown in the (edited) transcript, below.

Ran ptestlong tests ("make -j3" on 10.6.6/Core i7), and got two failures (trace.py, cmdline.py). I'll poke around some more and try to replicate the problem.

Justin

Successfully installed sagetex-2.2.5
Now cleaning up tmp files.
Making Sage/Python scripts relocatable...
Making script relocatable
Finished installing sagetex-2.2.5.spkg

real 51m34.751s
user 41m9.934s
sys 7m8.247s
Sage build/upgrade complete!
Double checking that all packages have been installed.
Downloading packages from 'http://sage.math.washington.edu/home/release/sage-4.6\
.1.rc1/sage-4.6.1.rc1//spkg'.
Reading package lists... Done!
No new packages.
Nothing to (re)build / all up-to-date.
<justin@Euler:sage-4.6.1.alpha2> SAGE_PARALLEL_SPKG_BUILD=yes SAGE64=yes MAKE="m\
ake -j3" make ptestlong
<justin@Euler:sage-4.6.1.alpha2> ./sage -version
Detected SAGE64 flag
Building Sage on OS X in 64-bit mode
Sage Version 4.6.1.alpha2, Release Date: 2010-11-21
* Warning: this is a prerelease version, and it may be unstable. *
<justin@Euler:sage-4.6.1.alpha2>

Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon at Large

Director
Institute for the Enhancement of the Director's Income

-----------
Nobody knows the trouble I've been
-----------

Jean-Pierre Flori

Jan 12, 2011, 8:03:15 AM1/12/11
to sage-release
Hi,

Same problem here upgrading from 4.6.1.rc0.
In fact I already got a similar problem when upgrading from
4.6.1a[something] and did rebuild everything from source for
4.6.1.rc0.
If anyone knows how to solve that issue I'd also be interested.

I am using Debian (amd64 proc).

Cheers,
JP

Jean-Pierre Flori

Jan 12, 2011, 11:46:24 AM1/12/11
to sage-release
Mmmm, I accidently deleted the message I wanted to quote so mine makes
no sense.
I meant I had the same problem as Adam Webb with extcode:
abort: unresolved merge conflicts (see hg resolve)
pulling from /home/math/sage/spkg/build/extcode-4.6.1.rc1
searching for changes
no changes found
abort: outstanding uncommitted merges
abort: unresolved merge conflicts (see hg resolve)
abort: outstanding uncommitted merges

Jeroen Demeyer

Jan 12, 2011, 12:35:37 PM1/12/11
to sage-r...@googlegroups.com
On 2011-01-10 23:53, Adam Webb wrote:
> When upgrading from 4.6.1.rc0 I get a problem with extcode. The
> following is taken from the messages.
Yes, due to the design of my merger scripts, it is not possible to
upgrade from an alpha or rc version (upgrading from 4.5.3 or 4.6 works
fine).

Do you think this is a major issue or is it something you can live with?
(I personally prefer leaving things as they are, not being able to
upgrade from development releases because fixing this would add
non-trivial complications to the merger).

Jeroen.

Georg Grafendorfer

Jan 12, 2011, 2:18:44 PM1/12/11
to sage-release
Sage 4.6.1.rc1, built from scratch successfully on Fedora 13, AMD
Phenom II X4,
at the end of 'make ptestlong' I got the following lines:

The following tests failed:

sage -t -long -force_lib devel/sage/sage/all.py # 0 doctests failed
sage -t -long -force_lib devel/sage/sage/all_cmdline.py # 0 doctests
failed
Total time for all tests: 2177.6 seconds
make: *** [ptestlong] Error 128

I don't understand the last line, I do not remember this line from
preceding tests!! (which does not mean that it was not there!)
Is it normal?

Georg

On Jan 11, 4:43 am, Jeroen Demeyer <jdeme...@cage.ugent.be> wrote:
> Dear Sage lovers,
>
> We're releasing Sage 4.6.1.rc1.
>
> Source archive:

Jeroen Demeyer

Jan 12, 2011, 2:22:54 PM1/12/11
to sage-r...@googlegroups.com
On 2011-01-12 11:18, Georg Grafendorfer wrote:
> The following tests failed:
>
> sage -t -long -force_lib devel/sage/sage/all.py # 0 doctests failed
> sage -t -long -force_lib devel/sage/sage/all_cmdline.py # 0 doctests
> failed
> Total time for all tests: 2177.6 seconds
> make: *** [ptestlong] Error 128
>
> I don't understand the last line, I do not remember this line from
> preceding tests!! (which does not mean that it was not there!)

You mean "make: *** [ptestlong] Error 128"? This is completely normal
(but it has changed compared to sage-4.6).

kcrisman

Jan 12, 2011, 3:06:57 PM1/12/11
to sage-release
Well, I think it depends on resources. The problem is that some of us
would like to help test the alpha releases, but building Sage from
scratch takes a long time or we don't have access to those boxes as
much. Having the upgrade work is much better in those cases. I
recognize that there are arguments (like being able to back things out
more easily?) for doing it this way, and I realize I can't complain
too much since I've never been release manager. But, at the same
time, it does pose a nontrivial block in the way of some.

Maybe would it at least be possible to implement some script in sage-
upgrade which checks to see if one is trying to upgrade an alpha now?
It's really annoying to hose an installation. But of course other
release managers might go back to the other way, so that wouldn't be a
solution either...

- kcrisman

gsw

Jan 12, 2011, 2:49:45 PM1/12/11
to sage-release
Hi,

Sage-4.6.1.rc1 built (from scratch) w/o problems on MacIntel OS X 10.4
(Tiger),
and "make testlong" passed each and every single test:

All tests passed!
Total time for all tests: 16541.1 seconds

Good work, thank you all very much!

Cheers,
Georg

Jean-Pierre Flori

Jan 13, 2011, 4:32:38 AM1/13/11
to sage-release
> Yes, due to the design of my merger scripts, it is not possible to
> upgrade from an alpha or rc version (upgrading from 4.5.3 or 4.6 works
> fine).

As far as I'm concerned, I'd better be able to upgrade between alphas
and RCs (I guess it also does not work upgrading from an alpha or RC
to a stable version, does it ?).
Of course I can rebuild Sage from scratch but it takes a long time
even on my recent computer and cpu ressources, and then I must not
forget to rebuild my custom spkgs (in fact, now there is just a
corrected pynac spkg, but forgetting to rebuild it is quite dramatic
for my computations).
I could also live without alphas and RCs, but sometimes they let
important features for me in like the new Maxima spkg recently.

Cheers,
JP

Nathann Cohen

Jan 14, 2011, 12:01:24 PM1/14/11
to sage-r...@googlegroups.com, bug...@googlegroups.com
Helloooo everybody !!!

I tried to compile 4.6.1.rc1 on my computer when it was released and
all went smoothly, but since then my machine was reinstalled and for
the third time compilation failed.. I am using a 32bit Fedora 14, with
a 2core CPU 2.4Ghz. The only compile flags I used are :

ILOG_LICENSE_FILE=/user/ncohen/home/.cplex_key.ilm
DOT_SAGE="/home/ncohen/.sage/"
SAGE_ROOT="/home/ncohen/sage/"
SAGE_PARALLEL_SPKG_BUILD='yes'
SAGE_VALGRIND="yes"
MAKE="make -j4"

I really have no idea where the problem could come from... Perhaps a
missing package, that I had installed before ? But I saw no trace of
that in the logs :-/

The install.log file is there, if it can help :

Sorry for the trouble ^^;

Nathann

Dima Pasechnik

Jan 14, 2011, 12:53:32 PM1/14/11
to sage-release
I'd try unsetting SAGE_ROOT (and, perhaps, DOT_SAGE, too)

kcrisman

Jan 14, 2011, 1:08:29 PM1/14/11
to sage-release
Same thing for PPC Mac OS X 10.4, with the single exception of the
Maxima interface - still times out on me even with
SAGE_TIMEOUT_LONG=5000, as usual. The remaining long tests took a
total of nearly 100000 seconds but worked out of the box, newly built.

Georg, I know your processor is faster than mine, but how long did the
Maxima interface test take?

- kcrisman

gsw

Jan 14, 2011, 1:21:37 PM1/14/11
to sage-release

On 14 Jan., 19:08, kcrisman <kcris...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Same thing for PPC Mac OS X 10.4, with the single exception of the
> Maxima interface - still times out on me even with
> SAGE_TIMEOUT_LONG=5000, as usual.  The remaining long tests took a
> total of nearly 100000 seconds but worked out of the box, newly built.
>
> Georg, I know your processor is faster than mine, but how long did the
> Maxima interface test take?

Cough, cough,

not so really long, snippet from "testlong.log":

sage -t -long -force_lib "devel/sage/sage/interfaces/maxima.py"
[39.7 s]

There seems to be some strange thing ongoing ...

Cheers,
Georg

kcrisman

Jan 14, 2011, 1:27:38 PM1/14/11
to sage-release

On Jan 14, 1:21 pm, gsw <georgswe...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 14 Jan., 19:08, kcrisman <kcris...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Same thing for PPC Mac OS X 10.4, with the single exception of the
> > Maxima interface - still times out on me even with
> > SAGE_TIMEOUT_LONG=5000, as usual.  The remaining long tests took a
> > total of nearly 100000 seconds but worked out of the box, newly built.
>
> > Georg, I know your processor is faster than mine, but how long did the
> > Maxima interface test take?
>
> Cough, cough,
>
> not so really long, snippet from "testlong.log":
>
> sage -t  -long -force_lib "devel/sage/sage/interfaces/maxima.py"
>          [39.7 s]
>
> There seems to be some strange thing ongoing ...

Well, at least I can update the ticket #9361. Do you have a Macintel
with a slower processor (say, <1.5 GHz) you could try this on, out of
curiosity?

Thanks,

- kcrisman

gsw

Jan 15, 2011, 3:10:17 PM1/15/11
to sage-release
No, sorry.
The only one I've got (access to) has a 2.0 GHz Core2Duo CPU.

Cheers,
Georg