Re: [sage-release] release management: merging tickets

Message has been deleted

Robert Miller

Feb 7, 2010, 11:35:27 AM2/7/10
to sage-r...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Feb 7, 2010 at 4:42 AM, Minh Nguyen <nguye...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Before starting on merging tickets for a new milestone, I would
> compile the source tarball of the current stable release of Sage under
> /scratch/. In my case, it's under my /scratch home directory
> /scratch/mvngu/release/ on sage.math. As you know, the idea is to
> avoid working under a directory that resides on an NFS mounted disk.

It is also a good idea to set your DOT_SAGE environment variable to
something outside NFS filesystems (the default location is ~/.sage,
which is NFS mounted).

--
Robert L. Miller
http://www.rlmiller.org/

Pat LeSmithe

Feb 8, 2010, 9:17:06 PM2/8/10
to sage-r...@googlegroups.com

Thanks for all of your advice! Some questions:

* Can we run tests on the build farm?

* Has anyone investigated building multiple spkgs in parallel, as long
as they're independent? I tried this last night, and it didn't simply
work. I'm not sure yet whether the problems are surmountable. It would
be great to learn about prior experience.

Message has been deleted

Pat LeSmithe

Feb 8, 2010, 9:35:28 PM2/8/10
to sage-r...@googlegroups.com

Also:

* Should we install ccache on the cluster?

Nick Alexander

Feb 8, 2010, 9:37:13 PM2/8/10
to sage-r...@googlegroups.com
>> * Has anyone investigated building multiple spkgs in parallel, as
>> long
>> as they're independent? I tried this last night, and it didn't
>> simply
>> work. I'm not sure yet whether the problems are surmountable. It
>> would
>> be great to learn about prior experience.
>
> I don't know. I haven't had time to investigate that issue.

I believe that parallel spkg building was implemented and found to be
terribly buggy. Lots of packages did not play nice, IIRC: atlas and
gsl seem likely. Craig Citro might know more?

Nick

Message has been deleted

Robert Miller

Feb 9, 2010, 10:39:19 AM2/9/10
to sage-r...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 6:17 PM, Pat LeSmithe <qed...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  * Has anyone investigated building multiple spkgs in parallel, as long
> as they're independent?  I tried this last night, and it didn't simply
> work.  I'm not sure yet whether the problems are surmountable.  It would
> be great to learn about prior experience.

There is also this thread:

http://groups.google.com/group/sage-devel/browse_thread/thread/9e849c199b9cdec6/

Pat LeSmithe

Feb 11, 2010, 7:44:14 AM2/11/10
to sage-r...@googlegroups.com, Robert Miller

Thanks for the link. I think I have parallel inter/intra-spkg builds
working with make. I'll try to make a ticket soon.

I've updated

http://www.sagenb.org/home/pub/1530/

with a simple estimate of the parallelism

http://www.cprogramming.com/parallelism.html

which I hope is accurate within the simplified execution model, at least.

The data are from a completely serial build of Sage 4.3.2 on sage.math.
Total and top 10 spkg build times:

total 8070.0
sage 1996.0
python 701.0
atlas 685.0
singular 526.0
r 349.0
symmetrica 311.0
ntl 293.0
scipy 271.0
linbox 253.0
eclib 235.0

The critical path:

none -> libgpg_error -> libgcrypt -> opencdk -> gnutls -> python ->
atlas -> gsl -> linbox -> sage -> gap -> all

Pat LeSmithe

Feb 25, 2010, 1:07:45 PM2/25/10
to sage-r...@googlegroups.com, sage-...@googlegroups.com
On 02/11/2010 04:44 AM, Pat LeSmithe wrote:
> On 02/09/2010 07:39 AM, Robert Miller wrote:
>> On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 6:17 PM, Pat LeSmithe <qed...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> * Has anyone investigated building multiple spkgs in parallel, as long
>>> as they're independent? I tried this last night, and it didn't simply
>>> work. I'm not sure yet whether the problems are surmountable. It would
>>> be great to learn about prior experience.
>>
>> There is also this thread:
>>
>> http://groups.google.com/group/sage-devel/browse_thread/thread/9e849c199b9cdec6/
>
> Thanks for the link. I think I have parallel inter/intra-spkg builds
> working with make. I'll try to make a ticket soon.

Please see

for updated files and some notes.

This seems to work well on the Sage cluster. With a warm compiler cache

http://ccache.samba.org/

building Sage sans docs takes 15-20 minutes with

export MAKE="make -j20"

on an otherwise mostly idle sage.math. The long doctests pass (after I
build the docs). Feedback about other systems is welcome!

Possible tip: "sage -b" works in parallel with "make -jX" (no space) but
not with "make -j X".

William Stein

Feb 25, 2010, 2:30:37 PM2/25/10
On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 10:07 AM, Pat LeSmithe <qed...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 02/11/2010 04:44 AM, Pat LeSmithe wrote:
>>>
>>> There is also this thread:
>>>
>>> http://groups.google.com/group/sage-devel/browse_thread/thread/9e849c199b9cdec6/
>>
>> Thanks for the link.  I think I have parallel inter/intra-spkg builds
>> working with make.  I'll try to make a ticket soon.
>
> Please see
>
> http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/8306
>
> for updated files and some notes.
>
> This seems to work well on the Sage cluster.  With a warm compiler cache
>
> http://ccache.samba.org/
>
> building Sage sans docs takes 15-20 minutes with

Holy crap! WOW! That is really, really impressive.

William

> export MAKE="make -j20"
>
> on an otherwise mostly idle sage.math.  The long doctests pass (after I
> build the docs).  Feedback about other systems is welcome!
>
> Possible tip: "sage -b" works in parallel with "make -jX" (no space) but
> not with "make -j X".
>

> --

William Stein
Associate Professor of Mathematics