Supporting old worksheets

Jeroen Demeyer

Feb 10, 2012, 3:40:47 AM2/10/12
to sage-n...@googlegroups.com
What is the oldest kind of worksheet the new flask notebook supports?
I.e. if I am currently using sage-x.y.z locally and then switch to the
new Flask Notebook (either by upgrading or by a new install), for which
values of x.y.z will I still see my old worksheets?

This kind of backwards compatibility should certainly be tested.

Keshav Kini

Feb 10, 2012, 10:57:03 AM2/10/12
to sage-n...@googlegroups.com
Well, nobody has replied yet, so I'll say that to my knowledge, the worksheet file format (the .sws file / the text version of a worksheet) itself has not changed for a very long time. I don't think there have been backward-incompatible changes to the user account data either, but I'm not sure. Maybe someone more knowledgeable will come along and give you more info.

-Keshav

----
Join us in #sagemath on irc.freenode.net !

William Stein

Feb 10, 2012, 11:16:38 AM2/10/12
to sage-n...@googlegroups.com

On Friday, February 10, 2012, Jeroen Demeyer <jdem...@cage.ugent.be> wrote:
> What is the oldest kind of worksheet the new flask notebook supports?

At least 4 years old, i think.  The format changed in the 2010 rewite I did, but we maintained backwards compatibility.

My intention is that sws's from 2009 wilIl open in the sage notebook as long as the project is around.

However, we won't support pre2010 server directory upgrades, since they require the files in devel/sage/sage/server/

--
William Stein
Professor of Mathematics

kcrisman

Feb 10, 2012, 11:20:00 AM2/10/12
to sage-notebook

On Feb 10, 11:16 am, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Friday, February 10, 2012, Jeroen Demeyer <jdeme...@cage.ugent.be> wrote:
> > What is the oldest kind of worksheet the new flask notebook supports?
>
> At least 4 years old, i think.  The format changed in the 2010 rewite I
> did, but we maintained backwards compatibility.
>
> My intention is that sws's from 2009 wilIl open in the sage notebook as
> long as the project is around.
>
> However, we won't support pre2010 server directory upgrades, since they
> require the files in devel/sage/sage/server/

Can you give a Sage-x.y.z for that? I imagine that some university
installations may not upgrade very often - I could imagine some people
just letting Fall 2010 installations sit if they work fine.
Presumably we could add some sort of FAQ item in documentation for the
new server as to how to migrate (what version of Sage to download to
migrate them, I mean).

- kcrisman

Harald Schilly

Feb 10, 2012, 11:30:47 AM2/10/12
to sage-n...@googlegroups.com, Karl-Dieter Crisman
On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 17:20, kcrisman <kcri...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Can you give a Sage-x.y.z for that?

This is a list of all previous releases.
http://sagemath.org/src-old/

So, what you are looking for is probably 4.3. Release notes are also a
good place to check for further details …

William Stein

Feb 10, 2012, 12:31:13 PM2/10/12
to sage-n...@googlegroups.com, Karl-Dieter Crisman

Yes, that sounds right.

More importantly, it would be very useful if when we remove the code
from devel/sage/sage/server that is needed to migrate, we include an
error message that says: "Please migrate this Sage notebook server
install by installing a version of Sage between 4.3 and 4.8,
inclusive."

Incidentally, I also plan to support the format of the sage notebook
server files from 4.3 indefinitely. It doesn't involve any version
specific pickles, etc.

-- William

kcrisman

Feb 10, 2012, 1:18:26 PM2/10/12
to sage-notebook

On Feb 10, 12:31 pm, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 8:30 AM, Harald Schilly
>
> <harald.schi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 17:20, kcrisman <kcris...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Can you give a Sage-x.y.z for that?
>
> > This is a list of all previous releases.
> >http://sagemath.org/src-old/
>
> > So, what you are looking for is probably 4.3. Release notes are also a
> > good place to check for further details …
>
> Yes, that sounds right.
>
> More importantly, it would be very useful if when we remove the code
> from devel/sage/sage/server that is needed to migrate, we include an
> error message that says: "Please migrate this Sage notebook server
> install by installing a version of Sage between 4.3 and 4.8,
> inclusive."

I've put a note to that effect at #11409.