Geogebra 4 coming

kcrisman

Aug 11, 2011, 11:49:09 AM8/11/11
to sage-devel, sage...@googlegroups.com
I was mentioning Geogebra to a student today, and decided to see
what's up.

In brief, a lot! So this is an FYI to the Sage community.

Here, Hohenwarter's abstract on a talk for the upcoming Geogebra 4 at
their big conference - including GeogebraTube
http://ggbconference2011.pbworks.com/w/page/40058998/Hohenwarter-Keynote

A good overview by a fan of the new features - some are very nice,
obviously easier in Java than at the command line :)
http://mathandmultimedia.com/2011/06/12/the-geogebra-4-0-sneak-peek-series/

Especially for the sage-edu folks: In the meantime Geogebra has a
whole series of "Institutes" where you can get training and even
'certification'. Here is a sample website for such a place:
http://geogebraithaca.wikispaces.com/

I personally think this is something that would be great for Sage, but
our target clientele is (at the moment) significantly smaller, I think
- mostly college and up, and not the huge HS market.

There is also now a Midwest Geogebra Journal, Geogebra is now (at
least partly) on Google Code... Anyway, a lot going on, worth
pointing out.

Perhaps this gives additional incentive for people to work on
http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/7489. Does anyone know what
happened to Bruce Cohen's code where he took the stuff already there
and built a working prototype of the Geogebra integration in the
notebook? I don't see anything on that ticket.

- kcrisman

Rob Beezer

Aug 11, 2011, 1:41:22 PM8/11/11
to sage-edu
On Aug 11, 8:49 am, kcrisman <kcris...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Does anyone know what
> happened to Bruce Cohen's code where he took the stuff already there
> and built a working prototype of the Geogebra integration in the
> notebook?  I don't see anything on that ticket.

Are you thinking of html.iframe()?

Rob

kcrisman

Aug 11, 2011, 4:05:49 PM8/11/11
to sage-edu
I think so, except for the Geogebra part :)

Bruce Cohen

Aug 11, 2011, 3:46:48 PM8/11/11
to sage...@googlegroups.com, sage-devel, sage...@googlegroups.com
Sounds exciting.