ANN: Sage-Enhanced Abstract Algebra Textbook

Rob Beezer

Aug 11, 2011, 3:24:40 AM8/11/11
to sage-edu
(I posted this on sage-devel but forgot to cross-post on sage-edu.)

My "add Sage to Judson's open-source undergraduate abstract algebra
textbook" project is now done. Distribution has moved to the book's
web site. There is a PDF of just new content (for a quick peek), but
mostly a zip file of the entire book as Sage worksheets with the new
material present as code cells. There is also a collection of
worksheets that are just the exercises - for students to use as
vehicles for work they turn in.

http://abstract.ups.edu/sage-aata.html

By the Numbers:

~15 Sage patches
20 chapters supplemented (of 23 total)
92 exercises
270 "sageexample" environments
1050 outputs doctested

Thanks again to those who helped with patches to make this possible,
they are credited in the table at http://wiki.sagemath.org/devel/LatexToWorksheet

Next up: software to make this type of work possible for other
authors.

Rob