Problems building Sage with gcc 4.6.0

Dr. David Kirkby

Mar 29, 2011, 7:03:40 PM3/29/11
to sage-devel
I thought I'd try Sage with gcc 4.6.0, which was released a few days ago. After
installing gcc on my Sun Ultra 27 and trying to compile sage-4..7.alpha2, I get
3 failures. I run "make -k" to skip over errors. I'm hoping these are the only
three.

I suspect the PolyBoRi issue will only effect Solaris/OpenSolaris, but the lcalc
and singular issues will probably affect Linux and OS X too.

1) lcalc - no great surprise to me, as the Sun compiler has always refused to
build this code.

This is only confirmed on OpenSolaris. Perhaps others can report on the ticket
if this is an issue on Linux or OS X with gcc 4.6.0. I'll test later with
Solaris 10.

2) Singular
Only confirmed on OpenSolaris. Perhaps others can report on the ticket if this
is an issue on Linux or OS X with gcc 4.6.0. I'll test later with Solaris 10.

3) PolyBoRi
Only confirmed on OpenSolaris. I expect the same to be true on Solaris 10, but I
don't believe this will be an issue on Linux or OS X, as the problem is caused
by a Sun-specific compiler flag that gcc has ignored in the past, but now
reports as an error.

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?