GSOC

Joshua Herman

Feb 24, 2010, 12:41:12 AM2/24/10
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
Is sage doing GSOC? I was thinking I could make a mobile edition for sage.

---- LOOK ITS A SIGNATURE CLICK IF YOU DARE---
http://www.google.com/profiles/zitterbewegung

Burcin Erocal

Feb 24, 2010, 6:01:18 AM2/24/10
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Joshua,

On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 23:41:12 -0600
Joshua Herman <zitterb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is sage doing GSOC?

Yes! But we should start organizing early this year.

Last year we started the planning too late and didn't manage to arrange
a proper list of tasks and mentors in time for the application. Things
have improved in the meanwhile since there are already a few task lists
(e.g., notebook [1], symbolics[2], polyhedra[3]) on the wiki. I'm sure
we can make a wiki page pointing to all these and recycle the forms
from last year for an application. Does anybody know the deadlines?

[1] http://wiki.sagemath.org/devel/SageTasks
[2] http://wiki.sagemath.org/symbolics
[3] http://wiki.sagemath.org/PolyhedraWishList

> I was thinking I could make a mobile edition for
> sage.

What do you mean by a mobile edition? Do you want to make the notebook
compatible with different browsers and touchscreen interfaces or are
you interested in making Sage run on exotic devices?

Any of these would be a great contribution to Sage. Thanks for your
interest.

Cheers,
Burcin

Harald Schilly

Feb 24, 2010, 8:06:00 AM2/24/10
to sage-devel
On Feb 24, 12:01 pm, Burcin Erocal <bur...@erocal.org> wrote:
> Yes! But we should start organizing early this year.

And since sage wasn't accepted 3 times in a row (afaik) we should be
careful what we request. I think we have to drop all math-related
tasks. Just focus on things like "management", "server-
infrastructure", "webserver-design-blahh", ... and clear descriptions
with a good explanation what the result should be. Also a profile what
an interested student needs to know about. I'm willing to help writing
some text, ...

Joshua Herman

Feb 24, 2010, 11:01:58 AM2/24/10
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
I meant by a mobile edition
1. Make a mobile version of the notebook interface (Able to be used by
a mobile browser)
2. Get it to compile on arm and work on an android (If I have time)

---- LOOK ITS A SIGNATURE CLICK IF YOU DARE---
http://www.google.com/profiles/zitterbewegung

Joshua Herman

Feb 24, 2010, 11:04:48 AM2/24/10
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
Also looking at that website a Wave robot would be fun to to also. I
would need help with writing the application document
https://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AWHfMu95Txe_ZHRrNmNjY181MDFkZzVxNXBkMg&hl=en

---- LOOK ITS A SIGNATURE CLICK IF YOU DARE---
http://www.google.com/profiles/zitterbewegung

Sent from Chicago, Illinois, United States

Message has been deleted

Peter Jeremy

Feb 24, 2010, 2:59:04 PM2/24/10
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
On 2010-Feb-24 05:06:00 -0800, Harald Schilly <harald....@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Feb 24, 12:01 pm, Burcin Erocal <bur...@erocal.org> wrote:
>> Yes! But we should start organizing early this year.
>
>And since sage wasn't accepted 3 times in a row (afaik) we should be
>careful what we request. I think we have to drop all math-related
>tasks. Just focus on things like "management", "server-
>infrastructure", "webserver-design-blahh", ... and clear descriptions
>with a good explanation what the result should be.

Probably we need to have a closer read of where GSOC funding is
targetted. There may be a way to creatively word the proposals to
enhance their chances of being funded.

My other suggestion for GSOC tasks would be the various the porting
efforts (Windows, Solaris, FreeBSD). These don't require in-depth
maths skills and so could be attractive to a wider range of students.

--
Peter Jeremy

William Stein

Feb 24, 2010, 5:48:42 PM2/24/10
to sage-...@googlegroups.com

Yes, I think there should be a Sage GSOC application. I'm OK with
being listed as a mentor. However, I won't write the actual
application, since I wrote three applications in a row that were all
turned down, so clearly I don't know how to write one.

What happened last year, by the way, was that several people wanted to
write a GSOC application. However, nobody volunteered to mentor any
Sage-related GSOC projects at all. As a result, we did not even apply
to have Sage as a mentoring organization.

-- William

Nils Bruin

Feb 24, 2010, 6:51:36 PM2/24/10
to sage-devel
On Feb 24, 2:48 pm, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> What happened last year, by the way, was that several people wanted to
> write a GSOC application.  However, nobody volunteered to mentor any
> Sage-related GSOC projects at all.  As a result, we did not even apply
> to have Sage as a mentoring organization.

I will be supervising a 3rd year mathematics/computer science student
this summer to work on things that might end up in sage, so I am very
much interested in projects with as many of the following
characteristics as possible:
1) Allows the student to learn some interesting mathematics
2) does not require too much mathematics background
3) does not require knowledge of too many different components (he'll
only have 4 months, so if he needs all of them to familiarize himself
with the code then he won't be able to do anything interesting)
4) high potential for rewarding results

The lists Burcin pointed to above are already very useful, but if
people know other lists or problems, please let me know.

Joshua Herman

Feb 25, 2010, 12:12:38 AM2/25/10
to sage-...@googlegroups.com

Are you guys interested in adapting phcpack for sage? Its a solver for polynominal homotopy?

On Feb 24, 2010 5:51 PM, "Nils Bruin" <nbr...@sfu.ca> wrote:

On Feb 24, 2:48 pm, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:

> What happened last year, by the way, w...

I will be supervising a 3rd year mathematics/computer science student
this summer to work on things that might end up in sage, so I am very
much interested in projects with as many of the following
characteristics as possible:
 1) Allows the student to learn some interesting mathematics
 2) does not require too much mathematics background
 3) does not require knowledge of too many different components (he'll
only have 4 months, so if he needs all of them to familiarize himself
with the code then he won't be able to do anything interesting)
 4) high potential for rewarding results

The lists Burcin pointed to above are already very useful, but if
people know other lists or problems, please let me know.

Joshua Herman

Feb 25, 2010, 12:13:44 AM2/25/10
to sage-...@googlegroups.com

Link to http://www.math.uic.edu/~jan/download.html

On Feb 24, 2010 11:12 PM, "Joshua Herman" <zitterb...@gmail.com> wrote:

Are you guys interested in adapting phcpack for sage? Its a solver for polynominal homotopy?

> On Feb 24, 2010 5:51 PM, "Nils Bruin" <nbr...@sfu.ca> wrote:
>

> On Feb 24, 2:48 pm, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:

> What happened last year, by the way, w...

> I will be supervising a 3rd year mathematics/computer science student

> this summer to work on ...

Mike Hansen

Feb 25, 2010, 1:36:27 AM2/25/10
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 9:13 PM, Joshua Herman <zitterb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Link to http://www.math.uic.edu/~jan/download.html
>
> On Feb 24, 2010 11:12 PM, "Joshua Herman" <zitterb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Are you guys interested in adapting phcpack for sage? Its a solver for
> polynominal homotopy?

phcpack is already an optional package, and there is an interface to
it in sage/interfaces/phc.py, but maybe Marshall Hampton has a better
idea of improvements / work that could be done with it.

--MIke

Joshua Herman

Feb 25, 2010, 2:04:53 AM2/25/10
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
I sort of know the lead developer since he is my professor.

---- LOOK ITS A SIGNATURE CLICK IF YOU DARE---
http://www.google.com/profiles/zitterbewegung

David Joyner

Feb 25, 2010, 7:07:56 AM2/25/10
to sage-...@googlegroups.com

One thought is to make it easier to use the graph theory functionality to do
things useful in social network analysis. This would involve R and Sage and
NetworkX (all standard components). Lots of people are interested in
SNA, from google to the military. It would require some knowledge of
probability, statistics, and graph theory.

Message has been deleted

Nathann Cohen

Feb 25, 2010, 8:13:15 AM2/25/10
to sage-devel
Some people in my lab are using the graph library Jung:

http://jung.sourceforge.net/doc/api/index.html

They are particularly fond of measures of clustering and metrics that
I am not too impatient to rewrite in Sage, though it is not
necessarily a tough job :-)

Nathann

On Feb 25, 1:40 pm, Minh Nguyen <nguyenmi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 11:07 PM, David Joyner <wdjoy...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> <SNIP>

> > One thought is to make it easier to use the graph theory functionality to do
> > things useful in social network analysis. This would involve R and Sage and
> > NetworkX (all standard components). Lots of people are interested in
> > SNA, from google to the military. It would require some knowledge of
> > probability, statistics, and graph theory.
>

> NetworkX provides many useful features for social network analysis
> (SNA). A pressing concern at the moment is to get the NetworkX spkg in
> Sage upgraded to at least version >= 1.0; see ticket #7608
>
> http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/7608
>
> R has a third-party package for SNA. The R spkg was recently upgraded
> to version 2.10.1. I don't see what else one could do about R as
> NetworkX is (from my experience) much faster than R's sna package for
> SNA related functionalities (think of networks with tens of thousands
> of nodes). Over the last year, I have come across some feature
> requests on the NetworkX mailing list. With some questioning and
> literature search, it's possible to get an idea of what needs to be
> implemented/improved in NetworkX and/or Sage for SNA.
>
> --
> Regards
> Minh Van Nguyen

Jason Grout

Feb 25, 2010, 9:00:45 AM2/25/10
to sage-...@googlegroups.com

I have a small list of small projects. I started this list for my
students in a numerical analysis class (ideas for their final projects),
but I've added other stuff to it on occasion.

http://orion.math.iastate.edu/grout/sage

Some things on that list are small bug fixes that I should really put up
on trac...

Thanks,

Jason

mhampton

Feb 25, 2010, 9:19:48 AM2/25/10
to sage-devel
Hi Joshua,

As Mike pointed out, look in sage/interfaces/phc.py for what is
already there. At Jan Verschelde's request I also recently updated
the optional phcpack spkg to a recent version.

The problem with phcpack is that it is mostly written in Ada, and it
seems unlikely in the medium term to become a standard package because
of that. I have made some very minor attempts to write a homotopy
solver in cython but its a very low priority project for me at the
moment.

I would recommend talking to Jan Verschelde and seeing if he has any
suggestions for further work on integrating phcpack and sage. One
flaw right now is that the interface I wrote uses pexpect, instead of
the C interface that Jan and one of his students wrote recently. I'm
not sure that would really make much of an impact in speed though,
since parsing the output is not usually the bottleneck.

Right now the 1-variable case is broken, there is a trac ticket for
that (#4411). I have been lazy about fixing it since there are other
good tools in sage for 1-variable problems. Fixing that would be
pretty easy and give you a better idea of what the current
capabilities are.

There's also this @interact example on the wiki, which shows some of
the graphical possiblities of sage+phcpack:
http://wiki.sagemath.org/interact/algebra#NumericalSolutionsofPolynomialSystemswithPHCpack

-Marshall Hampton

On Feb 25, 12:36 am, Mike Hansen <mhan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 9:13 PM, Joshua Herman <zitterbeweg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Link tohttp://www.math.uic.edu/~jan/download.html

Dr. David Kirkby

Mar 1, 2010, 7:48:59 AM3/1/10
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
William Stein wrote:

> Yes, I think there should be a Sage GSOC application. I'm OK with
> being listed as a mentor. However, I won't write the actual
> application, since I wrote three applications in a row that were all
> turned down, so clearly I don't know how to write one.
>
> What happened last year, by the way, was that several people wanted to
> write a GSOC application. However, nobody volunteered to mentor any
> Sage-related GSOC projects at all. As a result, we did not even apply
> to have Sage as a mentoring organization.
>
> -- William

Perhaps one should consider what fits in best with the Google business model.

How about extending Google's "calculator" to have enhanced functionality like
Wolfram Alpha? i.e replace the calculator with Sage?

Dave

Harald Schilly

Mar 1, 2010, 8:22:36 AM3/1/10
to sage-devel
On Mar 1, 1:48 pm, "Dr. David Kirkby" <david.kir...@onetel.net> wrote:
> Perhaps one should consider what fits in best with the Google business model.

They organize information and make it universally useful. Sage doesn't
help and what you suggest only overlaps with their own search engine
efforts. Their vision is a search engine that gives you instantly the
answer you are looking for and websites only serve as references.
In my eyes, what they try to do with gsoc is a mix of sponsoring open
source projects (because they use them heavily ... i.e. they were
sponsors of the R project long before there was any gsoc at all) and
also do a mix of of marketing+recruiting for potential new employees.
So, what they look for is a project that helps them or a project where
these kind programmers are attracted that they want to have. Hence,
everything with pure mathematics is not on their list [yes, there is
google research, but that's not gsoc] and there are only very few math
related projects that were in gsoc in the past. That's why I already
wrote above that I think that the best chances are with "pure
informatics" related problems where already solutions exist. That must
be communicated in that way, too! I think of things like account
management, user management, interactive websites, compiler
(cython, ...), databases, and probably visualization.

greetings H

Robert Bradshaw

Mar 1, 2010, 2:02:14 PM3/1/10
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
On Mar 1, 2010, at 4:48 AM, Dr. David Kirkby wrote:

> William Stein wrote:
>
>> Yes, I think there should be a Sage GSOC application. I'm OK with
>> being listed as a mentor. However, I won't write the actual
>> application, since I wrote three applications in a row that were all
>> turned down, so clearly I don't know how to write one.
>> What happened last year, by the way, was that several people wanted
>> write a GSOC application. However, nobody volunteered to mentor any
>> Sage-related GSOC projects at all. As a result, we did not even
>> apply
>> to have Sage as a mentoring organization.

Of course a huge portion of the community already has their hands full
with full time mentoring (grad students, undergrads, etc).

> Perhaps one should consider what fits in best with the Google
> business model.
>
> How about extending Google's "calculator" to have enhanced
> functionality like Wolfram Alpha? i.e replace the calculator with
> Sage?

If they wanted this they would not be doing this as part of GSoC for
technical, legal, and pragmatic reasons.

GSoC is primarily a philanthropic and marketing program, and though it
of course provides direct benefits to them, they are often of the more
intangible sort.

- Robert