Name for NonNegativeIntegers

Nicolas Borie

May 31, 2010, 6:30:56 AM5/31/10
to sage-devel
Hello all!

I have a language question: which one of the following is the correct
name for the semiring of non-negative integers:

- NonNegativeIntegerSemiring
- NonNegativeIntegersSemiring

On IRC, Tim suggested :
(12:15:44) nborie: English Language question : we say Integer Ring,
not Integers Ring. What about Non Negative Integers ? Non Negative
Integer(s) Semiring ?
(12:16:18) timdumol: Non-negative Integer Semiring
(12:16:45) timdumol: Plurals are not generally used (if at all) as
noun adjectives.

I found both in sage :

- ModularFormsRing
- IntegerRing

Cheers,
Nicolas (the little).

Tim Joseph Dumol

May 31, 2010, 6:59:06 AM5/31/10
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 6:30 PM, Nicolas Borie <pou...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello all!

I have a language question: which one of the following is the correct
name for the semiring of non-negative integers:

 - NonNegativeIntegerSemiring
 - NonNegativeIntegersSemiring

On IRC, Tim suggested :
(12:15:44) nborie: English Language question : we say Integer Ring,
not Integers Ring. What about Non Negative Integers ? Non Negative
Integer(s) Semiring ?
(12:16:18) timdumol: Non-negative Integer Semiring
(12:16:45) timdumol: Plurals are not generally used (if at all) as
noun adjectives.

To expand:

Noun adjectives take the plural form only when they depict variety (different kinds/varieties) or when they are normally used in the plural form (sports, blues,...). As a Non-negative Integer Semiring does not contain multiple kinds of integers, it should take the singular form.

I found both in sage :

 - ModularFormsRing
 - IntegerRing

Cheers,
Nicolas (the little).

--
Tim Joseph Dumol <tim (at) timdumol (dot) com>
http://timdumol.com

John Cremona

May 31, 2010, 7:10:27 AM5/31/10
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
Note that there are many different rings of modular forms, not one,
but to be consistent we should probably change ModularFormsRing to
ModularFormRing. Compare also the general constructor PolynomialRing
which is not PolynomialsRing!

John