an interesting side-effect from ticket #6645

Minh Nguyen

Aug 19, 2009, 1:39:32 AM8/19/09
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
Hi folks,

Take a binary version of Sage 4.1.1 and do any of the following:

* make testoptional
* make testlong
* make ptest
* make ptestall
* make ptestlong
* make test
* make check

From ticket #6645

I would expect that the documentation wouldn't be (re)built before
running the test suite, and indeed that is the case with any of the
above commands. However, here is an interesting side-effect. If I
change some part of the reference manual, rebuilding the reference
manual doesn't reflect my changes. Well, the reference manual doesn't
even rebuild after I have made any changes. After making some changes
to the reference manual, my normal procedure for rebuilding it is to
do "./sage -b main" (or whatever branch I'm working in) followed by
"./sage -docbuild reference html". But now doing so doesn't even
rebuild the reference manual. I can force a rebuild using "./sage
-docbuild --jsmath reference html", but even this doesn't result in a
rebuilt reference manual that reflects my changes. Another option is
to completely nuke the directory

SAGE_ROOT/devel/sage-main/doc/output/html/en/reference/

and then rebuild using "./sage -docbuild reference html". In this
case, I see that my changes are reflected in the rebuilt reference
manual. Subsequent changes after that would also be shown once the
reference manual are rebuilt again.

--
Regards
Minh Van Nguyen

Robert Bradshaw

Aug 19, 2009, 2:46:51 AM8/19/09
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
On Aug 18, 2009, at 10:39 PM, Minh Nguyen wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> Take a binary version of Sage 4.1.1 and do any of the following:
>
> * make testoptional
> * make testlong
> * make ptest
> * make ptestall
> * make ptestlong
> * make test
> * make check

That feels like way to many commands that do almost the same thing,
on top of sage -test, sage -ptest, ...

Minh Nguyen

Aug 19, 2009, 2:53:28 AM8/19/09
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Robert,

On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 4:46 PM, Robert
Bradshaw<robe...@math.washington.edu> wrote:

> On Aug 18, 2009, at 10:39 PM, Minh Nguyen wrote:
>
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> Take a binary version of Sage 4.1.1 and do any of the following:
>>
>>  * make testoptional
>>  * make testlong
>>  * make ptest
>>  * make ptestall
>>  * make ptestlong
>>  * make test
>>  * make check
>
> That feels like way to many commands that do almost the same thing,
> on top of sage -test, sage -ptest, ...

Yeah, check out the file SAGE_ROOT/makefile for more redundancies :-)