NIST Digital Library of Mathematical Functions

Jason Grout

Nov 3, 2008, 12:46:48 PM11/3/08
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
Apparently some people are writing a replacement for Abramowitz and
Stegun's Handbook of Mathematical Functions with Formulas, Graphs, and
Mathematical Tables. The first preview of five chapters is here:
http://dlmf.nist.gov/

I noticed that the appendix on Software has maxima, pari/gp, mma, maple,
matlab, etc., but not Sage. I don't know who would be the one to
contact the editors, but it might be worth it to get Sage mentioned and
included in the tables, especially if this book takes on the stature and
longevity of the Abramowitz and Stegun's book.

The software list is here: http://dlmf.nist.gov/software/

They have a special category for open source software, which is nice.

Thanks,

Jason

Robert Bradshaw

Nov 3, 2008, 1:33:52 PM11/3/08
to sage-...@googlegroups.com

Interesting. I think Sage definitely belongs on this list, and could
probably fill out the entire line of functionality (or at least close).

- Robert

Burcin Erocal

Nov 7, 2008, 5:12:43 AM11/7/08
to sage-...@googlegroups.com

Is there any document to justify this claim?

I asked Peter Paule, the computer algebra editor of the DLMF, about how
to get Sage on that list. He asked for a list describing what
functionality related to special functions Sage can handle.

I don't think it is enough to say that Sage includes, GSL, Maxima and
Pari, so we should get the checks from all that rows at least. This
should be more about functions that are properly wrapped, and have a
consistent UI.

Maybe we should start a wiki page to collect this information?
Worksheets published on sagenb.org would also be great.

Unfortunately, I won't have any time to work on this at least until
next week.

Thanks.

Burcin

Robert Bradshaw

Nov 7, 2008, 11:28:29 AM11/7/08
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
On Nov 7, 2008, at 2:12 AM, Burcin Erocal wrote:

> On Mon, 3 Nov 2008 10:33:52 -0800
> Robert Bradshaw <robe...@math.washington.edu> wrote:
>

>> On Nov 3, 2008, at 9:46 AM, Jason Grout wrote:
>>
>>> Apparently some people are writing a replacement for Abramowitz and
>>> Stegun's Handbook of Mathematical Functions with Formulas, Graphs,
>>> and Mathematical Tables. The first preview of five chapters is
>>> here: http://dlmf.nist.gov/
>>>
>>> I noticed that the appendix on Software has maxima, pari/gp, mma,
>>> maple,
>>> matlab, etc., but not Sage. I don't know who would be the one to
>>> contact the editors, but it might be worth it to get Sage
>>> mentioned and
>>> included in the tables, especially if this book takes on the
>>> stature and
>>> longevity of the Abramowitz and Stegun's book.
>>>
>>> The software list is here: http://dlmf.nist.gov/software/
>>>
>>> They have a special category for open source software, which is
>>> nice.
>>
>> Interesting. I think Sage definitely belongs on this list, and could
>> probably fill out the entire line of functionality (or at least
>> close).
>
> Is there any document to justify this claim?

I just did random spot testing in the reference manual.

> I asked Peter Paule, the computer algebra editor of the DLMF, about
> how
> to get Sage on that list. He asked for a list describing what
> functionality related to special functions Sage can handle.
>
> I don't think it is enough to say that Sage includes, GSL, Maxima and
> Pari, so we should get the checks from all that rows at least. This
> should be more about functions that are properly wrapped, and have a
> consistent UI.
>
> Maybe we should start a wiki page to collect this information?
> Worksheets published on sagenb.org would also be great.
>
> Unfortunately, I won't have any time to work on this at least until
> next week.

Yep, my thoughts exactly. I didn't have time to do it at the moment
either :). Here's a stub page http://wiki.sagemath.org/dlmf

- Robert

Burcin Erocal

Nov 7, 2008, 5:00:51 PM11/7/08
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Robert,

On Fri, 7 Nov 2008 08:28:29 -0800
Robert Bradshaw <robe...@math.washington.edu> wrote:

I didn't mean that question for you, sorry if it sounded that way. It
was more of a general request.

<snip>

> > Maybe we should start a wiki page to collect this information?
> > Worksheets published on sagenb.org would also be great.
> >
> > Unfortunately, I won't have any time to work on this at least until
> > next week.
>
> Yep, my thoughts exactly. I didn't have time to do it at the moment
> either :). Here's a stub page http://wiki.sagemath.org/dlmf

Thanks for starting the page.

Cheers,

Burcin