Notebook changes for Ipod touch and Iphone

1 view

Michael Madison

Nov 25, 2009, 5:58:27 PM11/25/09
to sage-devel
Its great that Sage is already doing "Cloud" computing with sagenb. I
recently got a Ipod Touch and found sagenb worked well on it. It
looks like with Iphones, Touches and Androids the touch screen
interface is part of the future. While IPhones and Touches are not
good for hard core development it is nice for running and making small
changes to worksheets. However, from the Touch Tab completion and
creating a HTML text space above a cell does not work.

1. It would be nice if the notebook interface add a "+" or a area
above a cell to to open the HTML text space above a cell.

2. The Touch has no "Tab" key. It would be nice if there was some
other symbol after the period that would act as a "Tab completion".
Something like a "F./" or "F.//" or "F.?"

Thanks Mike

Dr. David Kirkby

Nov 25, 2009, 6:11:44 PM11/25/09
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
Some screen shots on a web site would be nice from things like phones,
Blackberries etc. I made some from a PDA for something else

http://witm.sourceforge.net/screenshots.php

I doubt my PDA still works (I've long since stopped using it, preferring to
carry a laptop).

I found it was best to use software to dump the screen to a file, then overlay
that on a picture of the PDA. Trying to do a simple photo of both the screen and
PDA at the same time was not too successful, as you need light for the PDA, but
do not want reflections from the screen.

I'd be interested to see what Sage looks like on a Blackberry, though I do not
have one, and have no intension of buying one.

Dave

William Stein

Nov 25, 2009, 8:04:06 PM11/25/09
to sage-devel
I was using sagenb.org a lot on my iphone last night and also thought
about this.
Another nice addition would be to use Tachyon instead of Java by
default to render 3d images on the iphone. I.e.,

I = icosahedron()
I.show(viewer='tachyon')

works fine on the iphone, but it is tedious to type viewer='tachyon'.

William

Gonzalo Tornaria

Nov 25, 2009, 9:06:06 PM11/25/09
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 11:04 PM, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Another nice addition would be to use Tachyon instead of Java by
> default to render 3d images on the iphone.  I.e.,
>
>    I = icosahedron()
>    I.show(viewer='tachyon')
>
> works fine on the iphone, but it is tedious to type viewer='tachyon'.

What about a global (per-worsheet?) way of choosing viewer (maybe with
a pull down at the top of the ws)?

Some of us don't have neither an iphone nor java. It /is/ tedious to
type viewer='tachyon'.

Best,
Gonzalo

William Stein

Nov 26, 2009, 12:55:33 AM11/26/09
to sage-devel
How about detecting whether or not the user has java, and if they
don't, make 3d images show with tachyon (for now) by default? And
soon when we have really nice interactive HTML5 canvas 3d, then use
that instead?

William