Fwd: Unsigned GeoGebra Applets

William Stein

Nov 11, 2009, 8:21:57 PM11/11/09
to Markus Hohenwarter, sage-devel
Dear Sage-Devel,

Markus Hohenwarter (lead developer of Geogebra) and I spent a lot of
time talking at a conference this summer in Barcelona. As a result,
he's created geogebra applets that both technically and legally (!)
can (hopefully) easily be integrated into the Sage notebook. See
below for more details. Is anybody interesting in trying this out?
Geogebra has hundreds of thousands of users and satisfy a real need
for a certain target audience that overlaps with our audience.

- William

From: Markus Hohenwarter <mar...@geogebra.org>
Date: Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 01:37
Subject: Unsigned GeoGebra Applets
To: geogeb...@googlegroups.com, geogebra-...@googlegroups.com

Dear friends,

we have just released GeoGebra Webstart 3.2.31.0
(http://www.geogebra.org/webstart/) and with it unsigned GeoGebra
applets. Here are the cool news:
* No more security question popping up for you or your students. This
means easier and faster use of GeoGebra applets.
* One-file-solution: now you can export your dynamic worksheet as a
single html file. This makes it very easy to include it on your own
website or send it to students. Just try "File, Export Dynamic
Worksheet" in the new WebStart version.

We have already updated all dynamic worksheets on the GeoGebra server
to use unsigned applets and thus come without the security question.
If you would like to learn more, please read the technical details of
unsigned GeoGebra applets:
http://www.geogebra.org/en/wiki/index.php/Unsigned_GeoGebra_Applets

All best wishes,
Markus & Mike

--
William Stein
Associate Professor of Mathematics

Dan Drake

Nov 11, 2009, 8:40:50 PM11/11/09
to sage-...@googlegroups.com, Markus Hohenwarter
On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 at 05:21PM -0800, William Stein wrote:
> Markus Hohenwarter (lead developer of Geogebra) and I spent a lot of
> time talking at a conference this summer in Barcelona. As a result,
> he's created geogebra applets that both technically and legally (!)
> can (hopefully) easily be integrated into the Sage notebook. See
> below for more details. Is anybody interesting in trying this out?
> Geogebra has hundreds of thousands of users and satisfy a real need
> for a certain target audience that overlaps with our audience.

I am interested, although I don't have a lot of time...just last week, I
downloaded GeoGebra for the very first time, and in maybe 45 minutes of
goofing around and reading documentation on the internet, made this:

http://mathsci.kaist.ac.kr/~drake/complex_cosine.html

(Try double-clicking on the applet to open up a full-fledged GeoGebra
editor!)

GeoGebra has its limitations, but clearly for some things it is
extremely useful, easy to use, and makes it trivial to put up things for
students. So I'll try it out.

Dan

--
--- Dan Drake
----- http://mathsci.kaist.ac.kr/~drake

signature.asc

William Stein

Nov 11, 2009, 9:14:35 PM11/11/09
to sage-...@googlegroups.com, Markus Hohenwarter

Cool. By the way, Markus adds:

"Dear William,

we'd be happy to help you get this into Sage. Just let me know if you
need our help.

All the best,
Markus"

So -- like with Jmol -- they will be very helpful.

William

kcrisman

Nov 11, 2009, 10:40:28 PM11/11/09
to sage-devel, sage...@googlegroups.com

On Nov 11, 8:21 pm, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Sage-Devel,
>
> Markus Hohenwarter (lead developer of Geogebra) and I spent a lot of
> time talking at a conference this summer in Barcelona. As a result,
> he's created geogebra applets that both technically and legally (!)
> can (hopefully) easily be integrated into the Sage notebook. See
> below for more details. Is anybody interesting in trying this out?
> Geogebra has hundreds of thousands of users and satisfy a real need
> for a certain target audience that overlaps with our audience.

William, this could be really great, for many reasons - perhaps even
funding. I am cc:ing this to sage-edu, as some people there probably
will be interested. I am certainly interested in trying it out, if I
can figure out how :)

How did you envision the applets integrated into the notebook - on an
on-demand basis for @interact-like things for specific purposes (say,
drawing hyperbolic triangles), as a menu option "insert a Geogebra
applet from list X here", or something more integrated than that into
the Sagenb spkg?

- kcrisman

> - William

William Stein

Nov 11, 2009, 11:47:07 PM11/11/09
to sage...@googlegroups.com, sage-devel, mar...@geogebra.org
On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 7:40 PM, kcrisman <kcri...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Nov 11, 8:21 pm, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Dear Sage-Devel,
>>
>> Markus Hohenwarter (lead developer of Geogebra) and I spent a lot of
>> time talking at a conference this summer in Barcelona.   As a result,
>> he's created geogebra applets that both technically and legally (!)
>> can (hopefully) easily be integrated into the Sage notebook.    See
>> below for more details.  Is anybody interesting in trying this out?
>> Geogebra has hundreds of thousands of users and satisfy a real need
>> for a certain target audience that overlaps with our audience.
>>

> William, this could be really great, for many reasons - perhaps even
> funding.  I am cc:ing this to sage-edu, as some people there probably
> will be interested. I am certainly interested in trying it out, if I
> can figure out how :)
>
> How did you envision the applets integrated into the notebook - on an
> on-demand basis for @interact-like things for specific purposes (say,
> drawing hyperbolic triangles), as a menu option "insert a Geogebra
> applet from list X here", or something more integrated than that into
> the Sagenb spkg?

For starters, I imagine a command, e.g.,

geogebra(various options???)

that results in a geogebra applet appearing? Then that could be used as a
building block for much, much more. What do you imagine?

And yes, I imagine the actual java applet's could go into sagenb at
some point...

William

mhampton

Nov 12, 2009, 10:49:07 AM11/12/09
to sage-devel
Cool, thanks Dan. That inspired me to actually take a good look at
geogebra. I think it would be fantastic to have this in the
notebook. I'm not sure I'll have enough time to seriously help in the
near future but I'll do what I can.

-Marshall

On Nov 11, 7:40 pm, Dan Drake <dr...@kaist.edu> wrote:
> I am interested, although I don't have a lot of time...just last week, I
> downloaded GeoGebra for the very first time, and in maybe 45 minutes of
> goofing around and reading documentation on the internet, made this:
>
> http://mathsci.kaist.ac.kr/~drake/complex_cosine.html
>
> (Try double-clicking on the applet to open up a full-fledged GeoGebra
> editor!)
>
> GeoGebra has its limitations, but clearly for some things it is
> extremely useful, easy to use, and makes it trivial to put up things for
> students. So I'll try it out.
>
> Dan
>
> --
> --- Dan Drake
> ----- http://mathsci.kaist.ac.kr/~drake
> -------
>
> signature.asc
> < 1KViewDownload

kcrisman

Nov 12, 2009, 11:19:07 AM11/12/09
to sage-devel, sage...@googlegroups.com
> > How did you envision the applets integrated into the notebook - on an
> > on-demand basis for @interact-like things for specific purposes (say,
> > drawing hyperbolic triangles), as a menu option "insert a Geogebra
> > applet from list X here", or something more integrated than that into
> > the Sagenb spkg?
>
> For starters, I imagine a command, e.g.,
>
>   geogebra(various options???)
>
> that results in a geogebra applet appearing?  Then that could be used as a
> building block for much, much more.   What do you imagine?
>
> And yes, I imagine the actual java applet's could go into sagenb at
> some point...
>
> William

Those ideas make a lot of sense. What would be good is to have some
"translation service" that would automatically turn interacts which
*could* be done in Geogebra (which would certainly not be all of them)
to be done that way, so that the real-time is much closer to
Manipulate and jmol. I only know how to create Geogebra things using
the GUI, but if there is an underlying text representation that would
be great.

Of course, I doubt that is even feasible, but even a @geogebra
decorator for the notebook which one could use in the same way as
@interact, and would have its own documentation, would be great. We
already have Java. Interestingly, since Geogebra uses Yacas, we would
potentially have access to Maxima, Yacas, etc. - but not sure if it
would be difficult to access things like that via Python->Java-
>Python.

- kcrisman

kcrisman

Nov 12, 2009, 11:27:52 AM11/12/09