NetworkX v0.99

Gustav Delius

Mar 20, 2009, 3:09:54 AM3/20/09
to sage-devel
I read that Sage was upgraded to using NetworkX v0.99 as of Sage
version 3.3. However on www.sagenb.org, one still has to use
networkx.XGraph() class even though that has been removed from
NetworkX v0.99. Why is that? I believe www.sagenb.org is running Sage
version 3.4. Was the upgrade to NetworkX v0.99 reversed when going to
Sage v 3.4? Why?

Mike Hansen

Mar 20, 2009, 7:30:07 AM3/20/09
to sage-devel
Hello,

On Mar 20, 12:09 am, Gustav Delius <gustav.del...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I read that Sage was upgraded to using NetworkX v0.99 as of Sage
> version 3.3. However onwww.sagenb.org, one still has to use
> networkx.XGraph() class even though that has been removed from
> NetworkX v0.99. Why is that? I believewww.sagenb.orgis running Sage
> version 3.4. Was the upgrade to NetworkX v0.99 reversed when going to
> Sage v 3.4? Why?

Thanks for letting us know about this. It was supposed to have been
upgraded at http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/4860 , but
the .spkg is messed up so that the old version is installed. (The
networkx-0.99 directory was under src/.) We'll fix this in the next
release.

--Mike

Gustav Delius

Mar 20, 2009, 7:49:38 AM3/20/09
to sage-devel
Mike, thanks a lot for having looked into this.

Gustav

On Mar 20, 12:30 pm, Mike Hansen <mhan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Mar 20, 12:09 am, Gustav Delius <gustav.del...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I read that Sage was upgraded to using NetworkX v0.99 as of Sage
> > version 3.3. However onwww.sagenb.org, one still has to use
> > networkx.XGraph() class even though that has been removed from
> > NetworkX v0.99. Why is that? I believewww.sagenb.orgisrunning Sage
> > version 3.4. Was the upgrade to NetworkX v0.99 reversed when going to
> > Sage v 3.4? Why?
>
> Thanks for letting us know about this.  It was supposed to have been
> upgraded athttp://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/4860, but

Minh Nguyen

Mar 21, 2009, 9:26:27 PM3/21/09
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 11:30 AM, Mike Hansen <mha...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On Mar 20, 12:09 am, Gustav Delius <gustav.del...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I read that Sage was upgraded to using NetworkX v0.99 as of Sage
>> version 3.3. However onwww.sagenb.org, one still has to use
>> networkx.XGraph() class even though that has been removed from
>> NetworkX v0.99. Why is that? I believewww.sagenb.orgis running Sage
>> version 3.4. Was the upgrade to NetworkX v0.99 reversed when going to
>> Sage v 3.4? Why?
>
> Thanks for letting us know about this. It was supposed to have been
> upgraded at http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/4860 , but
> the .spkg is messed up so that the old version is installed.

I'll take (some) credit for that, since I was the reviewer of ticket
#4860 :-) On a serious note, when I was reviewing that spkg, I _did_
notice some discrepancies between the spkg itself and the upstream
release at

http://networkx.lanl.gov/

One in particular was that the Python source files for NetworkX 0.99
in the spkg sort of followed the same directory structure as in the
version before 0.99. To me it looked very strange because in the
transition from 0.36 to 0.99, a lot of the .py files have been
restructured and moved around to various directories. But the big
catch of all (at least for me) is that the API in 0.99 is very
different from that in 0.36. Before actually giving my positive review
to #4860, I downloaded 0.99 from the NetworkX project site, dumped the
networkx-0.99 directory into the spkg directory for 0.36 and
over-writing previous files of the same names, packaged it as an spkg,
and used the command

sage -i

to install my custom spkg. But then, boom! Installation failed, so I
figured that I should stick with the spkg, a link to which is given on
the said ticket. I need to more closely learn how to manage an spkg,
in particular NetworkX. I'm still learning how to do this, by the way,
but from my reading of

http://www.sagemath.org/doc/developer/producing_spkgs.html

about producing new spkg, I can't figure out how to manage/update an
existing spkg. I must be missing something.

--
Regards
Minh Van Nguyen