Sage 3.4.1.alpha0 released

mabshoff

Mar 28, 2009, 2:31:23 PM3/28/09
to sage-devel
Hello folks,

this release is overdue, but here we go. We have loads of little
fixes, but also

* massive improvements to number fields (Francis Clarke)
* Cython 0.11 (upstream Cython team including Robert Bradshaw)
* rewrite fast_float to support more datatypes (Carl Witty)
* much better UTF8/unicode support in the notebook

Apologies to anyone I might have forgotten. Doctesting so far revealed
one new problem:

sage -t "devel/sage/sage/rings/number_field/
number_field_ideal_rel.py"
File "/space/wstein/farm/sage-3.4.1.alpha0/devel/sage/sage/rings/
number_field/number_field_ideal_rel.py", line 598:
sage: z = I.element_1_mod(J); z
Expected:
-8*b*a + 24
Got:
-21/2*b*a - 21/2

This issue is already in trac and has a patch that is part of a larger
patch.

Aside from the doctests failure that will pop up here is the plan for
3.4.1:

* downgrade GAP to 4.4.10 due to problems on Itanium
* upgrade to MPIR 1.0
* Merge the Brandt module patch at #5520
* SSE2 only support for ATLAS build

Sources as well as a sage.math only binary can be found in

http://sage.math.washington.edu/home/mabshoff/release-cycles-3.4.1/

Please build, test and report any issues.

Cheers,

Michael

Merged in Sage 3.4.1.alpha0:

#2129: William Stein, Ryan Hinton: implement "sage -t" for .spyx files
[Reviewed by Jason Grout]
#2551: Francis Clarke: __getitem__ for relative number field elements
is ... surprising [Reviewed by John Cremona, David Loeffler]
#3184: David Roe: broken p-adic getslice [Reviewed by David Harvey]
#3493: John Palmieri: Notes on Elliptic curves documentation [Reviewed
by William Stein]
#3820: Mike Hansen: notebook -- sometimes published worksheets are
listed as being published by pub [Reviewed by Timothy Clemans]
#4011: Mike Hansen: notebook -- copying a worksheet on worksheet
listings page results in the new worksheet being listed as running
[Reviewed by Timothy Clemans, Jason Grout]
#4547: Mike Hansen: The Sage Notebook doesn't specify the Content-Type
header in its response [Reviewed by Michael Abshoff, Timothy Clemans]
#4985: John Palmieri: Expand documentation for list_plot to point out
the utility of zip [Reviewed by Jason Grout]
#4987: Robert Bradshaw: Upgrade to Cython 0.11 [Reviewed by Carl
Witty, Michael Abshoff]
#5093: Carl Witty: rewrite fast_float to support more datatypes
[Reviewed by Jason Grout, Nick Alexander, Robert Bradshaw]
#5146: John Perry: implement MPolynomial_ideal.variety() for GF(p)
with p > than what Singular supports [Reviewed by Martin Albrecht]
#5200: Florent Hivert: subsets and subwords bug fix + improvements
[Reviewed by Nicolas Thiery, Mike Hansen]
#5204: John Cremona: simon_two_descent -- bug in the interface when
number field has variable name 'x' [Reviewed by Robert Miller]
#5211: Dan Drake: add charset header to worksheet html header
[Reviewed by Mike Hansen]
#5214: Francis Clarke: coercion to orders in relative number fields is
not implemented [Reviewed by John Cremona, David Loeffler]
#5223: William Stein, Burcin Erocal: silly bug in flint wrapper makes
it a factor of 10 slower for division of a polynomial by an integer
[Reviewed by Robert Bradshaw]
#5276: Francis Clarke: bug in creating polynomial ring over some rings
of integer [Reviewed by John Cremona, David Loeffler]
#5353: Mike Hansen: add xgcd for polynomial over GF(2) [Reviewed by
Yann Laigle-Chapuy]
#5359: John Palmieri: Block matrix viewing is broken [Reviewed by
Robert Bradshaw]
#5380: Minh Van Nguyen: devmap: allow to search for contributions by
trac username [Reviewed by Harald Schilly]
#5413: Carl Witty: deprecate substitution via __call__ w/ unnamed
arguments [Reviewed by Burcin Erocal, Jason Grout]
#5424: Robert Bradshaw: Move infinity to new coercion model [Reviewed
by David Roe]
#5433: John Palmieri: LaTeX fixes [Reviewed by Rob Beezer]
#5452: Sebastien Labbe: Graph broken on a input of type dict of dicts
[Reviewed by Robert Miller]
#5446: Carl Witty: RealIntervalField creates non-unique RealFields
[Reviewed by Craig Citro]
#5451: Burcin Erocal: Bug in addition of rational functions over a
finite field [Reviewed by Michael Abshoff]
#5460: John Palmieri: deprecate 'invert' in matrix_rational_dense
[Reviewed by Jason Grout, Rob Beezer]
#5465: Marshall Hampton: render3d for groebner fans is totally broken
[Reviewed by Minh Van Nguyen]
#5486: Martin Albrecht: fix bug in variety() for MPolynomialIdeals
[Reviewed by John Perry]
#5490: Phaedon Sinis: add capabilities to compute the day of Easter
[Reviewed by Chris Swierczewski]
#5493: Martin Albrecht: improve Sphinx documentation of sr.py
[Reviewed by Minh Van Nguyen]
#5495: John Palmieri: fix typo in error: "A mysterious error (perphaps
a memory error?)" *PERP*HAPS!!! [Reviewed by Minh Van Nguyen]
#5500: Robert Bradshaw: add remark to tutorial to make defining
functions at the command line much clearer [Reviewed by Minh Van
Nguyen]
#5508: Francis Clarke: Improvements for relative number fields
[Reviewed by John Cremona, David Loeffler]
#5509: Jason Grout: Make a parametric_plot.pyx docstring a raw string
because of a \times in it [Reviewed by William Stein]
#5518: John Cremona: Improve efficiency of multiplicative_order() for
number field elements [Reviewed by Francis Clarke]
#5519: Ryan Hinton: Irreducibility test is slow for polynomials over GF
(2) [Reviewed by Paul Zimmermann]
#5523: Charlie Odenthal: odd primary steenrod algebra fixes [Reviewed
by John Palmieri]
#5526: William Stein: get rid of including sse4_1 in local/lib/sage-
flags.txt [Reviewed by Michael Abshoff]
#5527: Minh Van Nguyen: more improvements to Sphinx documentation of
sr.py [Reviewed by Martin Albrecht]
#5529: Minh Van Nguyen: bring documentation of classical.py to 100%
[Reviewed by John Palmieri]
#5531: David Loeffler: Quaternion algebra docstring formatting needs
small fixes [Reviewed by Minh Van Nguyen]
#5535: Ryan Hinton: is_primitive is computes integer prime
factorization on every call [Reviewed by John Cremona]
#5536: John Palmieri: trivial docstring patches for permgp.py
[Reviewed by Minh Van Nguyen]
#5537: John Palmieri, Robert Bradshaw: bug in __cmp__ in
permgroup_element.pyx [Reviewed by John Palmieri, Rob Beezer]
#5540: John Palmieri: search_doc produces incorrect URLs [Reviewed by
Dan Drake]
#5542: Minh Van Nguyen: more docstring fixes for permgroup.py
[Reviewed by John Palmieri]
#5552: Karl-Dieter Crisman: plot_slope_field typo [Reviewed by Jason
Grout]
#5560: Ryan Hinton: NTL interface missing wrappers for vec_GF2 type
and GF2X::MinPolySeq [Reviewed by Martin Albrecht]
#5563: Georg Weber: Doctest failure in devel/sage/doc/en/bordeaux_2008/
modular_....rst [Reviewed by Minh Van Nguyen]
#5568: John Palmieri: a few latex methods [Reviewed by Rob Beezer]
#5569: Martin Albrecht: weil restriction of scalars [Reviewed by
William Stein]
#5570: John Palmieri: determinants of matrices over Z/nZ with n
composite are dog slow [Reviewed by William Stein]
#5575: William Stein: bug in span [Reviewed by John Cremona]
#5577: John Palmieri: typo in tutorial [Reviewed by Minh Van Nguyen]
#5578: Robert Bradshaw: elliptic curve local data cache ignores proof
flag [Reviewed by John Cremona]
#5589: Dan Drake: binomial() doesn't work with negative integers
[Reviewed by Carl Witty]
#5593: Nils Bruin: CremonaDB.conductor_range does not give a Python
style range [Reviewed by Robert Bradshaw, John Cremona]
#5613: William Stein: fix url to sage hg server; hg_sage.bundle(...)
[Reviewed by Michael Abshoff]

Jaap Spies

Mar 28, 2009, 2:42:13 PM3/28/09
to sage-...@googlegroups.com

I had the (only) doctest failure mentioned above on Fedore 9, 32 bit.

Jaap

John Cremona

Mar 28, 2009, 6:38:56 PM3/28/09
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
2009/3/28 mabshoff <mabs...@googlemail.com>:

> Hello folks,
>
> this release is overdue, but here we go. We have loads of little
> fixes, but also
>
>  * massive improvements to number fields (Francis Clarke)
>  * Cython 0.11 (upstream Cython team including Robert Bradshaw)
>  * rewrite fast_float to support more datatypes (Carl Witty)
>  * much better UTF8/unicode support in the notebook
>
> Apologies to anyone I might have forgotten. Doctesting so far revealed
> one new problem:
>
> sage -t  "devel/sage/sage/rings/number_field/
> number_field_ideal_rel.py"
> File "/space/wstein/farm/sage-3.4.1.alpha0/devel/sage/sage/rings/
> number_field/number_field_ideal_rel.py", line 598:
>    sage: z = I.element_1_mod(J); z
> Expected:
>    -8*b*a + 24
> Got:
>    -21/2*b*a - 21/2
>
> This issue is already in trac and has a patch that is part of a larger
> patch.

I also fixed this in the patch at #5513.

John

davidloeffler

Mar 29, 2009, 5:17:11 AM3/29/09
to sage-devel
I think I'm being credited with more than my fair share of reviewing
here:

> #2551: Francis Clarke: __getitem__ for relative number field elements
> is ... surprising [Reviewed by John Cremona, David Loeffler]
> #5214: Francis Clarke: coercion to orders in relative number fields is
> not implemented [Reviewed by John Cremona, David Loeffler]
> #5276: Francis Clarke: bug in creating polynomial ring over some rings
> of integer [Reviewed by John Cremona, David Loeffler]
> #5508: Francis Clarke: Improvements for relative number fields
> [Reviewed by John Cremona, David Loeffler]

I had nothing to do with any of this, save pointing out that
fwclarke's patch fixes #4193 as well, which presumably gets me a
reviewer credit for #4193 once that is closed; but I contributed
nothing to reviewing the patch itself.

BTW:

> sage -t "devel/sage/sage/rings/number_field/
> number_field_ideal_rel.py"
>
> This issue is already in trac and has a patch that is part of a larger
> patch.

That is my patch for #5159 -- improvements to Galois groups -- which
has been 90% reviewed, positively, and just needs somebody to OK a
trivial unpickling bugfix and few minor documentation changes for it
to go in; this will provide some functionality that has been sought
after since ancient times (ticket #133).

David

John Cremona

Mar 30, 2009, 9:25:47 AM3/30/09
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
2009/3/28 mabshoff <mabs...@googlemail.com>:

> Hello folks,

> Sources as well as a sage.math only binary can be found in
>
> http://sage.math.washington.edu/home/mabshoff/release-cycles-3.4.1/

I have been unable to connect here all day.

John

William Stein

Mar 30, 2009, 10:15:15 AM3/30/09
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 6:25 AM, John Cremona <john.c...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2009/3/28 mabshoff <mabs...@googlemail.com>:
>>
>> Hello folks,
>

>> Sources as well as a sage.math only binary can be found in
>>
>>    http://sage.math.washington.edu/home/mabshoff/release-cycles-3.4.1/
>
> I have been unable to connect here all day.

I don't know what has messed up sage.math. But you can get to the
same files at

http://boxen.math.washington.edu/home/mabshoff/release-cycles-3.4.1/

since they are all really stored on another machine (disk.math), and
boxen also has a webserver serving everything.

William

John Cremona

Mar 30, 2009, 10:22:58 AM3/30/09
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
thanks!

John

William Stein

Mar 30, 2009, 10:23:02 AM3/30/09
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 6:25 AM, John Cremona <john.c...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2009/3/28 mabshoff <mabs...@googlemail.com>:
>>
>> Hello folks,
>

>> Sources as well as a sage.math only binary can be found in
>>
>>    http://sage.math.washington.edu/home/mabshoff/release-cycles-3.4.1/
>
> I have been unable to connect here all day.
>
> John

I'm remotely power cycling sage.math (over the web!) so it should be
back in a few minutes. In case you're curious, here's what the
console looked like:

http://wstein.org/home/wstein/tmp/sage.math.crash.png

sage.math hadn't actually crashed -- pings were fine, but ssh wasn't
working and the console wasn't responsive. The above image shows
apache2 processes using up all memory, so maybe there is a bug in
apache2. I don't know.

-- William

Ryan Hinton

Mar 30, 2009, 10:29:10 AM3/30/09
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
Michael,

I'm not entirely sure of the protocol for giving credit, but M.Albrecht
also helped with #5519 and #5535, and C.Witty looked over my patch for
#5535.

Thanks!

- Ryan

Justin C. Walker

Mar 30, 2009, 8:02:00 PM3/30/09
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
Hi, all,

On Mar 28, 2009, at 11:31 , mabshoff wrote:

> this release is overdue, but here we go. We have loads of little
> fixes, but also

> Sources as well as a sage.math only binary can be found in
>
> http://sage.math.washington.edu/home/mabshoff/release-cycles-3.4.1/

I upgraded from 3.4.rc1, which was itself an upgrade from a full build
of 3.4.alpha0. The log is at

sage.math.washington.edu:~justin/logs/Upgrade-3.4.1a0.log

The upgrade did not terminate cleanly:

sage-spkg sage-3.4.1.alpha0
You must set the SAGE_ROOT environment variable or
run this script from the SAGE_ROOT or
SAGE_ROOT/local/bin/ directory.
sage-3.4.1.alpha0
Machine:
Darwin c-71-198-177-168.hsd1.ca.comcast.net 9.6.0 Darwin Kernel
Version 9.6.0: Mon Nov 24 1
7:37:00 PST 2008; root:xnu-1228.9.59~1/RELEASE_I386 i386
sage: sage-3.4.1.alpha0 is already installed
cd /Users/tmp/sage-3.4.alpha0 && . local/bin/sage-env && cd local/bin/
&& ./sage-make_relat
ive
Making script relocatable
sage-spkg gap-4.4.12.p1 2>&1
You must set the SAGE_ROOT environment variable or
run this script from the SAGE_ROOT or
SAGE_ROOT/local/bin/ directory.
gap-4.4.12.p1
Machine:
Darwin c-71-198-177-168.hsd1.ca.comcast.net 9.6.0 Darwin Kernel
Version 9.6.0: Mon Nov 24 1
7:37:00 PST 2008; root:xnu-1228.9.59~1/RELEASE_I386 i386
sage: gap-4.4.12.p1 is already installed

real 0m0.163s
user 0m0.061s
sys 0m0.110s
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/Users/tmp/sage-3.4.alpha0/devel/sage/doc/common/builder.py",
line 672, in <module>
getattr(get_builder(name), type)(*args)
AttributeError: 'DocBuilder' object has no attribute 'all'

I'm not sure what's up here (the packages sage-3.4.1.alpha0 and
gap-4.4.12.p1 seem to be processed twice; see the log).

Thoughts? Start from scratch?

Justin

--
Justin C. Walker
Curmudgeon at Large

William Stein

Mar 30, 2009, 10:34:18 PM3/30/09
to sage-...@googlegroups.com

Could you start with a fresh devel/sage directory? I.e., Just delete
(or move out of the way) devel/sage-main and devel/sage, then do
sage -f sage-3.4.alpha0
then after that finishes, do "sage -upgrade" to be sure.

William

Justin C. Walker

Mar 30, 2009, 11:01:47 PM3/30/09
to sage-...@googlegroups.com

On Mar 30, 2009, at 19:34 , William Stein wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 5:02 PM, Justin C. Walker <jus...@mac.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi, all,
>>
>> On Mar 28, 2009, at 11:31 , mabshoff wrote:
>>
>>> this release is overdue, but here we go. We have loads of little
>>> fixes, but also
>>
>>> Sources as well as a sage.math only binary can be found in
>>>
>>> http://sage.math.washington.edu/home/mabshoff/release-cycles-3.4.1/
>>
>> I upgraded from 3.4.rc1, which was itself an upgrade from a full
>> build
>> of 3.4.alpha0. The log is at
>>
>> sage.math.washington.edu:~justin/logs/Upgrade-3.4.1a0.log
>>
>> The upgrade did not terminate cleanly:

[snip]

> Could you start with a fresh devel/sage directory? I.e., Just delete
> (or move out of the way) devel/sage-main and devel/sage, then do
> sage -f sage-3.4.alpha0
> then after that finishes, do "sage -upgrade" to be sure.

I could try :-}

First, while doing the above, I noted that $SAGE_ROOT (where I did the
upgrade) was kind of borked: it contained two spkg's (examples,
cython) and an empty file named 'install'.

I moved the spkg's out of the way, 86'd the empty file, and tried the
"./sage -f sage-3.4.alpha0".

I got the following:

Force installing sage-3.4.alpha0
Calling sage-spkg on sage-3.4.alpha0

You must set the SAGE_ROOT environment variable or
run this script from the SAGE_ROOT or
SAGE_ROOT/local/bin/ directory.

sage-3.4.alpha0

Machine:
Darwin c-71-198-177-168.hsd1.ca.comcast.net 9.6.0 Darwin Kernel

Version 9.6.0: Mon Nov 24 17:37:00 PST 2008; root:xnu-1228.9.59~1/
RELEASE_I386 i386
Deleting directories from past builds of previous/current versions of
sage-3.4.alpha0
/Users/tmp/sage-3.4.alpha0/local/bin/sage-spkg: file sage-3.4.alpha0
does not exist
Attempting to download it.
http://www.sagemath.org//packages/optional/sage-3.4.alpha0.spkg -->
sage-3.4.alpha0.spkg
[ ]
http://www.sagemath.org//packages/standard/sage-3.4.alpha0.spkg -->
sage-3.4.alpha0.spkg
[ ]
http://www.sagemath.org//packages/experimental/sage-3.4.alpha0.spkg --
> sage-3.4.alpha0.spkg
[ ]
http://www.sagemath.org//packages/archive/sage-3.4.alpha0.spkg -->
sage-3.4.alpha0.spkg
[ ]
* Unable to download sage-3.4.alpha0
* Please see http://www.sagemath.org//packages for a list of valid
* packages or check the package name.
sage: Failed to download package sage-3.4.alpha0 from http://www.sagemath.org/

I did run this in $SAGE_ROOT (not sure if the complaint is boilerplate
or real).

Time to drop back 10 and punt?

Justin

--
Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon at Large
-----------

Michael Abshoff

Mar 31, 2009, 12:14:33 AM3/31/09
to sage-devel

On Mar 30, 7:29 am, Ryan Hinton <iob...@email.com> wrote:
> Michael,
>
> I'm not entirely sure of the protocol for giving credit, but M.Albrecht
> also helped with #5519 and #5535, and C.Witty looked over my patch for
> #5535.
>
> Thanks!
>
> - Ryan

Ok, when I understand you correctly the credits for those two patches
should look like

#5519: Ryan Hinton, Martin Albrecht: Irreducibility test is slow for
polynomials over GF(2) [Reviewed by Paul Zimmermann, Carl Witty]
#5535: Ryan Hinton, Martin Albrecht: is_primitive is computes integer
prime factorization on every call [Reviewed by John Cremona]

Cheers,

Michael

mabshoff

Mar 31, 2009, 12:19:02 AM3/31/09
to sage-devel

On Mar 29, 2:17 am, davidloeffler <dave.loeff...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi David,

> I think I'm being credited with more than my fair share of reviewing
> here:
>
> > #2551: Francis Clarke: __getitem__ for relative number field elements
> > is ... surprising [Reviewed by John Cremona, David Loeffler]
> > #5214: Francis Clarke: coercion to orders in relative number fields is
> > not implemented [Reviewed by John Cremona, David Loeffler]
> > #5276: Francis Clarke: bug in creating polynomial ring over some rings
> > of integer [Reviewed by John Cremona, David Loeffler]
> > #5508: Francis Clarke: Improvements for relative number fields
> > [Reviewed by John Cremona, David Loeffler]
>
> I had nothing to do with any of this, save pointing out that
> fwclarke's patch fixes #4193 as well, which presumably gets me a
> reviewer credit for #4193 once that is closed; but I contributed
> nothing to reviewing the patch itself.

Ok, I have removed your review credit from the tickets you mentioned
above. It was transitive credit from #5508 and I figured I should err
on the side of caution.

> BTW:
>
> > sage -t  "devel/sage/sage/rings/number_field/
> > number_field_ideal_rel.py"
>
> > This issue is already in trac and has a patch that is part of a larger
> > patch.
>
> That is my patch for #5159 -- improvements to Galois groups -- which
> has been 90% reviewed, positively, and just needs somebody to OK a
> trivial unpickling bugfix and few minor documentation changes for it
> to go in; this will provide some functionality that has been sought
> after since ancient times (ticket #133).
>
> David

Yeah, one of John's patches also fixes it, but since #5159 needs one
final review and I am merging for 3.4.1.rc0 right now I might patch
that one fix out. We will see ...

Cheers,

Michael

William Stein