Organizing Sage worksheets: tags or categories?

Brian Granger

Sep 3, 2009, 5:17:07 PM9/3/09
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Is there any way of organizing worksheets on a Sage notebook server?  If you have many worksheets, it can be difficult to find them
and it would be nice to be able to organize them using tags, categories or folders.  One example of this would be if wanted to write a chapter based book
using the notebooks.  Then all the chapters could be a worksheet and all the worksheets could go into a single folder/tag.

Thanks!

Brian

William A. Stein

Sep 3, 2009, 5:19:01 PM9/3/09
to sage-...@googlegroups.com

No, there is no way to organize worksheets. I'll implement something
next month. What should my highest priority be?

In practice, what I do is put something helpful in the title (a sort
of tag), then use the text search in the upper right to locate all
worksheets with that in them.

William

Brian Granger

Sep 3, 2009, 7:05:38 PM9/3/09
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
> Is there any way of organizing worksheets on a Sage notebook
> server?  If you have many worksheets, it can be difficult to find them
> and it would be nice to be able to organize them using tags,
> categories or folders.  One example of this would be if wanted to
> write a chapter based book
> using the notebooks.  Then all the chapters could be a worksheet and
> all the worksheets could go into a single folder/tag.

No, there is no way to organize worksheets.   I'll implement something
next month.  What should my highest priority be?

Thanks, that would be fantastic!  I think the simplest thing to implement is a tag/label based system like gmail has.  That is nice because you can have multiple tags/labels on a single worksheet.  The thing that would make this most useful is if the tag could be embedded into the url:

mysagenbserver.com/bgranger/tags/physics  # Show all my notebooks with 'physics' in tags
mysagenbserver.com/pub/tags/physics # Show all published notebooks with 'physics' in tags

That way it would be very simple to organize notebooks for classes/topics/etc. by tag and share them with other people (like students).

In practice, what I do is put something helpful in the title (a sort
of tag), then use the text search in the upper right to locate all
worksheets with that in them.

OK, that will get me by for now.

Cheers,

Brian

PS - I am currently in the process of getting some servers for our department - one of the main uses will be to run sage notebook servers for our Physics classes here at Cal Poly.

William

William Stein

Sep 3, 2009, 7:28:03 PM9/3/09
to sage-devel
2009/9/3 Brian Granger <elliso...@gmail.com>:

Here's my scraps of notes related to notebook work for Oct - Dec, by the way:

http://sage.math.washington.edu/home/wstein/tmp/sageuse/

William

Pat LeSmithe

Sep 3, 2009, 8:44:35 PM9/3/09
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
William Stein wrote:
> Here's my scraps of notes related to notebook work for Oct - Dec, by the way:
> http://sage.math.washington.edu/home/wstein/tmp/sageuse/

Assuming it's OK, I've started to organize / summarize ideas.txt at

http://wiki.sagemath.org/SageUsability

Please feel free to amend, annotate, append, etc.

William Stein

Sep 4, 2009, 12:05:53 AM9/4/09
to sage-devel
2009/9/3 Pat LeSmithe <qed...@gmail.com>: