MPIR and GMP: an announcement

MPIR Team

Apr 1, 2010, 3:39:35 AM4/1/10
to sage-devel
Dear Developers,

As many will be aware, we posted recently about the baseless and
unsubstantiated allegations on the GMP website and promised to
respond.

We had anticipated that merely drawing attention to this material
would lead to unprecedented public outrage and negativity towards
MPIR. Of course, no publicity is bad publicity and we felt that this
latest advertising would be the best yet. But sadly, the wave of extra
developer effort we anticipated from this just hasn't materialised.

After spending a few thousand dollars of precious funding on focus
groups and
taking prospective developers to dinner, we believe we've identified
the reason. The wave of hype did lead to a flurry of activity, but
just not in the anticipated direction.

As a result of this research, we've made some significant changes to
our
strategy. In particular, we wish to make an announcement:

In a desire to allow people to spend less time fruitlessly searching
MPIR releases for non-existent license infringements and hence more
time on new code for our benefit, we have decided today to consider
publishing future versions of MPIR under LGPL v3+ terms.

We'd like the community to comment on this proposal. An announcement
of our first v3+ version of MPIR will be forthcoming in a few days.

Best Wishes

The MPIR Team.

MPIR: "building our eMPIRe one bignum at a time"
"arithmetic without imitation"

P.S: a <sponsor | http://tinyurl.com/y9dky9z> has expressed interest
in a different <license | http://tinyurl.com/yhlegke>.

David Kirkby

Apr 1, 2010, 6:23:41 AM4/1/10
to sage-...@googlegroups.com

This stikes me as admitting the GMP developers are correct in their
claims, which you should not do if they are incorrect.

If the GMP developers are incorect in their claims, ask them to give
you a couple of examples of the copied code. So far, I've not seen any
such example provided by them.

For the MPIR team to claim this license change is so people can spend
less time fruitlessly searching the MPIR releases for non-existent
license infringements, seems a bit lame to me.

Has the decision to release a GPL v3+ version alreadly been made? Your
email implies you are asking for comments, but to say the announcement
of your first v3+ version of MPIR will be forthcoming in a few days
suggests you have already made the decision. If the decision has been
made, there is not a lot of point in asking for comments.

Dave

Robert Miller

Apr 1, 2010, 10:48:44 AM4/1/10
to sage-...@googlegroups.com

David Kirkby wrote:
> This stikes me as admitting the GMP developers are correct in their
> claims, which you should not do if they are incorrect.

This just obviates the need to defend against such claims. And now
anything released in current or future versions of GMP is fair game
:).

Personally, I don't see how accusations of using open source code in
other open source code can be taken seriously in the first place. The
only thing which does make me seriously think about it is the fact
that I want to be sure that people will follow the GPL/LGPL license to
the letter, whatever the subtle requirements might be. With MPIR
licensed under v3+, it will be possible to use more code than before,
resulting in better quality, more sharing, and hopefully, less
bickering in the future.

--
Robert L. Miller
http://www.rlmiller.org/

Francesco Biscani

Apr 1, 2010, 10:58:41 AM4/1/10
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
Erm, April 1st?

Francesco.

Tom Boothby

Apr 1, 2010, 11:49:51 AM4/1/10
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 7:58 AM, Francesco Biscani <blues...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Erm, April 1st?

An Australian, playing a prank? I shouldn't think they'd know how.
They're such a serious bunch. I've hardly even seen Bill crack a
smile, let alone laugh!

Besides, if this was April 1st, I'd have read about it on Slashdot,
and there's nothing silly going on over there today, either.

Jaap Spies

Apr 1, 2010, 12:21:44 PM4/1/10
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
Tom Boothby wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 7:58 AM, Francesco Biscani<blues...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Erm, April 1st?
>
> An Australian, playing a prank? I shouldn't think they'd know how.
> They're such a serious bunch. I've hardly even seen Bill crack a
> smile, let alone laugh!

You clearly didn't met him at dinner with a glass of good Australian wine.

Jaap

John Cremona

Apr 1, 2010, 12:32:21 PM4/1/10
to sage-...@googlegroups.com

Experimental evidence may be gathered in July, since Bill will be one
of several people from Warwick at the Sage Days in Leiden!

John

> Jaap

Francesco Biscani

Apr 1, 2010, 12:33:05 PM4/1/10
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
I'm having a hard time understanding whether this thread is flooding
with sarcasm or is completely devoid of it.

;)

Francesco.

Dr. David Kirkby

Apr 1, 2010, 12:45:24 PM4/1/10
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
Francesco Biscani wrote:
> I'm having a hard time understanding whether this thread is flooding
> with sarcasm or is completely devoid of it.
>
> ;)
>
> Francesco.

I believe this is an April fools joke, which I fell for.

The link at the bottom of the message

http://tinyurl.com/y9dky9z

points to a site

http://www.april.org.uk

Dave

Robert Dodier

Apr 1, 2010, 12:45:44 PM4/1/10
to sage-devel
On Apr 1, 10:21 am, Jaap Spies <j.sp...@hccnet.nl> wrote:

> You clearly didn't met him at dinner with a glass of good Australian wine.

"Alt Smakey 1968" has been compared favourably to a Welsh
claret, whilst the Australian wino society thouroughly
recommend a 1970 "Cote du Rod Laver", which, believe me, has a
kick on it like a mule: eight bottles of this, and you're really
finished -- at the opening of the Sydney Bridge Club, they were
fishing them out of the main sewers every half an hour.

FYI

Robert "not as clever as Eric Idle" Dodier

Jaap Spies

Apr 1, 2010, 12:54:24 PM4/1/10
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
John Cremona wrote:
> On 1 April 2010 17:21, Jaap Spies<j.s...@hccnet.nl> wrote:
>> Tom Boothby wrote:

>>> An Australian, playing a prank? I shouldn't think they'd know how.
>>> They're such a serious bunch. I've hardly even seen Bill crack a
>>> smile, let alone laugh!
>>>

>> You clearly didn't met him at dinner with a glass of good Australian wine..

> Experimental evidence may be gathered in July, since Bill will be one
> of several people from Warwick at the Sage Days in Leiden!

I'll be there :-)!

Jaap