Sage 3.4 sources released

mabshoff

Mar 12, 2009, 3:29:36 AM3/12/09
to sage-devel
Hello folks,

after more delay than hoped for here goes the final 3.4. Sources are
available from

http://www.sagemath.org/src/

Upgrading Sage via the official channel also works already. There is
also a sage.math only binary in

http://sage.math.washington.edu/home/mabshoff/release-cycles-3.4/

Note that there is a difference between the 3.4 tarball posted over
the last day and what is now on sagemath.org, but the difference is
small, i.e. #5498.

William and I are building binaries right now which should be
mirroring out in the next half day or so just in time for the Arizona
Winter School. Compared to rc0 there is now mainly ReST documentation
polish as well as the rewritten Quaternion code.

Cheers,

Michael

Merged in Sage 3.4:

#5498: William Stein: fix weird weird bug in maxima.py and garbage
collection [Reviewed by Michael Abshoff]

Merged in Sage 3.4.final:

#4640: Michael Abshoff: Do not dot out the number of pickles in the
pickle jar doctest in sage/structure/sage_object.pyx, update pickle
jar [Reviewed by William Stein]
#5435: Carl Witty: sage-ptest "Using cached timings." message could be
better [Reviewed by Mike Hansen]
#5409: William Stein, Jonathan Bober, John Voight: rewrite quaternion
algebras -- the current implementation isn't sufficiently good
[Reviewed by Gonzalo Tonaria, John Voight, Michael Abshoff]
#5414: Mike Hansen: notebook help: the live documentation list are
broken after the doc removal [Reviewed by Michael Abshoff]
#5455: William Stein: gap-4.4.12 -- workspaces broken on iras (itanium
Linux) [Reviewed by Michael Abshoff]
#5461: Michael Abshoff: make -bdist build OSX app only on demand
[Reviewed by William Stein]
#5463: John Palmieri: new section for tutorial about functions vs.
expressions, etc [Reviewed by William Stein]
#5466: Mike Hansen: Make symbolic variables unpickle uniquely
[Reviewed by Georg Weber]
#5469: Mike Hansen: sage -clone ... should copy the sage/doc/output
directory [Reviewed by Michael Abshoff]
#5472: John Palmieri: typo in developer's guide [Reviewed by Michael
Abshoff]
#5474: John Palmieri: delimiters for LaTeX representation of matrices
[Reviewed by William Stein]
#5476: William Stein: dimension of jacobian of curves broken [Reviewed
by Mike Hansen]

Merged in Sage 3.4.rc1:

#5099: Florent Hivert: rank for trivial mod n sparse matrices is
broken [Reviewed by John Palmieri]
#5220: Jason Grout: Weird or non-appearance of default in input_box in
interact [Reviewed by William Stein]
#5368: Bill Cauchois: plot3d is broken when variables not given
[Reviewed by William Stein]
#5408: Rob Breezer: Matrix kernel with PARI algorithm passes wrong
type [Reviewed by John Cremona]
#5416: Carl Witty: miscellaneous documentation fixes [Reviewed by Minh
Van Nguyen]
#5421: Robert Miller: Speedup is_isomorphic [Reviewed by Nick
Alexander]
#5428: Georg Weber: Doctest failure in devel/sage/doc/en/bordeaux_2008/
method_of_graphs.rst [Reviewed by Michael Abshoff]
#5436: Minh Van Nguyen: more miscellaneous typos [Reviewed by Michael
Abshoff]
#5437: William Stein: pickle jar -- make it run through in order
[Reviewed by Michael Abshoff]
#5432: Nicolas Thiery: sage-combinat fixes: sage calls and qselect
[Reviewed by Florent Hivert]
#5434: Carl Witty: .shift() of a zero polynomial is broken [Reviewed
by William Stein]
#5443: Craig Citro: Segfault in congruence subgroup element code
#5445: Carl Witty: coercion is very slow when new coercions are
discovered [Reviewed by Robert Bradshaw]

Jason Grout

Mar 12, 2009, 3:35:51 AM3/12/09
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
mabshoff wrote:
> #5220: Jason Grout: Weird or non-appearance of default in input_box in
> interact [Reviewed by William Stein]

William should get credit for this as well. I think it'd be best to
list us both as authors and as reviewers.

Thanks,

Jason

mabshoff

Mar 12, 2009, 4:09:37 AM3/12/09
to sage-devel
Cool - done.

> Thanks,
>
> Jason

Cheers,

Michael

David M. Monarres

Mar 12, 2009, 12:54:19 PM3/12/09
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
I am getting 1 error on sage -testall after an upgrade from 3.3 to
3.4 on Mac OS 10.5.6.

sage -t "devel/sage/sage/schemes/elliptic_curves/ell_rational_field.py"
File "/Users/ayeq/sage/devel/sage/sage/schemes/elliptic_curves/
ell_rational_field.py", line 3023:
sage: E.cremona_label()
Expected:
Traceback (most recent call last):
RuntimeError: Cremona label not known for Elliptic Curve defined
by y^2 + x*y + 3*y = x^3 + 2*x^2 + 4*x + 5 over Rational Field.
Got:
'10351a1'
1 items had failures:
1 of 7 in __main__.example_70
***Test Failed*** 1 failures.

Other than that everything seems okay. Thanks for all of the hard work.

--
David Monarres
dmmon...@gmail.com

"Which is worse: ignorance or apathy? Who knows? Who cares?"

mabshoff

Mar 12, 2009, 2:20:55 PM3/12/09
to sage-devel

On Mar 12, 9:54 am, "David M. Monarres" <dmmonar...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi David,

> I am getting 1 error on sage -testall  after an upgrade from 3.3 to
> 3.4 on Mac OS 10.5.6.
>
> sage -t  "devel/sage/sage/schemes/elliptic_curves/ell_rational_field.py"
> File "/Users/ayeq/sage/devel/sage/sage/schemes/elliptic_curves/
> ell_rational_field.py", line 3023:
>      sage: E.cremona_label()
> Expected:
>      Traceback (most recent call last):
>      RuntimeError: Cremona label not known for Elliptic Curve defined
> by y^2 + x*y + 3*y = x^3 + 2*x^2 + 4*x + 5 over Rational Field.
> Got:
>      '10351a1'
> 1 items had failures:
>     1 of   7 in __main__.example_70
> ***Test Failed*** 1 failures.
>
> Other than that everything seems okay. Thanks for all of the hard work.

This is a known issue - see http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/5346
- and harmless IMHO since it only fails due to additional bits of John
Cremona's elliptic curve database being installed. I thought there was
a patch, but there isn't.

Cheers,

Michael

> --
> David Monarres
> dmmonar...@gmail.com

John Cremona

Mar 12, 2009, 3:44:17 PM3/12/09
to sage-devel

On 12 Mar, 18:20, mabshoff <mabsh...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 12, 9:54 am, "David M. Monarres" <dmmonar...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi David,
>

> > I am getting 1 error on sage -testall  after an upgrade from 3.3 to
> > 3.4 on Mac OS 10.5.6.
>
> > sage -t  "devel/sage/sage/schemes/elliptic_curves/ell_rational_field.py"
> > File "/Users/ayeq/sage/devel/sage/sage/schemes/elliptic_curves/
> > ell_rational_field.py", line 3023:
> >      sage: E.cremona_label()
> > Expected:
> >      Traceback (most recent call last):
> >      RuntimeError: Cremona label not known for Elliptic Curve defined
> > by y^2 + x*y + 3*y = x^3 + 2*x^2 + 4*x + 5 over Rational Field.
> > Got:
> >      '10351a1'
> > 1 items had failures:
> >     1 of   7 in __main__.example_70
> > ***Test Failed*** 1 failures.
>
> > Other than that everything seems okay. Thanks for all of the hard work.
>
> This is a known issue - seehttp://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/5346
> - and harmless IMHO since it only fails due to additional bits of John
> Cremona's elliptic curve database being installed. I thought there was
> a patch, but there isn't.

I always thought that after an upgrade one had to reinstall optional
packages, but this report makes that seem not true.

That particular doctest is supposed to demonstrate that Sage does not
know about labels for curves of conductor > 10000, so it fails to so
that if you have the optional extra database installed. Perhaps we
should change the doctest to one where the conductor is outside tha
range of the large databse, i.e. over 130000.

John

M. Yurko

Mar 12, 2009, 5:25:39 PM3/12/09
to sage-devel
I'm running 64-bit Ubuntu 8.10 on a Core 2 processor, and Sage 3.4 has
failed to build for me twice on the same error. It appears to occur on
the compilation of PolyBoRi and I get the following error:

polybori/src/BoolePolynomial.cc:915: instantiated from here
polybori/include/CTermGenerator.h:172: internal compiler error:
Segmentation fault
Please submit a full bug report,
See <file:///usr/share/doc/gcc-4.3/README.Bugs> for instructions.
scons: *** [polybori/src/BoolePolynomial.os] Error 1
Error building PolyBoRi.

real 2m58.526s
user 2m16.845s
sys 0m13.881s
sage: An error occurred while installing polybori-0.5rc.p6

and below are some of the last lines from install.log:

polybori/include/CGenericIter.h:121: instantiated from
'polybori::CGenericIter<OrderType, NavigatorType,
MonomType>::CGenericIter(NaviType, const MgrType&) [with MgrType =
boost::intrusive_ptr<polybori::CCuddCore>, OrderType =
polybori::LexOrder, NaviType = polybori::CCuddNavigator, RefType =
unsigned int]'
polybori/src/BoolePolynomial.cc:915: instantiated from here
polybori/include/CTermGenerator.h:172: internal compiler error:
Segmentation fault
Please submit a full bug report,

mabshoff

Mar 12, 2009, 7:14:27 PM3/12/09
to sage-devel

On Mar 12, 2:25 pm, "M. Yurko" <MYu...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

> I'm running 64-bit Ubuntu 8.10 on a Core 2 processor, and Sage 3.4 has
> failed to build for me twice on the same error. It appears to occur on
> the compilation of PolyBoRi and I get the following error:
>
> polybori/src/BoolePolynomial.cc:915:   instantiated from here
> polybori/include/CTermGenerator.h:172: internal compiler error:
> Segmentation fault

Your compiler is broken and fails with an internal error, you need to
update it. There is nothing we can do on our end to fix this.

Cheers,

Michael

Justin C. Walker

Mar 12, 2009, 8:41:52 PM3/12/09
to sage-...@googlegroups.com

On Mar 12, 2009, at 00:29 , mabshoff wrote:

> Hello folks,
>
> after more delay than hoped for here goes the final 3.4. Sources are
> available from
>
> http://www.sagemath.org/src/
>
> Upgrading Sage via the official channel also works already. There is
> also a sage.math only binary in
>
> http://sage.math.washington.edu/home/mabshoff/release-cycles-3.4/

For the record:

Sage 3.4 built w/o problems on Mac OS X, 10.5.6, on a Core Duo.
Testing was successful (no failures)!

Justin

--
Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon at Large
Director

Message has been deleted

Nick Alexander

Mar 15, 2009, 11:56:28 PM3/15/09
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
> A release tour can be found at
>
> http://mvngu.wordpress.com/2009/03/16/sage-34-released/

Minh, this is great. Thanks for your efforts.

Nick

Minh Nguyen

Mar 18, 2009, 4:33:06 AM3/18/09
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 7:29 AM, mabshoff <mabs...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Hello folks,
>
> after more delay than hoped for here goes the final 3.4. Sources are
> available from
>
> http://www.sagemath.org/src/

The 3.4 source distro builds fine under x86 Debian 5.0 (testing) with
the following architecture:

*** Begin system info ***

Linux darkstar 2.6.24-1-686 #1 SMP Thu May 8 02:16:39 UTC 2008 i686 GNU/Linux

processor : 0
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 22
model name : Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 550 @ 2.00GHz
stepping : 1
cpu MHz : 1995.393
cache size : 1024 KB
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 10
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss tm pbe nx lm
constant_tsc up arch_perfmon pebs bts pni monitor ds_cpl tm2 ssse3
cx16 xtpr lahf_lm
bogomips : 3994.38
clflush size : 64

*** End system info ***

But I received one test failure:

The following tests failed:

sage -t
"devel/sage/doc/en/bordeaux_2008/modular_forms_and_hecke_operators.rst"
Total time for all tests: 4409.3 seconds

If you're interested, the full test log is at

http://sage.math.washington.edu/home/mvngu/misc/test-sage-3.4.log.bz2

--
Regards
Minh Van Nguyen

Georg S. Weber

Mar 18, 2009, 7:41:24 PM3/18/09
to sage-devel
Hi Minh,

a patch for this is up for review at trac #5563. Thanks for reporting
it.

Cheers,
gsw

Georg S. Weber