SAGE on Leopard

Justin Walker

Oct 29, 2007, 8:24:09 PM10/29/07
to SAGE Development
I figured I'd give this a try. The first to go is 'flint', with this
error:

g++ -single_module -fPIC -dynamiclib -o libflint.dylib mpn_extras.o
Z.o memory-\
manager.o Z_mpn.o ZmodF.o ZmodF_mul.o ZmodF_mul-tuning.o fmpz.o
fmpz_poly.o mpz\
_poly-tuning.o mpz_poly.o ZmodF_poly.o -lgmp
ld: duplicate symbol ___gmpz_abs in Z.o and mpn_extras.o

Any thoughts? I'm doing the old 'touch and go' builds to see what
falls apart where.

Justin

--
Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon-At-Large
Institute for the Enhancement of the Director's Income

William Stein

Oct 29, 2007, 8:28:35 PM10/29/07
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
On 10/29/07, Justin Walker <jus...@mac.com> wrote:

> I figured I'd give this a try. The first to go is 'flint', with this
> error:
>
> g++ -single_module -fPIC -dynamiclib -o libflint.dylib mpn_extras.o
> Z.o memory-\
> manager.o Z_mpn.o ZmodF.o ZmodF_mul.o ZmodF_mul-tuning.o fmpz.o
> fmpz_poly.o mpz\
> _poly-tuning.o mpz_poly.o ZmodF_poly.o -lgmp
> ld: duplicate symbol ___gmpz_abs in Z.o and mpn_extras.o
>
> Any thoughts? I'm doing the old 'touch and go' builds to see what
> falls apart where.

I was able to do a 100% build of Sage on Leopard yesterday.
See

for unpleasant work-arounds for all problems. I also
posted a binary built on my laptop under Leopard here:
http://sagemath.org/SAGEbin/apple_osx/intel/leopard/

--
William Stein
Associate Professor of Mathematics

mabshoff

Oct 29, 2007, 8:29:37 PM10/29/07
to sage-devel

On Oct 30, 1:24 am, Justin Walker <jus...@mac.com> wrote:

Hi Justin,

> I figured I'd give this a try. The first to go is 'flint', with this
> error:
>
> g++ -single_module -fPIC -dynamiclib -o libflint.dylib mpn_extras.o
> Z.o memory-\
> manager.o Z_mpn.o ZmodF.o ZmodF_mul.o ZmodF_mul-tuning.o fmpz.o
> fmpz_poly.o mpz\
> _poly-tuning.o mpz_poly.o ZmodF_poly.o -lgmp
> ld: duplicate symbol ___gmpz_abs in Z.o and mpn_extras.o
>
> Any thoughts?

That is a linker problem with "external inline". See #1005 for the
workarounds you need to get it working.

> I'm doing the old 'touch and go' builds to see what
> falls apart where.
>
> Justin

Cheers,

Michael

Jason Martin

Oct 29, 2007, 10:34:30 PM10/29/07
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
Has anyone tried a 64-bit build on Leopard? I just picked up Leopard
today, so I'll hopefully have a running Leopard machine tomorrow on
which to start playing. Just wondering if, for example, python can
build in 64-bit mode on Leopard.

--jason

mabshoff

Oct 29, 2007, 11:18:36 PM10/29/07
to sage-devel

On Oct 30, 3:34 am, "Jason Martin" <jason.worth.mar...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Has anyone tried a 64-bit build on Leopard? I just picked up Leopard
> today, so I'll hopefully have a running Leopard machine tomorrow on
> which to start playing. Just wondering if, for example, python can
> build in 64-bit mode on Leopard.
>
> --jason

That is #1006, and as far as I know nobody has tried yet. We plan to
get 32 bit working on 10.5 "out of the box" by Friday and then tackle
the 64 bit build afterwards. If you start playing around please report
your finding at ticket #1006.

For some pointers on how to get python to build in 64 bit mode see

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/pythonmac-sig/2007-June/019045.html

To quote (which is actually about 64 bit on *Tiger*):

<quote>
The build is universal, but for me only one of the two archictures
actually worked: I did my build on an Intel system and the 64-bit
build worked on that machine, but didn't work on a G5 mac. That's
probably something shallow, but as that machine doesn't have the
Xcode installed and is on the other side of a slow network connection
I haven't tried to debug this yet.

1) Edit the configure script, look for "-arch i386" and "-arch ppc"
and change that those to "-arch ppc64" and "-arch x86_64". You'll
have to make multiple changes to the configure file.

2) Build using:

$ mkdir build
$ cd build
$ CFLAGS="-arch ppc64 -arch x86_64" ../configure \
--enable-universalsdk \
--disable-toolbox-glue --prefix=/opt/python25-64bit
$ make
$ make install

3) Optionally: run "make testall" to run the unittests and check
pyconfig.h to check the various SIZEOF definitions.

You now have a 64-bit build of python in /opt/python25-64bit.

</quote>

Cheers,

Michael