Sage 3.4.1.rc0 released

mabshoff

Apr 5, 2009, 7:05:00 PM4/5/09
to sage-devel
In case you hadn't noticed 3.4.1.rc0 is out. The main problem is that
it does not even build on OSX (yet) due to two trivial bugs in new
version of MPIR and FLINT. I have fixed both of them and in the
process of putting together 3.4.1.rc1 which should at least build on
all test platforms :)

All the usual bits are in the normal place, but due to the imminent
rc1 no links. There are interesting new patches in this rc0:

* latest upstream versions of MPIR and FLINT
* Pizer's algorithm for computing Brandt Modules and Brandt Matrices
* quadratic twists for p-adic L-functions
* Overconvergent modular forms for genus 0 primes
* loads of number field improvements

So overall 3.4.1 has become a feature release and is much, much more
than "just a bug fix release".

Cheers,

Michael

Merged in Sage 3.4.1.rc0:

#793: David Harvey, Nick Alexander: wrapper for hyperelliptic curve
zeta functions [Reviewed by Georg Weber]
#4549: Nicolas Thiery: New class IntegerListLex for generating integer
lists => much improved partition iterators [Reviewed by Florent
Hivert]
#4667: Chris Wuthrich: quadratic twists for p-adic L-functions
[Reviewed by Georg Weber]
#4876: William Stein: update to latest version of kash; improve spkg-
install [Reviewed by Jaap Spies]
#4880: Jaap Spies: Improved experimental spkg vtk-5.2.1 [Reviewed by
Carl Witty]
#4881: Jaap Spies: Experimental ets-3.1.1.rev23241.spkg (including
Chaco and Mayavi2) [Reviewed by William Stein, Jason Grout, Carl
Witty]
#5159: David Loeffler: Add functionality to Galois groups [Reviewed by
John Cremona]
#5180: David Loeffler: Improvements to congruence subgroups [Reviewed
by Georg Weber]
#5240: Burcin Erocal: Update FLINT to 1.2.4 (latest upstream)
[Reviewed by Michael Abshoff]
#5318: Carl Witty: ideas for improving random testers (like #4779)
[Reviewed by Nicolas Thiery]
#5470: Chris Swierczewski: Update Cython entry in Developer's Guide
[Reviewed by Robert Bradshaw]
#5485: John Perry: issue with dimension of ideals in polynomial rings
[Reviewed by Alex Ghitza]
#5513: John Cremona: Enhanced support for number field unit groups
[Reviewed by Francis Clarke, William Stein]
#5520: William Stein, Gonzalo Tornaria, Jon Bober, Alia Hamieh,
Victoria de Quehen: implement Pizer's algorithm for computing Brandt
Modules and Brandt Matrices [Reviewed by Gonzalo Tornaria, Robert
Bradshaw]
#5521: William Stein: fix serious bug in pickling the rational numbers
and the magma interface [Reviewed by Robert Bradshaw]
#5525: William Stein: fix bug in intersection of ZZ-modules [Reviewed
by Robert Bradshaw]
#5534: Florent Hivert: sage.combinat.subword.smallest_positions
modifying its input (use #5200) [Reviewed by Nicolas Thiery]
#5616: Carl Witty: speed regression with fast_callable [Reviewed by
Robert Bradshaw]
#5620: Emily Kirkman: Digraph plotting bug [Reviewed by Robert Miller]
#5622: Robert Bradshaw: complex double fast callable interpreter
[Reviewed by Carl Witty]
#5623: Carlo Hamalainen: 5x speedup in all_graph_colorings [Reviewed
by Tom Boothby]
#5629: Alex Ghitza: refactor dimension() of schemes [Reviewed by
William Stein]
#5630: Alex Ghitza: improve doctest coverage for schemes/generic/
spec.py [Reviewed by William Stein]
#5632: John Palmieri: doc fixes for quaternion algebra element
[Reviewed by Minh Van Nguyen]
#5635: Andrey Novoseltsev: plot method on lattice polytopes gives
something ridiculous [Reviewed by William Stein]
#5636: William Stein: %jsmath in the notebook is broken in sage-3.4
[Reviewed by John Palmieri]
#5638: John Palmieri: deprecate jsmath from the command line [Reviewed
by William Stein]
#5642: David Loeffler: Overconvergent modular forms for genus 0 primes
[Reviewed by William Stein]
#5643: John Palmieri: trivial doctest patch for steenrod_algebra.py
[Reviewed by Minh Van Nguyen]
#5648: David Loeffler: Multiplication for modular forms [Reviewed by
Georg Weber, William Stein]
#5657: William Stein: fix two trivial typos [Reviewed by Minh Van
Nguyen]
#5658: John Cremona: Efficiency improvement in generic
order_from_multiple() [Reviewed by Ryan Hinton]
#5670: Victor Miller: documentation for isogeny_class in EllipticCurve
[Reviewed by William Stein]
#5672: Michael Abshoff: Update MPIR to 1.0.rc5 (latest upstream)
[Reviewed by William Stein]
#5681: William Stein: notebook -- worksheets open in new page/tab
[Reviewed by Tom Boothby]

John Cremona

Apr 6, 2009, 6:28:54 AM4/6/09
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
I'm having trouble after cloning on account of the accents on line
1212 of sage/schemes/elliptic_curves/padic_lseries.py.

The attached patch fixes this (I did not think it worth a ticket).

It's a pity this cannot be caught automatically on testing patches!

John

2009/4/6 mabshoff <mabs...@googlemail.com>:
accents.patch

William Stein

Apr 6, 2009, 1:35:01 PM4/6/09
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 3:28 AM, John Cremona <john.c...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm having trouble after cloning on account of the accents on line
> 1212 of sage/schemes/elliptic_curves/padic_lseries.py.
>
> The attached patch fixes this (I did not think it worth a ticket).

It is, and is now

and I gave it a positive review. Thanks.
--
William Stein
Associate Professor of Mathematics

mabshoff

Apr 6, 2009, 2:47:44 PM4/6/09
to sage-devel

On Apr 6, 10:35 am, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 3:28 AM, John Cremona <john.crem...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm having trouble after cloning on account of the accents on line
> > 1212 of sage/schemes/elliptic_curves/padic_lseries.py.
>
> > The attached patch fixes this (I did not think it worth a ticket).
>
> It is, and is now
>
> http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/5692
>
> and I gave it a positive review.  Thanks.

I found and fixed the same issue last night while playing around with
3.4.1.rc1 and was surprised no one caught it.

> > It's a pity this cannot be caught automatically on testing patches!

Well, these days I tend to clone the devel tree every once in a while,
so I have caught this on occasion, but I am still surprised that it
still happens.

> > John

Cheers,

Michael