announcement: Maxima 5.20

Robert Dodier

Dec 20, 2009, 4:16:35 PM12/20/09
to Maxima Mailing List, sage-devel
Please distribute this message as you see fit.

Announcing Maxima 5.20

Maxima is a GPL'd branch of Macsyma, the venerable symbolic
computation system. Maxima 5.20 is a bug fix and feature
enhancement release. The current version is 5.20.1.

Maxima has functions to work with polynomials, matrices, finite sets,
integrals, derivatives and differential equations, linear algebra,
plotting, floating point and arbitrary-precision arithmetic, etc.

Maxima can run on MS Windows and various flavors of Unix,
including MacOS X.
There is a precompiled executable installer for Windows,
RPM's for Linux, and source code tar.gz.

Maxima is implemented in Common Lisp; several Lisps can compile
and run Maxima, including CMUCL, SBCL, Clisp, GCL, and ECL.

The Maxima project welcomes new participants. You can contribute
in several ways: reporting bugs, fixing bugs, writing new add-on
packages, revising core functions, user interfaces, documentation, ....
Why not see what's happening on the mailing list and consider how
you might contribute to the project.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to the 5.20 release.
Special thanks to Dieter Kaiser for his extensive, excellent
contributions on a variety of topics.

Regards,
Robert Dodier
Maxima developer and 5.20 release manager

Project page:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/maxima

Documentation:
http://maxima.sourceforge.net/documentation.html

Bug reports. Please create a Sourceforge login
before filing a bug report.

Mailing list. Please sign up before posting a message.
http://maxima.sourceforge.net/maximalist.html

Download page:

Ports page:
http://apps.sourceforge.net/mediawiki/maxima/index.php?title=Maxima_ports

Project home page:
http://maxima.sourceforge.net

Change log:
http://maxima.cvs.sourceforge.net/*checkout*/maxima/maxima/ChangeLog-5.20

kcrisman

Dec 20, 2009, 9:08:06 PM12/20/09
to sage-devel

On Dec 20, 4:16 pm, Robert Dodier <robert.dod...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Please distribute this message as you see fit.
>
> Announcing Maxima 5.20
>
> Maxima is a GPL'd branch of Macsyma, the venerable symbolic
> computation system. Maxima 5.20 is a bug fix and feature
> enhancement release. The current version is 5.20.1.

We should make a new spkg for this (assuming the ECL build stuff
mentioned on the Maxima list is now worked out). This is ticket #
7745.

- kcrisman

William Stein

Dec 21, 2009, 2:34:48 AM12/21/09
to sage-devel

What ECL build stuff are you alluding to?

William

cch

Dec 21, 2009, 3:21:54 AM12/21/09
to sage-devel
Maxima-5.20.1 with clisp version works on my linux-32 Sage-4.2.

cch

Juanjo

Dec 21, 2009, 4:20:25 AM12/21/09
to sage-devel

On Dec 21, 8:34 am, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:

Maybe the regressions in 9.12.2? But they were solved with the last
patch release

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.mathematics.maxima.general/29321/match=ecl

Should I produce another patch for the "stat"-ing of files or can that
wait for January?

kcrisman

Dec 21, 2009, 10:41:42 AM12/21/09
to sage-devel

> Maybe the regressions in 9.12.2? But they were solved with the last
> patch release
>
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.mathematics.maxima.general/29321/...

Yes, nothing serious, I just wasn't sure if that had been resolved,
though I assumed it had been (hence the parentheses). Sorry if it
sounded like anything wacky was implied.

- kcrisman

ma...@mendelu.cz

Dec 21, 2009, 2:11:14 PM12/21/09
to sage-devel
On 21 pro, 09:21, cch <cchu...@mail.cgu.edu.tw> wrote:
> Maxima-5.20.1 with clisp version works on my linux-32 Sage-4.2.

Isn't clisp the slowest option?

Robert

> cch

rjf

Dec 21, 2009, 5:09:27 PM12/21/09
to sage-devel
If you wanted to see how slowly you could run Maxima, you could run
the whole thing interpreted (in some other lisp).
Clisp is a byte-code interpreter, but some of the other lisps, those
that assume that anything you want to run fast will
be compiled, probably have slower interpreters. This might even be
useful for debugging purposes, though usually
one runs the whole system at full compiled speed and only runs the
part you want to debug as interpreted code.
RJF

kcrisman

Dec 21, 2009, 9:22:25 PM12/21/09
to sage-devel

Perhaps, but I think the poster was just confirming it worked with
that Lisp; Sage is (afaik) committed to using ECL for other reasons,
and Juanjo is committed (as far as I can tell from the lists) to
making sure it works great for Maxima in Sage as well - and we are
grateful for that!

- kcrisman