Call for vote: make top-level identity_matrix and zero_matrix constructors return mutable matrices again

Jason Grout

Jun 12, 2010, 7:22:03 PM6/12/10
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
A few months ago, #8276 made the MatrixSpace identity_matrix and
zero_matrix methods return immutable matrices, following a discussion on
sage-devel. A consequence of this (unintended, I hope!) was that the
top-level identity_matrix and zero_matrix methods now return immutable
matrices. This now causes several problems:

1. It breaks existing code

2. It makes the top-level matrix constructors inconsistent (every other
constructor in matrix/constructors.py returns a mutable matrix).

3. It breaks consistency with the 4 M's, which all return mutable
matrices from the top-level identity matrix constructor.

4. It requires someone that just wants to create a zero/identity matrix
and then modify it to either do copy(identity_matrix(...)) or learn
about MatrixSpace and do something like MatrixSpace(...)(1). Both of
these options require needless annoyances, especially for someone that
is just learning Sage or familiar with the 4 M's.

Note that the discussion for #8276 did not touch the top-level
constructors (it dealt with the matrix space methods), so this is a
different issue that brought up in #8276. The changes in #8276 to the
matrix space methods will still hold. Effectively, this proposal is
about changing the top-level identity_matrix function to return
MatrixSpace(...)(1) (a mutable copy) instead of MatrixSpace(...).one().

So, please vote:

[ ] Yes, make top-level identity_matrix and zero_matrix functions return
mutable matrices again, i.e., this code will work, and will not have the
bugs #8276 pointed out:

sage: M=identity_matrix(3)
sage: M[0,0]=3

[ ] No, keep the changed behavior (this option entails requiring users
to do something like copy(identity_matrix(...)) or MatrixSpace(...)(1)
to construct a mutable identity matrix, like so:

sage: M=copy(identity_matrix(3))
sage: M[0,0]=3

The patch at

implements the "yes" vote, and is ready for review (if the ticket is
reopened as a result of this vote.)

Thanks,

Jason

Jason Grout

Jun 12, 2010, 8:17:33 PM6/12/10
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
On 6/12/10 6:22 PM, Jason Grout wrote:

> 3. It breaks consistency with the 4 M's, which all return mutable
> matrices from the top-level identity matrix constructor.

Correction: Maple identity matrices are immutable. However, Magma,
Mathematica, and Matlab matrices identity matrix top-level commands all
return mutable matrices.

Thanks,

Jason

Andrey Novoseltsev

Jun 13, 2010, 12:30:32 AM6/13/10
to sage-devel
I vote YES, because I think that in most cases when these functions
are used the intention is to end up with something similar but not
equal to the identity or zero matrix.

Andrey

Robert Bradshaw

Jun 13, 2010, 2:40:11 AM6/13/10
to sage-...@googlegroups.com

I vote yes as well, I think the primary motivation to do this was for
efficiency reasons, and we could do copy-on-write to handle that down
the road.

- Robert

John Cremona

Jun 13, 2010, 1:58:14 PM6/13/10