bug in sagenb - deleting and stopping worksheet does not work

ma...@mendelu.cz

Dec 27, 2009, 7:22:29 PM12/27/09
to sage-devel
Dear sage-devel,

can you confirm this behavior of sage notebook as a bug?

when in Home (i.e. I have a list of worksheets) in folder Active, with
one worksheet running

* If I check the box of running worksheet and click Stop, nothing
happens. Reloading page shows worksheet still as running.

* If I check the box at worksheet wich does not run and click delete,
nothing happens. Reloading of the page shows that the worksheet is
still there. The same applies for Archive button.

Tested on Fireofx in Windows Vista, Sage runs in a virtual vmware
server at Debian Lenny.

Thank you

Robert

Pat LeSmithe

Dec 28, 2009, 1:39:25 AM12/28/09
to sage-...@googlegroups.com, sage-n...@googlegroups.com

Which versions of Firefox and Sage?

The functions above appear to be working for me with Sage 4.3 in Firefox
3.5.6 on Windows XP SP3 (and Fedora 11 Linux). But I don't have access
to a Vista machine.

ma...@mendelu.cz

Dec 28, 2009, 5:03:29 AM12/28/09
to sage-devel
On 28 pro, 07:39, Pat LeSmithe <qed...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Which versions of Firefox and Sage?

Tested on Windows Vista (Firefox 3.0.16, K-meleon, Opera) and Debian
(Epiphany) on two servers with Sage 4.3 (sagenb.org and sage server at
Mendel university - sage compiled from sources)

The buttons Archive, Delete and Stop do no work. Can someone else
reproduce the problem or confirm that tese buttons work for her/him?

Many thanks
Robert

ma...@mendelu.cz

Dec 30, 2009, 4:31:22 PM12/30/09
to sage-devel
I did more tests - Sage 4.2. is the last version where deleting and
stopping workseehts via buttons from "Home" folder works for me.

Tested on some personal installations as well as at https://sagenb.kaist.ac.kr
(4.2.1 - does not work) http://uw.sagenb.org (4.2.1 - does not work)
and http://www.sagenb.org/ (4.3 - does not work). Tested on various
local OS (windows, several Linux installations) and various browsers
(Firefox, Opera, K-Meleon).

Is there anybody else here, who can either confirm this problem or
anybody else who does not have any problems of this type?

I started courses at January 4 wihch will use Sage and this is
annoying. On the other had, it would be nice to work with version with
fixed http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/7756

Many thanks

Robert Marik

On 28 pro, 11:03, "ma...@mendelu.cz" <ma...@mendelu.cz> wrote:
> On 28 pro, 07:39, Pat LeSmithe <qed...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Which versions of Firefox and Sage?
>
> Tested on Windows Vista (Firefox 3.0.16, K-meleon, Opera) and Debian
> (Epiphany) on two servers with Sage 4.3 (sagenb.org and sage server at
> Mendel university - sage compiled from sources)
>

> The buttons Archive,Deleteand Stop do no work. Can someone else

Pat LeSmithe

Dec 30, 2009, 10:26:26 PM12/30/09
to sage-n...@googlegroups.com, sage-...@googlegroups.com
On 12/30/2009 01:31 PM, ma...@mendelu.cz wrote:
> I did more tests - Sage 4.2. is the last version where deleting and
> stopping workseehts via buttons from "Home" folder works for me.

One or more of these problems may appear in many other browsers, too.
Could you try commenting out

if not self.worksheet.is_published():
self.worksheet.set_active(username)

in

SAGE_LOCAL/lib/python2.6/site-packages/sagenb-*/sagenb/notebook/twist.py

and testing again in Firefox, say? (See WorksheetResource.__init__,
around line 516.)

A worksheet opened in a JavaScript-enabled tab or window pings the
server every ~10 seconds. The lines above reset the worksheet's "view"
to ACTIVE for the user who opened the worksheet. The worksheet will
then appear in that user's [refreshed] list of active worksheets.

Another possible workaround is to close all tabs/windows with the
worksheet in question, before sending it to the Trash folder.

I think the current ACTIVE, ARCHIVE, and TRASH views are just a first
take on a system for tagging (labeling) worksheets. I don't know how it
will develop. Perhaps we'll add columns, slices, etc.?

ma...@mendelu.cz

Dec 31, 2009, 3:22:14 AM12/31/09
to sage-devel
THnks for your suggestions,

On 31 pro, 04:26, Pat LeSmithe <qed...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/30/2009 01:31 PM, ma...@mendelu.cz wrote:
>
> > I did more tests - Sage 4.2. is the last version where deleting and
> > stopping workseehts via buttons from "Home" folder works for me.
>
> One or more of these problems may appear in many other browsers, too.
> Could you try commenting out
>
>         if not self.worksheet.is_published():
>             self.worksheet.set_active(username)
>
> in
>
> SAGE_LOCAL/lib/python2.6/site-packages/sagenb-*/sagenb/notebook/twist.py
>
> and testing again in Firefox, say?  (See WorksheetResource.__init__,
> around line 516.)

I did this change, run sage -b and then sage, but still have old
behavior.

> A worksheet opened in a JavaScript-enabled tab or window pings the
> server every ~10 seconds.  The lines above reset the worksheet's "view"
> to ACTIVE for the user who opened the worksheet.  The worksheet will
> then appear in that user's [refreshed] list of active worksheets.
>
> Another possible workaround is to close all tabs/windows with the
> worksheet in question, before sending it to the Trash folder.

Does not help either.
And I do not understand why I have this issue on 4 different computers
and nobody else reported such a problem ....

Anyway, thank you for your help and have a nice happy new year :)

Robert

ma...@mendelu.cz

Dec 31, 2009, 9:14:15 PM12/31/09
to sage-devel

On 31 pro 2009, 09:22, "ma...@mendelu.cz" <ma...@mendelu.cz> wrote:

> Does not help either.

Does not help even if I use the install script in sagenb sources
directory to install changewd version. Any other idea?

Many thanks
Robert

Pat LeSmithe

Jan 1, 2010, 9:58:16 AM1/1/10
to sage-...@googlegroups.com

Just to gather a bit more information:

Do the "Log" and "Help" links at the top of the "Home" page work? More
generally, are there other notebook features that aren't working as
expected?

Does the problem occur in Firefox 3.5.6, Internet Explorer, Chrome,
and/or Safari on Windows?

Also, could you please report what happens in Firefox 3.0.16's error
console:

* Browse to the notebook "Home" page.
* Click Tools -> Error Console.
* Ensure "All" is selected and clear the console.
* Reload the page.
* Check for items other than

* Warning: Error in parsing value for 'filter'. Declaration dropped.
* Warning: Unknown property 'zoom'. Declaration dropped.

* Clear the console.
* Check the checkbox for a worksheet.
* Click on "Delete," say.
* Check again for errors, warnings, etc.
* Repeat for archiving and stopping a worksheet.

?

ma...@mendelu.cz

Jan 1, 2010, 1:50:42 PM1/1/10
to sage-devel
On 1 led, 15:58, Pat LeSmithe <qed...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/31/2009 06:14 PM, ma...@mendelu.cz wrote:
>
> > On 31 pro 2009, 09:22, "ma...@mendelu.cz" <ma...@mendelu.cz> wrote:
> >> Does not help either.
> > Does not help even if I use the install script in sagenb sources
> > directory to install changewd version. Any other idea?
>
> Just to gather a bit more information:
>
> Do the "Log" and "Help" links at the top of the "Home" page work?  More
> generally, are there other notebook features that aren't working as
> expected?

Hi Pat, clicking Archive, Delete or Stop I get in Firefox 3.0.16

Error: X is null
Source file: http://www.sagenb.org/javascript/sage/main.js
Line: 374

Log and Help links work.

I'll try to update Firefox and send more detailed answer. Chrome does
not work either.

However, we have rather old Firefox in our PC lab (stability is
preffered) and it would be great to make workseehts work also on older
browsers, as it was in Sage 4.2

Many thanks.

Robert

ma...@mendelu.cz

Jan 1, 2010, 2:02:19 PM1/1/10
to sage-devel
On 1 led, 19:50, "ma...@mendelu.cz" <ma...@mendelu.cz> wrote:
> Error: X is null
> Source file:http://www.sagenb.org/javascript/sage/main.js
> Line: 374

The same problem with Firefox 3.5.6

Robert

ma...@mendelu.cz

Jan 1, 2010, 2:27:17 PM1/1/10
to sage-devel

And the same error message also in Firefox (Iceweasel) 3.0.6 and
Epiphany 2.22.3, both on Debian Lenny

marik@marikovi:~$ uname -a
Linux marikovi 2.6.26-2-486 #1 Fri Aug 14 01:02:21 UTC 2009 i686 GNU/
Linux

> Robert

Pat LeSmithe

Jan 1, 2010, 6:21:21 PM1/1/10
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
On 01/01/2010 11:27 AM, ma...@mendelu.cz wrote:
> On 1 led, 20:02, "ma...@mendelu.cz" <ma...@mendelu.cz> wrote:
>> On 1 led, 19:50, "ma...@mendelu.cz" <ma...@mendelu.cz> wrote:
>>> Error: X is null
>>> Source file:http://www.sagenb.org/javascript/sage/main.js
>>> Line: 374
>> The same problem with Firefox 3.5.6
> And the same error message also in Firefox (Iceweasel) 3.0.6 and
> Epiphany 2.22.3, both on Debian Lenny

There's a patch based on this information (and further very helpful
correspondence with Robert) at #7811

I believe this bug will affect any user with a dot ('.') or at sign
('@') in their login name. It will also affect an admin user, if at
least one user with such a name has created a worksheet.