serious bug in sum

William Stein

Feb 26, 2012, 2:56:06 PM2/26/12
to sage-devel
Hi Sage-Devel,

I wanted to raise the profile of #10682, since it's a bug in which
Sage's sum command (which calls maxima) outputs a very wrong answer.

William

--
William Stein
Professor of Mathematics

rjf

Feb 26, 2012, 8:25:58 PM2/26/12
to sage-devel
maxima 5.25.1, at least for me, gets the right answer

load(simplify_sum);
simplify_sum(sum (binomial(n,k)*k^2, k, 2, n));

returns

((n^2+n)*2^n-4*n)/4

This raises an interesting point. If Sage were to get
GSOC approval to be a mentoring organization, would it
match mentors and students to fix bugs in Maxima?

RJF

William Stein

Feb 26, 2012, 8:33:26 PM2/26/12
to sage-...@googlegroups.com

On Sunday, February 26, 2012, rjf <fat...@gmail.com> wrote:
> maxima 5.25.1, at least for me, gets the right answer
>
> load(simplify_sum);
> simplify_sum(sum (binomial(n,k)*k^2, k, 2, n));
>
> returns
>

> ((n^2+n)*2^n-4*n)/4

That's good - thanks for checking...

> This raises an interesting point.  If Sage were to get
> GSOC approval to be a mentoring organization, would it
> match mentors and students to fix bugs in Maxima?

If there were a solid proposal then *definitely* yes!   And the same goes for any other component of Sage.

 - william

> RJF
>

> On Feb 26, 11:56 am, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Sage-Devel,
>>
>> I wanted to raise the profile of #10682, since it's a bug in which
>> Sage's sum command (which calls maxima) outputs a very wrong answer.
>>
>> http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/10682
>>
>> William
>>
>> --
>> William Stein
>> Professor of Mathematics
>> University of Washingtonhttp://wstein.org

kcrisman

Feb 27, 2012, 10:53:15 AM2/27/12
to sage-devel

On Feb 26, 8:33 pm, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sunday, February 26, 2012, rjf <fate...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > maxima 5.25.1, at least for me, gets the right answer
>
> > load(simplify_sum);
> > simplify_sum(sum (binomial(n,k)*k^2, k, 2, n));
>
> > returns
>
> > ((n^2+n)*2^n-4*n)/4
>
> That's good - thanks for checking...
>

> > This raises an interesting point.  If Sage were to get
> > GSOC approval to be a mentoring organization, would it
> > match mentors and students to fix bugs in Maxima?
>
> If there were a solid proposal then *definitely* yes!   And the same goes
> for any other component of Sage.

That would be great, yes!

Harald Schilly

Feb 28, 2012, 8:48:22 AM2/28/12
to sage-...@googlegroups.com

On Monday, February 27, 2012 2:25:58 AM UTC+1, rjf wrote:

If Sage were to get
GSOC approval to be a mentoring organization, would it
match mentors and students to fix bugs in Maxima?

An hour ago I started a thread for project proposals. In this case I would suggest that this needs two mentors  (or one who is good at both). One that is familiar with Sage and another one with Maxima. Just email me for more details or write me a project description.

Dima Pasechnik

Feb 29, 2012, 6:29:44 AM2/29/12
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
This is all fixed by update of maxima to 5.26, and the corresponding patch.
The ticket is ready for review!