pexpect: to upgrade or not to upgrade?

Franco Saliola

Mar 6, 2010, 9:57:29 PM3/6/10
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
I recently stumbled over a bug in the pexpect module shipped with
Sage. It turns out that specifying the full path to a command doesn't
work; you get an UnboundLocalError exception. I've created a ticket
with an example:

The question is, do we patch pexpect, or do we upgrade to the newest
version (we're shipping version 2.0 while the latest version is 2.3)?
I imagine that there could be some good reasons for not upgrading, so
the real question here is whether there are any objections to
upgrading.

Franco

Robert Bradshaw

Mar 6, 2010, 10:40:59 PM3/6/10
to sage-...@googlegroups.com

The most likely case is that simply no one's had the time or need to
upgrade (though this would be the place to ask). I would recommend
trying it and seeing if it goes smoothly or there are issues. (It
would be good to try out the optional interfaces as well.)

- Robert

William Stein

Mar 7, 2010, 12:22:19 AM3/7/10
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Mar 6, 2010 at 7:40 PM, Robert Bradshaw
<robe...@math.washington.edu> wrote:
> On Mar 6, 2010, at 6:57 PM, Franco Saliola wrote:
>
>> I recently stumbled over a bug in the pexpect module shipped with
>> Sage. It turns out that specifying the full path to a command doesn't
>> work; you get an UnboundLocalError exception. I've created a ticket
>> with an example:
>>
>>   http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/8471
>>
>> The question is, do we patch pexpect, or do we upgrade to the newest
>> version (we're shipping version 2.0 while the latest version is 2.3)?
>> I imagine that there could be some good reasons for not upgrading, so
>> the real question here is whether there are any objections to
>> upgrading.
>
> The most likely case is that simply no one's had the time or need to upgrade
> (though this would be the place to ask).

No, that's not the situation. IMHO every pexpect version > 2.0 I've
tried has seriously sucked performance wise, so far. They did a total
rewrite which made a mess of things... Anyway, the last time we had
this discussion was about a year ago, so it's worth trying again
(maybe pexpect improved).

William

Robert Bradshaw

Mar 7, 2010, 12:42:29 AM3/7/10
to sage-...@googlegroups.com

It may be worth adding this blurb to the pexpect's SPGK.txt.

- Robert