I created a Trac Ticket to add HP-UX support.

Dr. David Kirkby

Oct 6, 2009, 10:25:43 AM10/6/09
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
With Winter approaching, I was looking for a way to heat my garage
somewhat to stop the water freezing. (There's a small room in the
garage, which has water)

I thought running my HP C3600 HP-UX workstation would make a good
heater. In fact the machine is throwing out very little heat - far less
than my Suns! It's probably an illusion created by the much larger fan
size, but it seems to produce less heat than my laptop.

Anyway, I created a trac ticket for adding HP-UX support.

http://sagetrac.org/sage_trac/ticket/7140

Whilst I see it as a low-priority (added only to sage-wishlist), it
would be a nice addition. Something none of the other maths packages
have as far as I am aware.

At some point I'll install gcc and sage on my HP C3600, type 'make' and
see what happens.

If it is well thought out, adding support for Sun Studio, 64-bit on
Solaris, AIX and HP-UX could all be done in parallel. The problems are
all basically the same

* Get rid of GNUisms.
* Find the right compiler flags.
* Find the right linker flags.

99% of the issues connected with Solaris seem to be one of those three
problems.

I did in fact try sage on HP-UX back in June 2008

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/sage-devel/browse_thread/thread/b201b0f4908ff194/3cb27a63036d5169?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=%5Bsage-devel%5D+Notes+for+an+attempt+to+build+Sage+on+HP-UX#3cb27a63036d5169

on a publicly accessible HP-UX machine. Unfortunately, that machine is
no longer publicly accessible, as HP discontinued their 'test drive'
program. But as I say, I do have one of my own.

I might have to fire up my IBM RS6000 this winter. That I am sure will
produce sufficient heat to warm the garage. If not, I'll just keep
adding SCSI disks. It can take about a dozen or so disks. With 4 CPUs, I
am sure that must eat enough electricity to keep the bit of my garage
warms where there is water.

Dave

Dan Drake

Oct 6, 2009, 11:03:26 PM10/6/09
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, 06 Oct 2009 at 03:25PM +0100, Dr. David Kirkby wrote:
> With Winter approaching, I was looking for a way to heat my garage
> somewhat to stop the water freezing. (There's a small room in the
> garage, which has water)
>
> I thought running my HP C3600 HP-UX workstation would make a good
> heater. In fact the machine is throwing out very little heat - far
> less than my Suns! It's probably an illusion created by the much
> larger fan size, but it seems to produce less heat than my laptop.

Sage: creating a viable free open source alternative to Magma, Maple,
Mathematica and Matlab, and preventing frozen water pipes. :)

Dan

--
--- Dan Drake
----- http://mathsci.kaist.ac.kr/~drake

signature.asc

Dr. David Kirkby

Oct 7, 2009, 7:19:22 AM10/7/09
to sage-...@googlegroups.com

Actually, given the amount of heat the HP C3600 is putting out, I think
it does the first 4 much better than the 5th!

Dave