sagenb.org is unusably slow

Dan Drake

Apr 23, 2012, 3:11:36 AM4/23/12
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
sagenb.org is so slow as to be unusable right now. Can someone
investigate? Perhaps restart it?

Thanks,

Dan

--
--- Dan Drake
----- http://mathsci.kaist.ac.kr/~drake

signature.asc

William Stein

Apr 23, 2012, 9:02:05 AM4/23/12
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 12:11 AM, Dan Drake <dr...@kaist.edu> wrote:
> sagenb.org is so slow as to be unusable right now. Can someone
> investigate? Perhaps restart it?

It gets automatically restarted twice a day anyways. It's just
massively overused compared to the server resources and scalability of
the app. Encourage me to do a complete truly scalable rewrite on
scalable infrastructure...

William

--
William Stein
Professor of Mathematics

Dan Drake

Apr 23, 2012, 6:20:03 PM4/23/12
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, 23 Apr 2012 at 06:02AM -0700, William Stein wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 12:11 AM, Dan Drake <dr...@kaist.edu> wrote:
> > sagenb.org is so slow as to be unusable right now. Can someone
> > investigate? Perhaps restart it?
>
> It gets automatically restarted twice a day anyways. It's just
> massively overused compared to the server resources and scalability of
> the app. Encourage me to do a complete truly scalable rewrite on
> scalable infrastructure...

Okay, that's what I thought. And I'm glad we have more scalable things
on the horizon.

signature.asc

Jason Grout

Apr 23, 2012, 6:30:34 PM4/23/12
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
On 4/23/12 5:20 PM, Dan Drake wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Apr 2012 at 06:02AM -0700, William Stein wrote:
>> On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 12:11 AM, Dan Drake<dr...@kaist.edu> wrote:
>>> sagenb.org is so slow as to be unusable right now. Can someone
>>> investigate? Perhaps restart it?
>>
>> It gets automatically restarted twice a day anyways. It's just
>> massively overused compared to the server resources and scalability of
>> the app. Encourage me to do a complete truly scalable rewrite on
>> scalable infrastructure...
>
> Okay, that's what I thought. And I'm glad we have more scalable things
> on the horizon.

Just FYI, we have about 89,000 accounts on sagenb.org now.

Jason

Dima Pasechnik

Apr 23, 2012, 11:49:57 PM4/23/12
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
On Monday, 23 April 2012 21:02:05 UTC+8, William wrote:
On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 12:11 AM, Dan Drake <> wrote:
> sagenb.org is so slow as to be unusable right now. Can someone
> investigate? Perhaps restart it?

It gets automatically restarted twice a day anyways.   It's just
massively overused compared to the server resources and scalability of
the app.    Encourage me to do a complete truly scalable rewrite on
scalable infrastructure...

Would one still need hardware and bandwidth way beyond what NSF and other grants
can pay for, if the usage growth continues like this?
It looks like one needs some kind of sagemath.com or other .com to take care
of this...

Dima

William Stein

Apr 24, 2012, 12:09:36 AM4/24/12
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 8:49 PM, Dima Pasechnik <dim...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Monday, 23 April 2012 21:02:05 UTC+8, William wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 12:11 AM, Dan Drake <> wrote:
>> > sagenb.org is so slow as to be unusable right now. Can someone
>> > investigate? Perhaps restart it?
>>
>> It gets automatically restarted twice a day anyways.   It's just
>> massively overused compared to the server resources and scalability of
>> the app.    Encourage me to do a complete truly scalable rewrite on
>> scalable infrastructure...
>
> Would one still need hardware and bandwidth way beyond what NSF and other
> grants
> can pay for, if the usage growth continues like this?

Yes, of course.

> It looks like one needs some kind of sagemath.com or other .com to take care
> of this...

> Dima
>

>> William
>>

>> > Thanks,
>> >
>> > Dan
>> >
>> > --
>> > ---  Dan Drake
>> > -----  http://mathsci.kaist.ac.kr/~drake
>> > -------
>>
>> --
>> William Stein
>> Professor of Mathematics
>> University of Washington
>> http://wstein.org

Jeroen Demeyer

Apr 24, 2012, 3:59:22 AM4/24/12
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
On 2012-04-24 05:49, Dima Pasechnik wrote:
> On Monday, 23 April 2012 21:02:05 UTC+8, William wrote:
>
> On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 12:11 AM, Dan Drake <> wrote:
> > sagenb.org <http://sagenb.org> is so slow as to be unusable right

> now. Can someone
> > investigate? Perhaps restart it?
>
> It gets automatically restarted twice a day anyways. It's just
> massively overused compared to the server resources and scalability of
> the app. Encourage me to do a complete truly scalable rewrite on
> scalable infrastructure...
>
> Would one still need hardware and bandwidth way beyond what NSF and
> other grants
> can pay for, if the usage growth continues like this?
Isn't the main bottleneck software currently?

Dima Pasechnik

Apr 24, 2012, 11:14:24 AM4/24/12
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
If 1% of registered sagenb users would run stuff on boxen at the same time, this would be 900 instances of sagenb.
I doubt boxen can handle this smoothly, even if they were interactive non-graphic terminal sessions.