firefox 3.5 and jsmath

Jason Grout

Jul 1, 2009, 4:21:56 AM7/1/09
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
Firefox 3.5 is now officially released. Unfortunately, jsmath is broken
in it (under ubuntu 9.04). The fonts are messed up, so commas are
replaced with semicolons, greek letters are accented roman letters, etc.
I'm curious if other people are seeing this. I've corresponded with
Davide about it; I'm not sure what the status of a fix for jsmath is,
though.

Is anyone else seeing the fonts in jsmath in firefox 3.5 messed up? To
check this, go to
http://www.math.union.edu/~dpvc/jsMath/symbols/cmmi10.html. If you see
a bunch of greek letters, things are okay. If you don't (I see a bunch
of normal roman letters, plus lots of accented letters), things are broken.

Thanks,

Jason

Kevin Horton

Jul 1, 2009, 7:22:09 AM7/1/09
to sage-...@googlegroups.com

Firefox 3.5 worked for me on ubuntu 9.04, using image fonts, but I got
the broken greek characters once I downloaded and installed the TeX
fonts. :(

--
Kevin Horton
Ottawa, Canada

javier

Jul 1, 2009, 8:39:11 AM7/1/09
to sage-devel
I have the same problem under Scientific Linux 5.3 (based on RedHat).
My macbook keeps displaying the fonts correctly.

If the problem is firefox 3.5, as it includes the option of using
downloadable fonts, couldn't the problem be solved by allowing jsmath
to directly provide the right fonts?

Cheers
Javier

On Jul 1, 9:21 am, Jason Grout <jason-s...@creativetrax.com> wrote:
> Firefox 3.5 is now officially released.  Unfortunately, jsmath is broken
> in it (under ubuntu 9.04).  The fonts are messed up, so commas are
> replaced with semicolons, greek letters are accented roman letters, etc.
>   I'm curious if other people are seeing this.  I've corresponded with
> Davide about it; I'm not sure what the status of a fix for jsmath is,
> though.
>
> Is anyone else seeing the fonts in jsmath in firefox 3.5 messed up?  To
> check this, go tohttp://www.math.union.edu/~dpvc/jsMath/symbols/cmmi10.html.  If you see

David Joyner

Jul 1, 2009, 9:07:11 AM7/1/09
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
Viewing this page with firefox 3.5 worked for me on ubuntu 9.04

> Thanks,
>
> Jason

J Elaych

Jul 1, 2009, 8:48:47 PM7/1/09
to sage-devel
Me too. On Ubuntu 9.10 alpha, today's Firefox 3.5 release.
Worked fine with no changes (using jsmath image fonts) but
broke when I installed the jsmath from Synaptic.

Dan Drake

Jul 1, 2009, 10:09:40 PM7/1/09
to sage-...@googlegroups.com

The cmr10.html page looks okay to me; I have FF 3.5 on Jaunty, and a
Karmic virtual machine with the official 3.5 release, and it works with
both browsers. (Except that in Karmic's browser, the letters Q, q, and j
are raised up a bit, but they render fine.)

However, in Jaunty, when I do latex('$\lambda$') in the notebook, I get
a funny accented O. In Karmic, it works fine.

Dan

--
--- Dan Drake <dr...@kaist.edu>
----- KAIST Department of Mathematical Sciences

signature.asc

Jason Grout

Jul 1, 2009, 10:58:11 PM7/1/09
to sage-...@googlegroups.com

Are you using TeX fonts or image fonts? (click on the jsmath icon to
see which you are using).

The mess-up happens when using TeX fonts.

Jason

Jason Grout

Jul 1, 2009, 11:01:05 PM7/1/09
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
Dan Drake wrote:
> On Wed, 01 Jul 2009 at 01:21AM -0700, Jason Grout wrote:
>> Firefox 3.5 is now officially released. Unfortunately, jsmath is broken
>> in it (under ubuntu 9.04). The fonts are messed up, so commas are
>> replaced with semicolons, greek letters are accented roman letters, etc.
>> I'm curious if other people are seeing this. I've corresponded with
>> Davide about it; I'm not sure what the status of a fix for jsmath is,
>> though.
>>
>> Is anyone else seeing the fonts in jsmath in firefox 3.5 messed up? To
>> check this, go to
>> http://www.math.union.edu/~dpvc/jsMath/symbols/cmmi10.html. If you see
>> a bunch of greek letters, things are okay. If you don't (I see a bunch
>> of normal roman letters, plus lots of accented letters), things are broken.
>
> The cmr10.html page looks okay to me; I have FF 3.5 on Jaunty, and a
> Karmic virtual machine with the official 3.5 release, and it works with
> both browsers. (Except that in Karmic's browser, the letters Q, q, and j
> are raised up a bit, but they render fine.)
>
> However, in Jaunty, when I do latex('$\lambda$') in the notebook, I get
> a funny accented O. In Karmic, it works fine.

Are you using TeX fonts in Karmic?

Jason

David Joyner

Jul 1, 2009, 11:08:27 PM7/1/09
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
image fonts.

Dan Drake

Jul 2, 2009, 12:00:38 AM7/2/09
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, 01 Jul 2009 at 07:58PM -0700, Jason Grout wrote:
> > Viewing this page with firefox 3.5 worked for me on ubuntu 9.04
>
> Are you using TeX fonts or image fonts? (click on the jsmath icon to
> see which you are using).
>
> The mess-up happens when using TeX fonts.

Hrm, okay, I tried again, and it's broken now. :) I think I was using
image fonts.

signature.asc

Peter Jeremy

Jul 2, 2009, 4:03:13 AM7/2/09
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
On 2009-Jul-01 01:21:56 -0700, Jason Grout <jason...@creativetrax.com> wrote:
>Is anyone else seeing the fonts in jsmath in firefox 3.5 messed up? To
>check this, go to
>http://www.math.union.edu/~dpvc/jsMath/symbols/cmmi10.html.

Same with Firefox 3.5beta4 on FreeBSD 8/amd84 - image fonts are OK but
as soon as I install the TTF TeX fonts, it breaks.

--
Peter Jeremy

Andrzej Giniewicz

Jul 4, 2009, 7:56:11 AM7/4/09
to sage-devel
Same here... today I upgraded and had to set to image fonts explicitly
in jsmath options

On 2 Lip, 10:03, Peter Jeremy <peterjer...@optushome.com.au> wrote:
> On 2009-Jul-01 01:21:56 -0700, Jason Grout <jason-s...@creativetrax.com> wrote:
>
> >Is anyone else seeing the fonts in jsmath in firefox 3.5 messed up?  To
> >check this, go to
> >http://www.math.union.edu/~dpvc/jsMath/symbols/cmmi10.html.
>
> Same with Firefox 3.5beta4 on FreeBSD 8/amd84 - image fonts are OK but
> as soon as I install the TTF TeX fonts, it breaks.
>
> --
> Peter Jeremy
>
>  application_pgp-signature_part
> < 1KWyświetlPobierz

Bo

Jul 7, 2009, 10:59:03 PM7/7/09
to sage-devel
Me too. It has made me so much trouble. I guess I can only delete the
jsmath font for now.

On Jul 4, 7:56 am, Andrzej Giniewicz <ggi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Same here... today I upgraded and had to set to image fonts explicitly
> injsmathoptions
>
> On 2 Lip, 10:03, Peter Jeremy <peterjer...@optushome.com.au> wrote:
>
> > On 2009-Jul-01 01:21:56 -0700, Jason Grout <jason-s...@creativetrax.com> wrote:
>
> > >Is anyone else seeing the fonts injsmathin firefox 3.5 messed up?  To

Andrzej Giniewicz

Jul 8, 2009, 5:54:20 AM7/8/09
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
well, just go into options, uncheck "auto select fonts" or something
like that and on right choose "image fonts", when it will be fixed
return back to tex fonts, no need to remove them I think

Pat LeSmithe

Jul 8, 2009, 10:32:45 AM7/8/09
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
wrote:
> Is anyone else seeing the fonts injsmathin firefox 3.5 messed up? To
> check this, go to
> http://www.math.union.edu/~dpvc/jsMath/symbols/cmmi10.html.

This is now

Please test the proposed workaround and suggest better substitute
characters.

Jason Grout

Jul 9, 2009, 11:38:54 AM7/9/09
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
Davide P. Cervone wrote:
> OK, I installed Ubuntu linux in a Parallels partition on my Mac, and
was able to test the problem (it doesn't occur in Windows or Mac
versions of Firefox). It appears that Firefox 3.5 no longer handles TTF
fonts with non-standard encodings. I have made new versions of the
fonts that pretends that it uses a standard encoding, and these seem to
work properly. I've attached an archive; will you try it out and see if
they work for you? If so, I will add them to the font download page.

Wow, that was quick! It seems to work; I've attached a screenshot of
the test page so you can see all of the characters. It looked like the
correct page, but I didn't compare it character for character.

Thanks again,

Jason

Jason Grout

Jul 18, 2009, 4:46:27 PM7/18/09
to sage-...@googlegroups.com

I've sent the link to your workaround to Davide. I'm curious what he
thinks of it.

Davide has also updated the fonts at
http://www.math.union.edu/~dpvc/jsMath/download/jsMath-fonts.html

If you are on linux, using firefox 3.5, replacing the tex fonts with
http://www.math.union.edu/~dpvc/jsMath/download/TeX-fonts-linux.tgz
fixes the problem.

Davide--feel free to respond directly to this list regarding the above
workaround.

Thanks,

Jason

--