New version of Sage virtual machine

Volker Braun

Jun 22, 2011, 6:24:28 AM6/22/11
to sage-...@googlegroups.com, Harald Schilly, Jane H Long, Karl-Dieter Crisman
I've updated my Sage virtual machine image. Now its as easy as it can be with a virtual machine: In VirtualBox, just go to File->Import Appliance, start it up, and point your web browser at http://localhost:8000

md5sum:
3eadcc287c92c5391417b517e01edd9b  sage-4.7.ova

The build scripts should work now well enough to think about putting it on the official server. It appears that sage.math has VirtualBox installed, but the kernel modules are not set up. Can somebody fix that (ideally by installing dkms so that you don't have to do it all over when a new kernel gets installed) and set up an account in the vboxusers group?

mmarco

Jun 22, 2011, 5:53:52 PM6/22/11
to sage-devel
¿WOuld it be possible to modify slightly the virtualbox code to make
it run directly this virtual machine (without asking which one to run
and so on)? This would really be something very close to a one-click
install for windows.

On 22 jun, 12:24, Volker Braun <vbraun.n...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've updated my Sage virtual machine image. Now its as easy as it can be
> with a virtual machine: In VirtualBox, just go to File->Import Appliance,
> start it up, and point your web browser athttp://localhost:8000

Volker Braun

Jun 22, 2011, 7:35:38 PM6/22/11
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
I thought about it and there is some hacked version floating around that does this. But there are the following downsides:

  * Any virtualization software needs superuser rights to install
  * It would always conflict with a preexisting VirtualBox install

Really, you should install VirtualBox as administrator (or, on Windows, click once though the barrage of UAC's popping up) and subsequently run the virtual machine as unprivileged user. Hacking together a one-click VirtualBox install would just train users to run insecure setups.

Dr. David Kirkby

Jun 23, 2011, 4:07:04 AM6/23/11
to sage-...@googlegroups.com

I agree with that too.