Is sage -f sagenb-VERSION supposed to update devel/sagenb-main?

1 view

Jeroen Demeyer

Dec 5, 2010, 9:28:31 AM12/5/10
to sage-devel
It seems that sage -f sagenb-VERSION doesn't actually do anything. It
does NOT change the devel/sagenb-main directory. This issue also breaks
upgrading sage-4.6 to sage-4.6.1.alpha3 for me, because sagenb is not
actually upgraded. Either I'm doing something wrong, or I'm making the
sagenb spkg wrongly or this is a real issue.

Jeroen.

Jeroen Demeyer

Dec 6, 2010, 5:08:02 AM12/6/10
to sage-...@googlegroups.com

Is anybody else seeing this problem with upgrades from sage-4.6 to
sage-4.6.1.alpha3?

Jeroen.

Mitesh Patel

Dec 8, 2010, 10:28:37 AM12/8/10
to sage-...@googlegroups.com

I've reproduced this when upgrading "manually" from a copy ('cp -a') of
vanilla 4.6 to 4.6.1.alpha3 on OS X 10.6 (bsd.math)

http://groups.google.com/group/sage-release/browse_thread/thread/8dbb88f4bb9a6c27/fca9c2ed57255675?#fca9c2ed57255675

and on Ubuntu 8.04.4 LTS (sage.math). I'm not sure yet about what's
causing it. I'll try to investigate later today (My schedule has
recently been disrupted).

Other upgrade attempts on sage.math failed. Apparently, the first run
of sage-upgrade died on

sage: An error occurred while installing cliquer-1.2.p7

and the second on

http://sage.math.washington.edu/home/release/sage-4.6.1.alpha3/sage-4.6.1.alpha3/spkg/VERSION.txt
--> VERSION.txt [.]
Failed to download
'http://sage.math.washington.edu/home/release/sage-4.6.1.alpha3/sage-4.6.1.alpha3/spkg/VERSION.txt'.
Abort.

Does this relate to

? The upgrade command I used is

yes | env MAKE="make -j20" SAGE_PARALLEL_SPKG_BUILD=yes ./sage -upgrade
http://sage.math.washington.edu/home/release/sage-4.6.1.alpha3/sage-4.6.1.alpha3
2>&1 | tee -a upgrade-4.6-4.6.1.alpha3-2.log

A log is at

http://sage.math.washington.edu/home/mpatel/trac/upgrade-4.6-4.6.1.alpha3-2.log

Or have I made a silly mistake(s)?

Jeroen Demeyer

Dec 9, 2010, 3:23:38 AM12/9/10
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
On 2010-12-08 16:28, Mitesh Patel wrote:
> I've reproduced this when upgrading "manually" from a copy ('cp -a') of
> vanilla 4.6 to 4.6.1.alpha3 on OS X 10.6 (bsd.math)
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/sage-release/browse_thread/thread/8dbb88f4bb9a6c27/fca9c2ed57255675?#fca9c2ed57255675
>
> and on Ubuntu 8.04.4 LTS (sage.math). I'm not sure yet about what's
> causing it. I'll try to investigate later today (My schedule has
> recently been disrupted).
>
> Other upgrade attempts on sage.math failed.

Strange. I have not been able to reproduce this upgrading problem on
sage.math (I use less "aggressive" make settings, maybe it is because of
that?). The only problem that I consistently get is that sagenb is not
upgraded, resulting in doctest failures (but the build always worked
fine for me).

Jeroen.

Jeroen Demeyer

Dec 15, 2010, 3:10:00 AM12/15/10
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
On 2010-12-05 15:28, Jeroen Demeyer wrote:

This seems to be an issue. Can any notebook people shed a light on
this? It be be really good if this were fixed.

leif

Dec 15, 2010, 5:59:34 AM12/15/10
to sage-devel
Who has provided that spkg?

I've cleaned up SageNB's spkg-install in sagenb-0.8.7.{p1,p2} which
never got merged.

It's on spkg-upload (G**gle) code.

-Leif

leif

Dec 15, 2010, 6:03:45 AM12/15/10
to sage-devel

leif

Dec 15, 2010, 6:11:39 AM12/15/10
to sage-devel
On 15 Dez., 12:03, leif <not.rea...@online.de> wrote:
> On 15 Dez., 11:59, leif <not.rea...@online.de> wrote:
> > On 15 Dez., 09:10, Jeroen Demeyer <jdeme...@cage.ugent.be> wrote:
> > > This seems to be an issue.  Can any notebook people shed a light on
> > > this?  It be be really good if this were fixed.
>
> > Who has provided that spkg?
>
> > I've cleaned up SageNB's spkg-install in sagenb-0.8.7.{p1,p2} which
> > never got merged.
> See http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/10176.

Consider [merging]

http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/attachment/ticket/10176/trac_10176-improve_spkg_dists_spkg_install_generation-spkg.patch

and

http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/attachment/ticket/10176/trac_10176-further_improve_spkg_install-spkg.patch

-Leif

leif

Dec 15, 2010, 3:25:17 PM12/15/10
to sage-devel
On 15 Dez., 12:11, leif <not.rea...@online.de> wrote:
> Consider [merging]
>
> http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/attachment/ticket/10176/trac_10176...
>
> and
>
> http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/attachment/ticket/10176/trac_10176...

To first finally answer the question in the thread's title: Yes. ;-)

I'm currently preparing a SageNB 0.8.9.p1 with the changes from #10176
(patches only rebased w.r.t. the version number in setup.py) and some
further minor additions.

If this doesn't fix the issue, it should at least give error messages
which allow to track the problem further down.

-Leif

leif

Dec 15, 2010, 8:54:45 PM12/15/10
to sage-devel
On 15 Dez., 21:25, leif <not.rea...@online.de> wrote:
> I'm currently preparing a SageNB 0.8.9.p1 with the changes from #10176
> (patches only rebased w.r.t. the version number in setup.py) and some
> further minor additions.

Changes, more changes, further changes... :/
(Most to sdist and spkg-dist itself; comments and error checking...)

Should I open a new ticket for the new spkg or put the changes (diff /
patch) onto #10176?

> If this doesn't fix the issue, it should at least give error messages
> which allow to track the problem further down.

> To first finally answer the question in the thread's title: Yes. ;-)

But I have another question:

Are there [separate] scripts ('sage -whatever ...') to clone the
*sagenb* repo and switch the sagenb branch???

'sage -clone' (which calls sage-clone) certainly does not, and I
haven't found others.

-Leif

leif

Dec 15, 2010, 11:17:04 PM12/15/10
to sage-devel
On 16 Dez., 02:54, leif <not.rea...@online.de> wrote:
> On 15 Dez., 21:25, leif <not.rea...@online.de> wrote:
>
> > I'm currently preparing a SageNB 0.8.9.p1 with the changes from #10176
> > (patches only rebased w.r.t. the version number in setup.py) and some
> > further minor additions.
>
> Changes, more changes, further changes... :/
> (Most to sdist and spkg-dist itself; comments and error checking...)
>
> Should I open a new ticket for the new spkg or put the changes (diff /
> patch) onto #10176?

New spkg up at:

http://spkg-upload.googlecode.com/files/sagenb-0.8.9.p1.spkg

md5sum: c572c29364f2ef496054696219832832

Have fun... ;-)

-Leif

P.S.: I'll attach a cumulative diff to #10176, for reference / review.

Jeroen Demeyer

Dec 16, 2010, 8:35:31 AM12/16/10
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
On 2010-12-15 21:25, leif wrote:
> I'm currently preparing a SageNB 0.8.9.p1 with the changes from #10176
> (patches only rebased w.r.t. the version number in setup.py) and some
> further minor additions.
>
> If this doesn't fix the issue, it should at least give error messages
> which allow to track the problem further down.

Upgrade path for testing:
http://sage.math.washington.edu/home/release/sage-4.6.1.rc0/sage-4.6.1.rc0/