sage notebook

William Stein

Mar 23, 2008, 3:37:10 PM3/23/08
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

If you're a student and interested in working on the Sage notebook all
summer, there is now a link from

http://wiki.python.org/moin/SummerOfCode

to a Sage Notebook Google Summer of Code project, which -- if you're a
student -- you could apply
for soon, if possible. I've been selected as a GSoC mentor for the
Python Software foundation,
so could mentor such a project.

William

--
William Stein
Associate Professor of Mathematics

Ondrej Certik

Mar 25, 2008, 10:28:48 AM3/25/08
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Mar 23, 2008 at 8:37 PM, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> If you're a student and interested in working on the Sage notebook all
> summer, there is now a link from
>
> http://wiki.python.org/moin/SummerOfCode
>
> to a Sage Notebook Google Summer of Code project, which -- if you're a
> student -- you could apply
> for soon, if possible. I've been selected as a GSoC mentor for the
> Python Software foundation,
> so could mentor such a project.

That'd be a very interesting and very useful project.

Also - would releasing the notebook separately from Sage make sense?
That could (imho should be) one of the tasks for the project. Because
you will have to explain in the application, why this is useful to the
Python community and to PSF. Also it could maybe be used in the
ipython1. PSF made clear, that they will support projects, that are
clearly beneficial to the Python community, but that they will not
(much) support projects, that just happen to be written in Python.

If you want me to proof read the application before sending it, let me
know. The deadline is March 31.

Ondrej

William Stein

Mar 25, 2008, 11:02:43 AM3/25/08
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 7:28 AM, Ondrej Certik <ond...@certik.cz> wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 23, 2008 at 8:37 PM, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > If you're a student and interested in working on the Sage notebook all
> > summer, there is now a link from
> >
> > http://wiki.python.org/moin/SummerOfCode
> >
> > to a Sage Notebook Google Summer of Code project, which -- if you're a
> > student -- you could apply
> > for soon, if possible. I've been selected as a GSoC mentor for the
> > Python Software foundation,
> > so could mentor such a project.
>
> That'd be a very interesting and very useful project.
>
> Also - would releasing the notebook separately from Sage make sense?

Yes.

> That could (imho should be) one of the tasks for the project. Because
> you will have to explain in the application, why this is useful to the
> Python community and to PSF. Also it could maybe be used in the
> ipython1.

The main obstruction right now is licensing (which is serious)
and not invented here.

> PSF made clear, that they will support projects, that are
> clearly beneficial to the Python community, but that they will not
> (much) support projects, that just happen to be written in Python.
>
> If you want me to proof read the application before sending it, let me
> know. The deadline is March 31.

Not a single student has responded to my email or expressed interest in this
project, unfortunately. So unfortunately, I very much doubt there will
even be any applications for you to proof read. :-(

William

Ondrej Certik

Mar 31, 2008, 6:42:31 AM3/31/08
to sage-...@googlegroups.com

I blogged about this in:

http://ondrejcertik.blogspot.com/2008/03/sympy-accepts-google-summer-of-code.html

But it doesn't seem any student got interested in this.

Ondrej