sage cell server and doctests

Jason Grout

Mar 3, 2012, 10:44:12 AM3/3/12
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
Here's a crazy idea:

What if we included a bit of javascript in with the Sage html
documentation that added a little "Try it!" button to each doctest in
the documentation. Clicking the button would send the cell to the Sage
cell server and return the output, and allow the user to then modify the
code and try other outputs.

Jason

kcrisman

Mar 3, 2012, 1:57:13 PM3/3/12
to sage-devel
And that wouldn't overload anything? Naturally, not the worst idea -
and better than the current status of some competitors' documentation,
probably?

Jason Grout

Mar 3, 2012, 2:00:56 PM3/3/12
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
On 3/3/12 12:57 PM, kcrisman wrote:

> On Mar 3, 10:44 am, Jason Grout<jason-s...@creativetrax.com> wrote:
>> Here's a crazy idea:
>>
>> What if we included a bit of javascript in with the Sage html
>> documentation that added a little "Try it!" button to each doctest in
>> the documentation. Clicking the button would send the cell to the Sage
>> cell server and return the output, and allow the user to then modify the
>> code and try other outputs.
>
> And that wouldn't overload anything?

It would probably right now. Hopefully in the future...

We'd find out if more than 40 people looked at and tried out the Sage
documentation at any given instant world-wide :).

Jason

Robert Bradshaw

Mar 4, 2012, 3:59:16 AM3/4/12
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Mar 3, 2012 at 11:00 AM, Jason Grout
<jason...@creativetrax.com> wrote:
> On 3/3/12 12:57 PM, kcrisman wrote:
>>

>> On Mar 3, 10:44 am, Jason Grout<jason-s...@creativetrax.com>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Here's a crazy idea:
>>>
>>> What if we included a bit of javascript in with the Sage html
>>> documentation that added a little "Try it!" button to each doctest in
>>> the documentation.  Clicking the button would send the cell to the Sage
>>> cell server and return the output, and allow the user to then modify the
>>> code and try other outputs.

Great idea! Next step would allow the user to submit their new
examples as a patch with one click (assuming they're novel enough to
be worth including).

>> And that wouldn't overload anything?
>
> It would probably right now.  Hopefully in the future...

Cycles well spent IMHO, though actually getting things to scale
proportional to the resources at our disposal is (near-term) future
work.

On this note, I love the "single cell server" box on the main page. My
only complaint is that I sat there quite a while waiting for it to
give me the answer, we should evaluate the code right away, not expect
the user to click "eval" and then have to click "evaluate" on the next
page.

- Robert