Safe and SafeDesktop Provide Synchronization

Thomas King

Apr 26, 2007, 6:34:31 AM4/26/07
to safe_and_s...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,
I am proud to announce the release of SafeDesktop 0.5alpha and Safe 1.9. These
tools offer a lot of new features:
- Synchronization of data between a mobile device and a desktop pc
- Safe provides a settings form that allows to switch on or off different
features such as automatic logout, import/export, and synchronization.

Webservices are used to synchronize between the mobile and the desktop. Hence,
a mobile device is required that provides CLDC 1.0, MIDP 2.0, PDA Optional
Package (JSR 75), and Web Service API (WSA) (JSR 172). On the desktop Java 6
Standard Edition is required.

The tools can be downloaded from the javawi.de website:
- Safe: http://www.javawi.de/safe_ng/safe.html
- SafeDesktop: http://www.javawi.de/SafeDesktop/SafeDesktop.jar

Please keep in mind that both versions are still alpha and should not be used
to store mission-critical data. These versions are supposed to be developer
versions and their main purpose is to find bugs.

Known Bugs:
- Safe:
- Import/Export is not properly working
- The "Please stand-by" screen is not popping up while synchronizing,
importing, or exporting.

Please let me know what you think about these tools or if you find any bugs.

Best regards,
Thomas King

Thomas King

Apr 26, 2007, 1:57:10 PM4/26/07
to safe_and_s...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,
I just uploaded a new version of Safe and SafeDesktop and I fixed all the bugs
I was aware of. So please, hunt for remaining bugs ... :-)

Greetings,
Thomas

KingLingPing

May 1, 2007, 12:25:34 AM5/1/07
to Safe_and_SafeDesktop
Hi Thomas,

The new software is looking great.

Please can you post a step-by-step guide (for both the phone and
desktop app) which explains how to configure them.

Kind regards,

JamesK

Thomas King

May 3, 2007, 4:59:11 PM5/3/07
to safe_and_s...@googlegroups.com
Step-by-Step Guide to Setup SafeDesktop and Safe:

First of all, you need a mobile device that is able to run Safe. So, every
J2ME-enabled device that supports CLDC 1.0, MIDP 2.0, JSR75 (PDA Optional
Package), and JSR172 (Web Service API (WSA)) should do the job. Furthermore,
you need an IP connection between your mobile and your desktop. The easiest
way to setup such an connection might be to use UMTS or GPRS to bring your
mobile device to the Internet, and further attach your desktop to a Internet
connection of your choice. Make sure, that port 8080 of your desktop machine
is not blocked by a firewall or a NAT. The IP address of your desktop machine
is required to access it by the mobile device, so please use one of the fancy
graphical tools to figure it out, or just open a shell and type something like
ifconfig or ipconfig.

Lets proceed with SafeDesktop. Before you can start it, you have to download
it. The download link is posted a few messages earlier in this thread. Copy
the jar file into a newly created folder and double-click it (assuming Java 6
is installed). A dialog shows up asking for the new root password twice to
make sure it is not mistyped. After entering the new root password, the main
window pops up. Creating, editing and deleting of entries should be
self-explanatory. To start the synchronization process just press the
synchronize button.

To run Safe on your mobile device you have to download it from the link
already mentioned before. After it is successfully installed, just start
it. After entering the root password twice again, a empty list shows
up. Please make sure that the root password on the mobile and on the desktop
are equal because otherwise synchronization will not work. Before the
synchronization can be started, the settings must be adjusted. To do so, just
press Menu->Settings. As soon as the settings form shows up, please enable the
Synchronization item and enter the IP address of the desktop at the buttom of
the form. After leaving the settings by clicking on the Ok button, a new
entry called Synchronize is added to the main menu. By pressing this entry the
synchronization process should be initialized.

After finishing the synchronization you can click on the Done button
of SafeDesktop to switch back to editing mode.

Have fun and let me know if you need further help running Safe or SafeDesktop.

Greetings,
Thomas

mad...@gmx.de

May 28, 2007, 9:27:57 AM5/28/07
to Safe_and_SafeDesktop
On 3 Mai, 22:59, Thomas King <k...@t-king.de> wrote:
> Step-by-Step Guide to Setup SafeDesktop and Safe:
>
> Furthermore,
> you need an IP connection between your mobile and your desktop. The easiest
> way to setup such an connection might be to use UMTS or GPRS to bring your
> mobile device to the Internet, and further attach your desktop to a Internet
> connection of your choice.

Hi Thomas,
it's a useful and easy to use programm! But is it possible to build in
a synchronization over an USB connection? It would be an easier and
cheaper way to synchronize the mobile.
Kind Regards,
Manfred

Thomas King

May 28, 2007, 7:50:15 PM5/28/07
to safe_and_s...@googlegroups.com
Hi Manfred,
I think Bluetooth support for synchronization might be better because most
cell phones are shipped with built-in Bluetooth but not with a USB cable.
Even worse, such cables are usually extremely expensive.

Bluetooth support for synchronization is going to be added to the feature
request lists but I doubt that it will be available in the near future. At
the moment I am too busy with doing other things so do not have enough time
to implement this feature. However, Safe and SafeDesktop are distributed
under the terms of the GPL which means that everybody is invited to implement
whatever he thinks is missing. I encourage everyone to send me patches about
extensions and improvements.

Best regards,
Thomas