Fwd: [periyavaa] SIVA TEMPLES OF SOUTH INDIA

Dr D Bharadwaj

Sep 14, 2011, 7:28:56 AM9/14/11
to Sadgoshthi
sarvE bhavantu sukhinaH |
sarvE santu nirAmayAH |
sarvE bhadrAni paSyantu |
mA kaschit duHkha bhAg bhavEt ||

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Ranga (Yahoo) <s_ran...@yahoo.com.sg>
Date: Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 5:31 PM
Subject: [periyavaa] SIVA TEMPLES OF SOUTH INDIA
To: "peri...@yahoogroups.com" <peri...@yahoogroups.com>

Many years ago, I was gifted by a book by an unknown person at Bharati Vidya Bhavan.  It was titled Siva Temples of South India.

I have found this book as one of the most simple and informative books and I have wanted to share this book with everyone. Because of my other commitments, so far I have not been able to do this, but now I am attempting to do the same. It may take soem time, but I wil do my best to update this on a regular basis.

To start with, I have started of with temples which have special significance to the Lord.

TWELVE JYOTIRLINGAS

PLACE

NAME OF LORD

Somnath (Gujarat)

Srisailam (AP)

Ujjain (MP)

Omkareswara (MP)

Kedarnath (UP)

Bhimashankar (Maharashtra)

Varanasi (UP)

Tryambakeswar (Maharashtra)

Vaidyanath (Bihar)

Nageswar (Gujarat)

Rameswaram

Ghirishnesh

Somnatheswara

Mallikarjuneswara

Mahakaleswara

Omkareswara

Kedareswara

Bhimashankara

Visweswara

Tryambakeswara

Vaidyanath

Nageswara

Ramanathaswamy

Ghirishneshwara

PANCHA BHOOTA KSHETRA

The five great Elements of nature are represented at each one of these temples. Together these temples are called the Pancha Bhoota Kshetras

PLACE

NAME OF LORD

Element

Srikalahasti (AP)
Kancheepuram

Tiruvannamalai

Chidambaram

Tiruvannaikaval

Srikalahastiswara

Ekambareswara

Arunachaleswara

Nataraja

Jambukeswara

Air

Earth

Fire

Akasha (Ether / Space)

Water

ASHTA VEERATANNA KSHETRA

These are certain places where Lord Siva assumed Rajo Guna and performed heroic deeds for destroying evil forces. Eight such places are specifically mentioned and collectively called Ashta Veerattana Kshetras.

PLACE

NAME OF LORD

Tirukkoyilur

Tiruvadigai

Tirrukadavur

Parasalur

Kurrukai

Valuvur

Virkudi

Kandiyur

Andhakasura Samharam

Tripura Dahanam

Kala Samharam

Daksha Samhanam

Kama Dahanam

Gajasura Samhanam

Jalandrasura Samharam

Brahma’s head was plucked

SAPTHA VIDANGA KSHETRA

Saptha Vidanga Kshetra are the seven places where the seven places where the seven Lingas said to have been brought by Mucukunda Chakravarti from Devaloka are worshpped. These Linga Murti’s are called “Vidanga” because they were created by Maya without a chisel (Vi means without and Danga means Chisel). Further each of these places are indentified with a dance form of Thyagaraja (Lord Siva)

PLACE

NAME OF LORD

DANCE

Tiruvarur

Tirunallar

Nagapattinam

Tirukuvalai

Tiruvaimur

Tirukkaraivasal

Vedaranyam

Veedhi Vidangar

Nagara Vidangar

Sundara Vidangar

Avani Vidangar

Nila Vidangar

Adi Vidangar

Bhuvani Vidangar

Ajapa Natanam

Unmatha Natanam

Para Vira Taranga Natanam

Biringa Natanam

Kamala Natanam

Kukkuta Natanam

Hamsapada Natanam

PANCHA SABHA

The five places where Lord Nataraja performed his Tandavam are collectively known as Pancha Sabha meaning five assembly halls of Lord Nataraja

PLACE

NAME OF SABHA

DANCE

Chidambaram

Tiruvalangadu

Madurai

Tirunelveli

Kutralam

Kanaka Sabha

Ratna Sabha

Rajata Sabha

Tamira Sabha

Chitra Sabha

Ananda Tandavam

Oordhva Tandavam

Sandhya Tandavam

Muni Tandavam

Tripura Tandavam

PANCHA ARAMA KSHETRAM

Pancha Arama Kshetram are those five places where the pieces of a Swayambhu Linga are installed. This Swayambhu Lingam was being carried by Tarakasura in his throat, which was broken into five pieces by Kumaraswamy (Subramanya) during the course of the battle with him and these pieces fell at the following places.

PLACE

NAME OF LORD

Drakshashrama

Samalkot

Gunipundi (Bhimavaram)

Palakollu

Amaravati

Drakshashrama Swamy

Bhimarama Swamy

Somarama Swamy

Kshirarama Swamy

Amararama Swamy

ARUPADAI VEEDU

The Arupadai Veedu are identified as directly associated with Lord Muruga. These six places collectively are called the Arupadai Veedu

PLACE

Tiruttani

Swamimalai

Palani

Pazhamudir Solai

Tiruparakundram

Tiruchendur

Navagraha Kshetra

Worship of the Navagraha Murti is done in various ways not only to appease them for mitigation of their malefic influence but also to seek their blessings for acquiring peace, wealth, prosperity and longevity of life in the world. Perhaps, to satisfy this need, a shrine is set up apart for the planetary deities in all Siva temples. They are installed on a single platform with the Sun God as the presiding deity in the centre.  There are however a few temples where one or the other of the Navagraha deities individually find a shrine exclusively dedicated for them

PLACE

Planet

Suryanarkoil

Tirvarur / Tingaloor

Vaitheeswaran Kovil

Tirvenkadu

Alangudi

Kanjanoor

Tirunallar

Keezhperupallam

Tirunageswaram

Sun

Moon

Mangal (Mars)

Budha (Mercury)

Guru (Jupiter)

Sukra (Venus)

Shani (Saturn)

Ketu

Rahu

The next update will start the journey at Kolkata, travelling down the east coast and exploring the various temples.

Best regards

Ranganath

Meena Iruvanti

Sep 14, 2011, 9:46:13 AM9/14/11
to sadgo...@googlegroups.com
very nice sharing! thank you

--
http://yogicselfmastery.blogspot.com/

to the "Sadgoshthi" Google Group.

This is a Group created for the purpose of
free sharing of matters of quality social cultural,
religious, spiritual interest, among the members.

To post to this group, send email
to sadgo...@googlegroups.com
sadgoshthi+...@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.co.in/group/sadgoshthi?hl=en-GB

--
Sriramanagurubhyonnamaha

Meena Ramana

Gopi Krishna Paritala

Sep 15, 2011, 12:33:02 AM9/15/11
to sadgo...@googlegroups.com
Many thanks. Very useful information. Love and Love alone ....
Paritala Gopi Krishna

Saibaba SV

Sep 15, 2011, 2:16:22 AM9/15/11
to sadgo...@googlegroups.com, Ranga (Yahoo)
Very good compilation.

Thank you Mr. Ranganath for sharing such useful information

S.V.Sai baba

Thanks for sharing... its a great resource

--

http://www.facebook.com/ganesh.j.acharya