UPDATE: Madagascar Cuckoo in southern Kruger

Trevor Hardaker

Nov 28, 2012, 5:36:15 AM11/28/12
to sa-rare...@googlegroups.com

Well, it seems that the MADAGASCAR CUCKOO has not disappeared just yet, but has merely moved to a different area…

Johann Kritzinger reports that the bird was located again this morning at the intersection of the S113 and S23 roads (co-ordinates for the site have been given as 25 12.738 S 31 35.595 E) in the Kruger National Park at around 07h00. It was apparently extremely vocal and called the entire time that they were with it, although obviously not continuously. They eventually left the bird after having spent more than an hour with it and there were apparently 3 vehicles there enjoying the bird. This is about 10km north of where it was originally reported from near Biyamiti. The bird has also apparently been photographed and I hope to have an image to include in tomorrow night’s report.

Good luck if you are planning on still chasing this one and keep us updated!

Kind regards
Trevor

TREVOR HARDAKER

Cape Town, South Africa

Follow our local exploits in the field at:

http://hardakerwildlife.wordpress.com/

See our photos and trip reports at:

www.hardaker.co.za

ZEST for BIRDS

Pelagics, rarity photos, listing clubs and more:

www.zestforbirds.co.za

SA RARE BIRD NEWS

Get the latest rarity news by joining at:

http://groups.google.co.za/group/sa-rarebirdnews

SOUTHERN AFRICAN RARITIES

Online database of all SA rarities

www.rarities.co.za