MEGA ALERT: Northern Rockhopper Penguin at Onrus

Trevor Hardaker

Feb 19, 2013, 11:41:22 AM2/19/13
to SA Rare Bird News

Photos have arrived and there are now several observers on site too and the bird can be confirmed as a NORTHERN ROCKHOPPER PENGUIN. It may well even be the same individual that entertained so many of us a few weeks ago at Soetwater as this bird looks in a lot better condition and not in some tatty moult...:)

As mentioned previously, the bird is at Hardebaai in Onrus and the GPS co-ordinates for the site are S 34 24 59.7 E 19 10 23.3. Thanks very much to Anton Odendal for getting the news out so quickly and making sure that he got the photos through to me quickly as well and then also to Keir and Alouise Lynch who sent through the co-ordinates to the site. I am still hoping for a few more photos from the various observers that are there at the moment, but for now, here is one of Anton’s shots of the bird taken this evening.

19 feb 001.jpg

Good luck if you are planning on chasing this one – it looks like a stunning individual!

Kind regards

Trevor

TREVOR HARDAKER

Cape Town, South Africa

Follow our local exploits in the field at:

http://hardakerwildlife.wordpress.com/

See our photos and trip reports at:

www.hardaker.co.za

ZEST for BIRDS

Pelagics, rarity photos, listing clubs and more:

www.zestforbirds.co.za

SA RARE BIRD NEWS

Get the latest rarity news by joining at:

http://groups.google.co.za/group/sa-rarebirdnews

SOUTHERN AFRICAN RARITIES

Online database of all SA rarities

www.rarities.co.za