SA Rare Bird News Report - 25 February 2013

Trevor Hardaker

Feb 25, 2013, 1:29:19 PM2/25/13
to SA Rare Bird News

This is the Southern African Rare Bird News Report issued at 20h30 on Monday, 25 February 2013. Information has been gleaned from various websites, email groups as well as from individual observers who have passed on their sightings. This report cannot be taken as being totally comprehensive as it is based only on information made available at the time of writing. All bird sightings reported here are reported in good faith based on information as provided by the observers. Any inaccuracies are totally unintentional and the writer cannot be held liable for these. For those who may have only joined the group recently and are interested in finding out what has been seen in the past, previous reports can be viewed at http://groups.google.co.za/group/sa-rarebirdnews

Before I get started, I just need to let everyone know that there will not be a formal report on Thursday as I will be attending a talk that evening and will not have time to put a report together unfortunately... But I will certainly post alerts if there is anything of importance to let you all know about.

Then just a little bit of shameless self promotion again for those of you that are on Facebook… If you are interested at all in seeing photos of some of the spectacular beasts we saw on our trip in Colombia (or photos and news of many of our local species as well), please pop across to my Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Trevor-Hardaker-wildlife-enthusiast-and-photographer/297716993600952 and press the “like” button at the top of the page.

That way, every time I post a new photo, it will pop up in your news feed. There are already quite a number of photos from Colombia posted there, so I hope you enjoy them…J Alright, on to some news…

EUROPEAN HONEY BUZZARD

-       One reported from the entrance to the Southern Sanctuary in Richard’s Bay on Friday (KZN).

-       One reported from Helderberg Nature Reserve in Somerset West on Saturday (Western Cape).

-       One still present at Polokwane Golf Club on Saturday (Limpopo).

-       One at the 17th hole of the Umhlali Country Club outside Ballito yesterday afternoon (KZN).

PECTORAL SANDPIPER

-       One still present at Pan P1 at Strandfontein Sewage Works late this afternoon (Western Cape).

European Honey Buzzard at Polokwane Golf Club

© Jody de Bruyn

European Honey Buzzard at Richard’s Bay

© David Allan

On to the rest of the news and, starting in the Western Cape, a FLESH-FOOTED SHEARWATER was seen on one of the regular pelagic trips out of Simon’s Town on Saturday whilst, yesterday, the BLACK TERN at Strandfontein Sewage Works was still present.

In the Northern Cape, a slightly out of range GREATER HONEYGUIDE was reported from Witsand Nature Reserve on Saturday.

In Kwazulu Natal, there was a report earlier today of a DARK CHANTING GOSHAWK along the Loop Road in Mkhuze Game Reserve, seemingly also out of range.

Flesh-footed Shearwater on pelagic trip

© Trevor Hardaker

Greater Honeyguide at Witsand Nature Reserve

© Heide Wetmore

In Gauteng, the MOUNTAIN WAGTAIL at Fountains Valley Resort next to the Groenkloof Nature Reserve is still attracting a lot of interest although its appearances were a little erratic over the weekend. Also of interest, at least 6 RED-BACKED MANNIKINS were reported from the site this afternoon, following a sighting of 2 birds late last week. This species is well out of range here and one has to wonder about the authenticity of these birds, considering there are so many of them there.

And finally, in Limpopo Province, 2 GREY WAGTAILS were reported from Debegeni Falls in Magoebaskloof on the weekend, yet another season that this rarity is available at this site.

Mountain Wagtail at Fountains Valley Resort

© Bill Richter

Red-backed Mannikin at Fountains Valley Resort

© Geoff Finney

Grey Wagtail at Debegeni Falls

© Mark Scholefield

Grey Wagtail at Debegeni Falls

© Jody de Bruyn

Please remember to send through your details to be included on the various listing clubs that are hosted at www.zestforbirds.co.za. This website also has an extensive rarities gallery that has many additional photos of a number of rarities that are mentioned in these reports.

Thank you to all observers who have contributed their records. Please continue to send through any reports of odd birds as well as continued updates on the presence of rarities already previously reported, no matter how mundane you think they may be. Even if you think someone else has probably sent in a report, rather send the report yourself as well. The only way to improve this service and to make it as useful as possible to everyone is if it can be as comprehensive as possible.

Kind regards

Trevor

TREVOR HARDAKER

Cape Town, South Africa

Follow our local exploits in the field at:

http://hardakerwildlife.wordpress.com/

See our photos and trip reports at:

www.hardaker.co.za

ZEST for BIRDS

Pelagics, rarity photos, listing clubs and more:

www.zestforbirds.co.za

SA RARE BIRD NEWS

Get the latest rarity news by joining at:

http://groups.google.co.za/group/sa-rarebirdnews

SOUTHERN AFRICAN RARITIES

Online database of all SA rarities

www.rarities.co.za