Getting fuse: failed to open /dev/fuse: Permission denied error

Walther

Feb 11, 2010, 3:04:10 AM2/11/10
to s3ql
Hi

I am running CentOS5.3.

When running the tests it keeps failing on test_chown
(t4_fuse.fuse_tests) with this error:
fuse: failed to open /dev/fuse: Permission denied

Output of: ls -la /dev/fuse
crwxrw-rw- 1 root fuse 10, 229 Feb 10 22:38 /dev/fuse

And my user is part of the fuse group (I am currently running in root
to install it).

Any ideas on how to solve this problem?

Nikolaus Rath

Feb 11, 2010, 10:00:10 AM2/11/10
to s3...@googlegroups.com

Could you try the fusexmp example filesystem that comes with fuse and
try if that works, so that we can isolate the problem?

Best,

-Nikolaus

--
�Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a Banana.�

PGP fingerprint: 5B93 61F8 4EA2 E279 ABF6 02CF A9AD B7F8 AE4E 425C

Walther

Feb 11, 2010, 1:21:13 PM2/11/10
to s3ql
I get the same error.

Just a update, I'm running CentOS 5.4, not 5.3

Nikolaus Rath

Feb 11, 2010, 5:10:24 PM2/11/10
to s3...@googlegroups.com

On 02/11/2010 01:21 PM, Walther wrote:
>>> I am running CentOS5.3.
>>
>>> When running the tests it keeps failing on test_chown
>>> (t4_fuse.fuse_tests) with this error:
>>> fuse: failed to open /dev/fuse: Permission denied
>>
>>> Output of: ls -la /dev/fuse
>>> crwxrw-rw- 1 root fuse 10, 229 Feb 10 22:38 /dev/fuse
>>
>>> And my user is part of the fuse group (I am currently running in root
>>> to install it).
>>
>>> Any ideas on how to solve this problem?
>>
>> Could you try the fusexmp example filesystem that comes with fuse and
>> try if that works, so that we can isolate the problem?
>
> I get the same error.
>
> Just a update, I'm running CentOS 5.4, not 5.3

This seems to be a FUSE problem. I suggest to take this to the FUSE
mailing list, http://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/fuse-devel.
The people there should be able to sort this out much faster than I am,
and I'm reading there too.

Walther

Feb 16, 2010, 4:17:32 AM2/16/10
to s3ql
Managed to fix it.

The problem was with the way that OpenVZ works (All VMs share the same
kernel/devices). Had to get my host to give my VM permissions to
access the /dev/fuse device.

On Feb 12, 12:10 am, Nikolaus Rath <Nikol...@rath.org> wrote:

> >> Could you try the fusexmp example filesystem that comes with fuse and
> >> try if that works, so that we can isolate the problem?
>
>  >
>  > I get the same error.
>  >
>  > Just a update, I'm running CentOS 5.4, not 5.3
>
> This seems to be a FUSE problem. I suggest to take this to the FUSE

Nikolaus Rath

Feb 16, 2010, 9:18:28 AM2/16/10
to s3...@googlegroups.com
Glad to hear that. I'll add an entry to the FAQ.