searching list archive via Google gone wrong

Bernard Devlin

Oct 19, 2006, 10:25:08 AM10/19/06
to use-rev...@lists.runrev.com
Mostly, I don't ask for help on this list because I have found that
searching the archive via Google usually brings an answer (that and
the great documentation esp. in earlier versions of Rev - trust me,
after struggling with Applescript last week, I really, really
appreciate both xTalk and the Rev docs more).

Anyway, I've noticed recently that a) Google searches of the list
seem to be bringing up useful results less and less often. Maybe my
needs are changing, but in any case there is definitely something
wrong with the Google results. Clicking on a returned result takes
one to an entry in the list, but it is the wrong entry. Clicking on
Google's cached copy of that page takes one to the right page.

I don't know if the problem is Google's or Runrev's. But I just
thought I'd bring it up, in case anyone else has noticed anything
strange.

Bernard Devlin

Andre Garzia

Oct 19, 2006, 10:57:24 AM10/19/06
to How to use Revolution
Bernard,

if you check on RevOnline, you'll see a mail list archive search
plugin by mark, it provides you with nice results. Google DB seems
bloated, too many garbage, I often need to do many refinements to
find what I want, this is not google fault if I try to imagine the
amount of info they are trying to index. Nor is runrev because runrev
mantains no searchable list archives. You can also try the GMane
interface here http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.ide.revolution.user

Andre

Eric Chatonet

Oct 19, 2006, 11:50:17 AM10/19/06
to How to use Revolution
Hi Bernard,

If you have Rev 2.7.x, you can use the Rev Search Engine (last tab in
the docs tool bar).
With a previous version, you can download the Resources Picker plugin
from my website (same features)
With it you can:

Search the mailing lists with GMane
Search the mailing lists with Google
Search the mailing lists with Mail Archive
Search the mailing lists with Nable
Un/Subscribe and Send a Mail to the Mailing Lists
Go to other Lists and Groups

And many other search types: Rev docs, related web, etc.

Le 19 oct. 06 à 16:25, Bernard Devlin a écrit :

> Mostly, I don't ask for help on this list because I have found that
> searching the archive via Google usually brings an answer (that and
> the great documentation esp. in earlier versions of Rev - trust me,
> after struggling with Applescript last week, I really, really
> appreciate both xTalk and the Rev docs more).
>
> Anyway, I've noticed recently that a) Google searches of the list
> seem to be bringing up useful results less and less often. Maybe
> my needs are changing, but in any case there is definitely
> something wrong with the Google results. Clicking on a returned
> result takes one to an entry in the list, but it is the wrong
> entry. Clicking on Google's cached copy of that page takes one to
> the right page.
>
> I don't know if the problem is Google's or Runrev's. But I just
> thought I'd bring it up, in case anyone else has noticed anything
> strange.
>
> Bernard Devlin

Best Regards from Paris,
Eric Chatonet
----------------------
http://www.sosmartsoftware.com/ eric.c...@sosmartsoftware.com/

Bernard Devlin

Oct 19, 2006, 2:28:48 PM10/19/06
to use-rev...@lists.runrev.com
Thanks Andre and Eric, I'm glad to know there are other interfaces
into this list. Hopefully one of them will prove to be an adequate
replacement. I did try a couple of them to try and find the answer
to the question I posted about the Standalone Builder, but I couldn't
find any thing of relevance to my problem.

Bernard Devlin

Roger....@sealedair.com

Oct 19, 2006, 2:45:01 PM10/19/06
to How to use Revolution
> I'm glad to know there are other interfaces into this list.

This one is my favorite... a nice, clean, simple page.

http://www.mail-archive.com/use-rev...@lists.runrev.com/maillist.html

Roger Eller <roger....@sealedair.com>

Sivakatirswami

Oct 21, 2006, 5:58:48 AM10/21/06
to How to use Revolution
This is a bit OT, (pushed one of my buttons...) Is it just me that
senses this?: that as Google is getting bigger and bigger I'm seeing
it's indexing of any given asset on the net is getting spottier and
spottier. There is one group of minds that is so entralled with this
behmoth they believe it must know every page of every site it crawls, I
can assure this was once the case, but is no longer. In the case of our
sites, three years ago, a search term found *every* instance on our
www.hinduismtoday.com site... but not today... though the archives have
not changed.

Meanwhile some web teams are breaking their heads asking "why is Google
not delivering hits for X number of pages on our site for a given search
term, when it appears that it is crawling our site from top to bottom?"
They take it on themselves, since "Google can do no wrong," so it
must be something that "we have to fix on our site."... Web admins are
now Google serfs. Again -- as with cross platform browser coding, --
putting manhours into feeding yet another glittering web techno beast
instead of building meaningful content... Meanwhile my gut feeling is:
Google clearly will always keep the carrot just a bit ahead of the
donkey--no matter what you do, their index of your site will not be 100%
complete-perfect.

Can anyone confirm this perception? I would love to be proved wrong: it
goes to strategy, a) depend on a Google search link on your site, for
your own site, b) set up you own search engine (HT DIG). c) pay Google
the big bucks to index your site completely.

OK this is now *way* OT... if you have thoughts or hard information on
this area... email me off list.

Sivakatirswami

-

Mark Wieder

Oct 21, 2006, 11:34:21 PM10/21/06
to How to use Revolution
Sivakatirswami-

Saturday, October 21, 2006, 2:58:48 AM, you wrote:

> Can anyone confirm this perception? I would love to be proved wrong: it
> goes to strategy, a) depend on a Google search link on your site, for
> your own site, b) set up you own search engine (HT DIG). c) pay Google
> the big bucks to index your site completely.

> OK this is now *way* OT... if you have thoughts or hard information on
> this area... email me off list.

I'll put this on the list since, as you know, your mail server
software doesn't like me. <g>

This isn't OT: my ArchiveSearch plugin uses Google as one of the
options for backend searching of the list archives, and it's been
returning fewer and fewer hits. Switching the search preference to
Gmane or Nabble or Mail-archive does a better job.

There are areas where some search engines do a better job than others.
And while there's some overlap, you will also get hits on one engine
and not on another. And vice versa.

Another big problem for me with Google searches (at least as far as
listserv searches go) is that Google's interpretation of "within the
last three months" or a similar search is any page that has been
*updated* within that time period, no matter when it was originally
published. Thus searching for "externals" and "within the last three
months" on the runrev listserv using Google may turn up articles
posted two years ago, as long as the web page they reside on was
recently updated by the mailing list archival software.

On a semi-related topic (and moving somewhat OT) Alexa has started a
program to allow you to create your own search engines that run on
their servers. You can program them to do whatever you want: return
data more or less filtered than the major engines; create specialized
filters of your own; search for data posted within the last six hours;
aggregate data from multiple searches; etc. And very reasonably
priced, as well. http://websearch.alexa.com

--
-Mark Wieder
mwi...@ahsoftware.net