Ultra date

Sunil Chainani

Oct 17, 2007, 1:10:57 AM10/17/07
to runnersforli...@googlegroups.com
Hi

It is unfortunate that the organisers of the Bangalore matrathon have chosen 9th Dec as the date. This will surely affect the registrations for the Ultra.

I recommend we advance the Ultra to 18th Nov - the date we planned the Cauvery run. I know this will upset the training schedule for a few, but we have a better chance to get a large group on 18th Nov compared to 16th Dec.

Regards

Sunil

sabsinindia

Oct 17, 2007, 1:25:33 AM10/17/07
to runnersforlife-bangalore
Please don't change the date! Some of us will need that extra month
for training.

Also, the Ultra was announced much before the Bangalore International
Marathon (BIM) which may actually be postponed or cancelled once
again!

Let those who want to run a full at the BIM do so, everyone else can
opt for the "celebrity run" or the half and then do the Ultra which
will definitely be better organized with a much cleaner, safer and
scenic environment.

Cheers!
Sabine

On Oct 17, 10:10 am, "Sunil Chainani" <sunil.chain...@gmail.com>

Vijay...@mcafee.com

Oct 17, 2007, 1:26:29 AM10/17/07
to runnersforli...@googlegroups.com
I know that there are people who are coming from US to run the Bangalore Ultra. Therefore, please do not change any date.

Since inception, Bangalore Marathon has always been chaotic. Please do not go by its announcements. You never know when the organizers (cross over)  will postpone the race.

Its history has been pathetic.

Oct 17, 2007, 2:32:01 AM10/17/07
to runnersforli...@googlegroups.com
I agree so completely and totally!!!
Oct 17, 2007, 2:40:49 AM10/17/07
to runnersforlife-bangalore
I've have registered for the Ultra (52k).

I ran the last 2 Blore m'thons and was sorely disappointed. Crossover
is not interested in runners - they organize the m'thons for publicity
alone. Nobody gives a damn 'bout the full m'thoners there. And for all
that you know the BIM may never happen... last time around the m'thon
was announced 5 weeks before the actual event and was then postponed
by 2 weeks!

I'm hoping for a very different experience here - this is an event for
runners by runners! I'm sure everybody understands the hard work that
goes into training for such events.

Please, pretty please (with sugar on top!) do not change the date for
the Ultra.

Balu

On Oct 17, 11:05 am, Madhu <madhu.avasar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Open letter to Sensible people.
> Lets look at the facts.
> Bangalore Ultra:
>

> 1. Announced almost 9 months ago with a commitment, nay a promise to

> never change the date. Please look at my original blog to see the intent of
> the Ultra.

> 2. Organized with intent to cater to people who VALUE a clean

> enjoyable running experience. Please again look at the original
> announcements to see what pains we took to enumerate these. We of course
> fully intend to follow through.

> 3. No dilution of experience: No fun runs (OK the 26K is kind of a fun

> run), no hard pavement, no running for charity (nobody is preventing, nay we
> are encouraging but let not running be an excuse for charity- Plenty of
> people who DON'T run give charity: Narayana Murthy, Aziz Premji, my
> father,...., etc.)

> 4. Considerable thought and effort put into it. We have been meeting

> weekly since June 2007. Take a look at our website.

> 5. We have a resort where you can come with family and enjoy.
> 6. Cost: Okay this is on the high side for most people in India. But

> remember, there is no free lunch in life. You get what you pay for! many
> people consider it no big deal to buy an air ticket and spend > INR10,000 to
> go run a mere Half Marathon in a distant city! Don't tell me INR 1000 for a
> high class running experience in your own lovely back yard is a lot!
>
> Bangalore Marathon:
>

> 1. Shifting dates.
> 2. No consideration for RFL in arranging their date! RFL runners

> probably form the largest contingent of their potential runners.

> 3. Rest assured that the event will focus on fun run, NGO charity,

> etc. The marathon effort will be purely a joke.

> 4. Hard pavement, traffic, fight for your medals and shirts at the

> end, get your prizes stripped off due to mismanagement, etc.

> 5. No class: Knowing that the Bangalore Ultra was in preparation and

GEEK#1

Oct 17, 2007, 2:56:51 AM10/17/07
to runnersforlife-bangalore
I agree too, and I should say all those make sense, but Sunil had a
point when he said the BIM dates can affect the ULTRA registrations.

I'm sure it will , we are talking about the number of participants
here ; We will have to see how that can be addressed.

At least we should make sure the message reaches the serious runners.

Personally speaking I would just do the ULTRA and no BIM this
year .

Cheers

Sunil

> > dhu

Nitin

Oct 17, 2007, 3:15:43 AM10/17/07
to runnersforli...@googlegroups.com
Hello Fella-runners,

I think there is already enough said about this but allow me to narrate my most memorable

Though running in the last Bangalore Marathon was one of the worst running experiences I ever had and though the whole marathon was studded with many items not usual found in decent marathons (such as Bombay) : Water shortage, choicest abuses hurled at runners, chaos at the timing recording, some more chaos at the certificate distribution to name a few -- the most memorable one was how I saved myself narrowly from running over by a red bus :( inspite of the fact that I was running well within the running space/limits set by flimsy Bangalore Police ribbon(?) on the road. And you feel so miserable and helpless in situations like this -- I could do nothing but to keep running to avoid getting run over by runners behind me.

If there is one reason why I won't run Bangalore Marathon again would be this miserable experience.

I definitely want to run Ultra -- though the distance I may cover would be considerable shy of full marathon :(

- nitin

Partha Roy

Oct 17, 2007, 4:08:58 AM10/17/07
to runnersforlife-bangalore
I will rather run with RFL folks at Cubbon / GKVK / Bellandur /Worst
case at Indiranagar streets than even consider running at any event
done by Crossover. They are not worth my time and 100 odd rupees
registration fee.

Cheers
Partha

On Oct 17, 11:05 am, Madhu <madhu.avasar...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Open letter to Sensible people.
> Lets look at the facts.
> Bangalore Ultra:
>

> 1. Announced almost 9 months ago with a commitment, nay a promise to

> never change the date. Please look at my original blog to see the intent of
> the Ultra.

> 2. Organized with intent to cater to people who VALUE a clean

> enjoyable running experience. Please again look at the original
> announcements to see what pains we took to enumerate these. We of course
> fully intend to follow through.

> 3. No dilution of experience: No fun runs (OK the 26K is kind of a fun

> run), no hard pavement, no running for charity (nobody is preventing, nay we
> are encouraging but let not running be an excuse for charity- Plenty of
> people who DON'T run give charity: Narayana Murthy, Aziz Premji, my
> father,...., etc.)

> 4. Considerable thought and effort put into it. We have been meeting

> weekly since June 2007. Take a look at our website.

> 5. We have a resort where you can come with family and enjoy.
> 6. Cost: Okay this is on the high side for most people in India. But

> remember, there is no free lunch in life. You get what you pay for! many
> people consider it no big deal to buy an air ticket and spend > INR10,000 to
> go run a mere Half Marathon in a distant city! Don't tell me INR 1000 for a
> high class running experience in your own lovely back yard is a lot!
>
> Bangalore Marathon:
>

> 1. Shifting dates.
> 2. No consideration for RFL in arranging their date! RFL runners

> probably form the largest contingent of their potential runners.

> 3. Rest assured that the event will focus on fun run, NGO charity,

> etc. The marathon effort will be purely a joke.

> 4. Hard pavement, traffic, fight for your medals and shirts at the

> end, get your prizes stripped off due to mismanagement, etc.

> 5. No class: Knowing that the Bangalore Ultra was in preparation and

Sunil Chainani

Oct 17, 2007, 4:13:26 AM10/17/07
to runnersforli...@googlegroups.com
I started this debate and am also for RFL over any event organised by
non-sportpersons ( am also one of the early bird entries!!).

However, we should be prepared for the Ultra being primarily a RFL event
with very few other participants. I understand we have 25-30 entries so
far - maybe we need to have a minimum cut off number.

Regards

Sunil

Oct 18, 2007, 12:21:20 AM10/18/07
to runnersforlife-bangalore
Madhu & Ultra team -

I am eagerly waiting to run the Ultra not only for the distance but
also for the PEACE & COSY COMFORT of running under carefully planned
and fully private arrangement to get the running experience. Many
runners like me and others need still time to train for the ultra run.
The Ultra schedule is perfect and I think we shouldn't change.

Regards

Sridhar Srinivasan

On 17 Oct, 11:05, Madhu <madhu.avasar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Open letter to Sensible people.
> Lets look at the facts.
> Bangalore Ultra:
>

> 1. Announced almost 9 months ago with a commitment, nay a promise to

> never change the date. Please look at my original blog to see the intent of
> the Ultra.

> 2. Organized with intent to cater to people who VALUE a clean

> enjoyable running experience. Please again look at the original
> announcements to see what pains we took to enumerate these. We of course
> fully intend to follow through.

> 3. No dilution of experience: No fun runs (OK the 26K is kind of a fun

> run), no hard pavement, no running for charity (nobody is preventing, nay we
> are encouraging but let not running be an excuse for charity- Plenty of
> people who DON'T run give charity: Narayana Murthy, Aziz Premji, my
> father,...., etc.)

> 4. Considerable thought and effort put into it. We have been meeting

> weekly since June 2007. Take a look at our website.

> 5. We have a resort where you can come with family and enjoy.
> 6. Cost: Okay this is on the high side for most people in India. But

> remember, there is no free lunch in life. You get what you pay for! many
> people consider it no big deal to buy an air ticket and spend > INR10,000 to
> go run a mere Half Marathon in a distant city! Don't tell me INR 1000 for a
> high class running experience in your own lovely back yard is a lot!
>
> Bangalore Marathon:
>

> 1. Shifting dates.
> 2. No consideration for RFL in arranging their date! RFL runners

> probably form the largest contingent of their potential runners.

> 3. Rest assured that the event will focus on fun run, NGO charity,

> etc. The marathon effort will be purely a joke.

> 4. Hard pavement, traffic, fight for your medals and shirts at the

> end, get your prizes stripped off due to mismanagement, etc.

> 5. No class: Knowing that the Bangalore Ultra was in preparation and

Sudhir P

Oct 18, 2007, 1:57:41 AM10/18/07
to runnersforli...@googlegroups.com
Hi all.

One thing, i wanted to tell abt someone's comment that the ultra is gonna turn out to be an event consisting of onlly RFLers. Well, let me tell u how i joined RFL.

I was searching abt the bangalore marathon in sep (as it was supposed to be then). I wanted to run a marathon/half soon, as i goofed up in the midnight marathon.And i dont hate the crossover marathons as much, probly cos i have only run crossover halfs so far.

Then hit madhu's blog on the ultra. Was fascinated by the idea (especially w all the care that was going into making it runner friendly), and decided that i wont do nothing short of 78 kms.

I came to know of RFL only through the ultra. So in effect, i joined RFL, only coz of the ultra.(Although, it definitely means more to me now). So, what i mean to say is that many new members of RFL might have done so similarly

And even otherwise, as madhu said, it is important to stick to the promises made earlier.

To attract ppl, probably, the ultra needs to be advertised a little more. (I am doing the word of mouth marketing from my side, but that wont suffice).

Photoblog : http://roastedphotons.blogspot.com

I do not suffer from insanity......
I enjoy it!
================================

Vijay Raj

Oct 21, 2007, 10:48:16 AM10/21/07
to runnersforli...@googlegroups.com
I completely support Madhu. the bangalore marathon organisers have not proven themselves reliable. we should go ahead as planned.

Gowtham narasimhaiah

Oct 22, 2007, 12:55:25 AM10/22/07
to runnersforli...@googlegroups.com
Can't we postpone it to January?

Dr Rajat Chauhan

Oct 22, 2007, 3:28:56 AM10/22/07
to runnersforli...@googlegroups.com
Sure... How much do u want to run...? If no one else shows up :) i'll do it with you.
Rajat

Dr Rajat Chauhan
(Sent from a handheld device)