Speed training sessions, anyone?

sabsinindia

Jun 20, 2007, 4:12:11 AM6/20/07
to runnersforlife-bangalore
Hello all RFLers,

I am currently trying to increase my (pitiful) speeds and am finding
any kind of speed training (tried track, fartlek and hill training)
really tough right now. :-(

I was just wondering if other RFL runners (and ideally some with speed
training experience) would be interested in starting regular (weekly/
bi-weekly) speed training sessions (fartlek and track sessions).

Sudarshan recently mentioned doing something like that in the US and
that it had been really helpful.

So, anyone interested? Would love to hear your thoughts and
suggestions!

Best regards
Sabine

Shumit

Jun 20, 2007, 4:18:35 AM6/20/07
to runnersforli...@googlegroups.com
We have started off with speed sessions in chennai runners. It is too early to say if there are some changes in the speed but you could check out our schedule on www.chennairunners.com . Do check the events page and you will find a schedule in there on a wiki.

Thanks,
Shumit

ashok.nath

Jun 20, 2007, 4:25:40 AM6/20/07
to runnersforli...@googlegroups.com

My Chennai friends…. Any update on whether the 30k Run is confirmed for 16th July?

Warm regards,

Ashok Nath

Partner

Genesis Burson-Marsteller

Shubharam Complex,

No. 144 & 144/1, Mahatma Gandhi Road,

Bangalore 560 001, Karnataka, India

Website: www.genesisbm.in

Email: ashok...@bm.com

Tel PBX: +91 80 2558-9122/3/4: Extn. 112

Mobile: 98865 20298, 98453 90266

Fax: +91 080 2558-9125

Disclaimer: The information in this email is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee and others authorised to receive it. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or action taken in reliance on its contents is prohibited and may be unlawful.

Sindhoor

Jun 20, 2007, 4:35:58 AM6/20/07
to runnersforli...@googlegroups.com
I am interested. I am trying to increase speed and endurance.

Dr Rajat Chauhan

Jun 20, 2007, 4:37:02 AM6/20/07
to runnersforli...@googlegroups.com
Sure ma'am,
this should be done on weekdays and i'm more than happy to help out.
Cheers,
rajat

Dr Rajat Chauhan
(Sent from a handheld device)

Jun 20, 2007, 5:06:12 AM6/20/07
to runnersforli...@googlegroups.com
Ashok:

We are trying to get a location outside chennai where we will not have traffic etc. It is pretty much impossible to block ECR for about 50 runners. We are looking at a loop on the old mahabalipuram road on close to a friends farm house.

It will be great to have you guys here running with us and we are doing everything we can to make it happen.

Thanks,
Shumit

--
""Never impose your language on people you wish to reach." -  Abbie Hoffman

Shumit Vatsal
http://www.theaction.com/Abbie/

ashok.nath

Jun 20, 2007, 5:17:10 AM6/20/07
to runnersforli...@googlegroups.com

Lets target something in July as post that the season gets busy….

-          aug – mysore half (hopefully)

-          sept – blre times marathon

-          oct – delhi hutch half

-          nov – hyd half

-          dec – blre RFL Ultra

-          jan – stanchart mumbai

Venkatraman S

Jun 20, 2007, 5:40:01 AM6/20/07

On 6/20/07, Shumit <shumit...@gmail.com> wrote:
Ashok:

We are trying to get a location outside chennai where we will not have traffic etc. It is pretty much impossible to block ECR for about 50 runners. We are looking at a loop on the old mahabalipuram road on close to a friends farm house.

Probably you might like to consider many roads that connect OMR and ECR - one especially near the shollinganallur panchayat - there aint much traffic early mornings.

--Venky

--
BLog @ http://blizzardzblogs.blogspot.com

ASIF AYAZ

Jun 20, 2007, 6:31:37 AM6/20/07
to runnersforli...@googlegroups.com
Hi Doc,
I follow the Rookie Training programme Guide Forwaded by some one.
Along with some Strenght Training. And I See a bit of increse in my
Timings.. Is there are good/better way we can do? ..Can you please
advise more..on this.
Thanks in Advance.

Asif

Dr Rajat Chauhan

Jun 20, 2007, 6:49:42 AM6/20/07
to runnersforli...@googlegroups.com
Hi Asif,

I need to update my site as far as strength training goes. Trust me on this one as I was also heading a medical strengthening therapy centre in London for over 2 yrs.

As you said, it can improve your running times by leaps and bounds and help you finish more comfortably. And its easier than people actually think.

Run & become.

Rajat
Dr Rajat Chauhan
(Sent from a handheld device)

Jun 20, 2007, 6:55:54 AM6/20/07
to runnersforli...@googlegroups.com
Till the time we get Doc's materials on this topic do take a look at some files I have uploaded on the RFL site.`
Doc, it will be nice if you can give us some simple exercises like the ones you had shown me for strengthening the knee etc

Regards
Muthu

Nitin

Jun 20, 2007, 7:27:35 AM6/20/07
to runnersforli...@googlegroups.com
Hello All,

While I am certainly going to wait for the doc to upload his advise into his web site, I have already started a bit of speed training in the form of interval training. I carry this out in two ways:

1) Quarter Mile (400 m) run in 2 minutes with 2 minute rest

2) TradeMill Interval program 1 or 2: Trademills are best to Usually trademills (Precor) increase the gradient/incline, but instead I set the speed to whatever I want (12-13KM/hr) in the Hard part and I go abt 8KM/hr in the Easy part.

3) Sometimes I do about 4 to 5 minutes of hard run (say 11-12 KM/hr) and about 3 minutes of rest (as per one theory, the rest should be less than run).

I do this about 20 to 30 minutes because it is really taxing.

The biggest problem I had was to set my Hard pace. I used by best ever (all out) pace for 5 KM, which somehow comes to 11 to 12KM depending on my mood! Rajat did promise to send me that formula but I am sure I will receive that one day despite he warning me that it's one of his trade secrets!

I have a book (4 months to 4 hour marathon : Dave Kuehler) which even has calculated pace/speed for speed workout depending on the marathon goal. So if you have 4:30 hrs of Marathon goal, then there is a quarter mile speed pace specified for that. I kind of like that :)

BTW, I am game for one or two times on weekdays for Speed or Hill training.

HTH,

nitin

Jai Rajappan

Jun 20, 2007, 3:26:39 PM6/20/07
to runnersforli...@googlegroups.com
Hello Sabine / all,

I am interested in speed training, we could probably decide to train once a week. Ideally during the weekdays.

Regards,

   Jai

sabsinindia

Jun 20, 2007, 10:50:36 PM6/20/07
to runnersforlife-bangalore
Hi all :-)

Great! There seem to be a few people interested in speed training.
Now, let's start talking specifics.

1.) Where? How about Cubbon Park or could we use the track at the
hinnaswamy Stadium across the road? Do we need permission and if so,
where can we get it?

2.) When? Weekdays? Time?

3.) Does anyone have good, proven training plans for speed/fartlek
sessions? I know there are tons available on the net but I feel we
should start off with something that has been tried by one of us.

Let's have your suggestions and ideas, please :-)

Sabine

ashok...@bm.com

Jun 20, 2007, 11:25:48 PM6/20/07
to runnersforli...@googlegroups.com
Let sat run happen is my vote
Sent on my BlackBerry(r) from Hutch

Jun 20, 2007, 11:36:22 PM6/20/07
to runnersforlife-bangalore
Speed training sessions, anyone?

Noel Almeida

Jun 21, 2007, 12:08:25 AM6/21/07
to runnersforli...@googlegroups.com
Sabine,

Thanks for getting this going!

I'd be interested in speed work, but it will have to be 6:00AM if its a weekday.  Going by Dr. Rajat's schedule (for novices), Wednesdays are reserved for speed work.  How about every Wed?

The Queens Park within Cubbon Park seems to be popular with those doing speed work.  What do you say?

Cheers,
Noel.

sabsinindia

Jun 21, 2007, 12:18:44 AM6/21/07
to runnersforlife-bangalore
Hi Noel/all other interested "speeders" :-)

Okay!!! We have a day, time and location for our weekly speed training
session:

Wednesday, 6.00 AM in Queens Park at Cubbon Park

Let's start off next Wednesday, June 27. All those interested in
joining us, drop me a mail or just post your response here so we have
a rough idea on who will be there.

See you Wednesday if not before!

Sabine

Subbu

Jun 21, 2007, 1:19:39 AM6/21/07
to runnersforlife-bangalore
Sabine,

Count me in!

sindhoor pangal

Jun 21, 2007, 3:58:11 AM6/21/07
to runnersforli...@googlegroups.com
Wednesdays don't work for me. However if you have something planned for any other day of the week, I would love to join.

sabsinindia

Jun 21, 2007, 6:15:00 AM6/21/07
to runnersforlife-bangalore
Hi Sindhoor,

Let's see how it goes this Wednesday. Will let you know if we decide
to change the days.

See you soon.
Sabine

Dr Rajat Chauhan

Jul 2, 2007, 7:03:42 AM7/2/07
to runnersforli...@googlegroups.com
Hey sindhoor,
medical representatives name is Manishlal.
9886747743
Supplement is arthricare SR Forte
should be available any where, but feel free to bug / buzz him.
Rajat

Dr Rajat Chauhan
(Sent from a handheld device)

Jul 2, 2007, 8:25:11 AM7/2/07
to runnersforli...@googlegroups.com
Thanks. I found it in a medical store near home. I just cannot remember what is the dosage you prescribed.
The bottle itself recommends twice a day. Is that right?

-- Sindhoor

Dr Rajat Chauhan

Jul 2, 2007, 9:39:15 AM7/2/07
to runnersforli...@googlegroups.com