Problem installing rvm on new MacBook Pro

Sandy

Mar 15, 2011, 3:13:20 PM3/15/11
to rvm (Ruby Version Manager)
I've been using both Windows and Linux (Ubuntu) to write progams using
Ruby 1.8.7 and Rails 2.3.

I just purchased a new MacBook Pro, and I wanted to be able to run
both 1.8.7/2.3 and 1.9.2/3. However, I am totally new to Macs
(although they seem to be using a dialect of linux).

I opened a Terminal window and entered the command:

bash < <( curl http://rvm.beginrescueend.com/releases/rvm-install-head)open
.bash

After doing that I see (using ls -a) that it created the following
files -- .bash, .bash_history, and an .rvm directory

I do not see any files named "bash_profile" or ".bash_profile".

I, therefore, added the following line to the .bash file (where it is
the only line in the .bash file):
[[ -s "$HOME/.rvm/scripts/rvm" ]] && . "$HOME/.rvm/scripts/rvm"

When I opened a new Terminal window and entered:
type rvm | head -l

I got:

-bash: type: rvm: not found
head: illegal option -- l
usage: head [-n lines | -c byetes] [file ...]

When I entered:
type rvm | head -nl

I got:

-bash: type: rvm: not found
head: illegal line count -- l
usage: head [-n lines | -c byetes] [file ...]

It appears that rvm has been installed, but that the problem resides
in the .bash file (or the absence of a bash_profile file). Any
assistance and clarification would be greatly appreciated.

Wayne E. Seguin

Mar 16, 2011, 9:44:41 PM3/16/11
to rubyversi...@googlegroups.com

Andrew Premdas

Apr 7, 2011, 1:30:32 PM4/7/11
On 15 March 2011 19:13, Sandy <sandy...@gmail.com> wrote:
I've been using both Windows and Linux (Ubuntu) to write progams using
Ruby 1.8.7 and Rails 2.3.

I just purchased a new MacBook Pro, and I wanted to be able to run
both 1.8.7/2.3 and 1.9.2/3.  However, I am totally new to Macs
(although they seem to be using a dialect of linux).

I opened a Terminal window and entered the command:

bash < <( curl http://rvm.beginrescueend.com/releases/rvm-install-head)open
.bash

After doing that I see (using ls -a) that it created the following
files -- .bash, .bash_history, and  an .rvm directory

I do not see any files named "bash_profile" or ".bash_profile".

I, therefore, added the following line to the .bash file (where it is
the only line in the .bash file):
[[ -s "$HOME/.rvm/scripts/rvm" ]] && . "$HOME/.rvm/scripts/rvm"

Do you have a ~/.profile file. If so this is the file to put the rvm line in - at the end. ~/.profile is an alternative configuration file for bash, often used on OSX.

HTH

Andrew

--
Please visit http://rvm.beginrescueend.com/ for documentation on rvm.