RubyZip zip file creation works on localhost but not heroku

Steven Harlow

Jan 16, 2014, 12:55:18 PM1/16/14
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
I have rubyzip 0.9.9 and am creating a zip file like so:

Zip::ZipFile.open(zip_path, Zip::ZipFile::CREATE) do |zipfile|
    #code goes here
end

When I give it a zip path like this:  zip_path = File.join(Rails.root, "/tmp/zips/#{zip.id}.zip")  , it works fine locally, but not on heroku.  On heroku I get an error like: failed with Errno::ENOENT: No such file or directory - /tmp/zips/31.zip20140115-1059-1j1bx6

I looks like it's appending a timestamp onto the filepath for some reason.   I switched to using zip_path = File.expand_path('/tmp/zips/#{zip.id}.zip"), and I get that same "No such file or directory" error on localhost also.

What's going on here?  Something with the RubyZip gem?

Frederick Cheung

Jan 16, 2014, 6:28:15 PM1/16/14
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
Does the tmp/zips folder exist on heroku (remember that git doesn't handle empty directories)

Fred

Curtis Ovard

Jan 17, 2014, 9:23:37 AM1/17/14
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
I'm pretty sure you can't save files on heroku. You would need to save it to something like AWS.

Jordon Bedwell

Jan 17, 2014, 9:27:53 AM1/17/14
On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 8:23 AM, Curtis Ovard <ova...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm pretty sure you can't save files on heroku. You would need to save it to something like AWS.

If it's for a user you could just offload it onto them too by using
something like jszip and doing it in browser.