Reposted from Superuser - Installing Ruby on Rails on Ubuntu 10.04: A Living Nightmare

emptyset

Jun 30, 2010, 1:03:58 PM6/30/10
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
I'm reposting this here from my original post on Superuser[1], to
hopefully get more relevant feedback from more experienced RoR users.
I need to get a RoR environment up and running, because I have a
client that needs some RoR work done on her website. Although I'm new
to RoR, I'm a quick learner and was expecting installing and setting
up the environment was easy, so I could focus my effort on site
development. I've already spent five days trying to get the
environment up so I could just begin working. I'll probably have
follow up questions to this group (seems I can't get script/server to
work at all) - but for now, this is the immediate concern.

Update #3: Starting over from scratch, shortened this post, decided to
re-install a clean copy of Ubuntu 10.04 on a VM and go through the
walk-through[0] again. So, all the steps go without a hitch. As root:

root@ubuntu:~/rubygems-1.3.7# ruby -v
root@ubuntu:~/rubygems-1.3.7# gem -v
1.3.7
root@ubuntu:~/rubygems-1.3.7# rails -v
Rails 2.3.8
Now, as myself (in a separate term):

emptyset@ubuntu:~$ ruby -v
emptyset@ubuntu:~$ gem -v
/usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:10:in `require': no such file
to load -- rubygems/defaults (LoadError)
from /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:10
from /usr/local/bin/gem:8:in `require'
from /usr/local/bin/gem:8
emptyset@ubuntu:~$ rails -v
bash: /usr/bin/rails: Permission denied

So, this appears to be a permissions issue, but I don't understand
why. Specifically, if I have to start making things go+rx all over the
place, I really need to understand which specific files need the
permissions change.

Site references:
[0] http://castilho.biz/blog/2010/05/08/how-to-install-ruby-on-rails-on-ubuntu-10-04-lucid-lynx/
[1] http://superuser.com/questions/156498/installing-ruby-on-rails-on-ubuntu-10-04-a-living-nightmare

Filipe Quadros Borges

Jul 3, 2010, 9:47:56 AM7/3/10
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
I installed Ruby and Rails on Ubuntu 10.04 by following this guide:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RubyOnRails.
Everything went well.

Quick steps:
1. > sudo apt-get install ruby-full build-essential
2. Download and install latest rubygems. Do not use apt-get because
rubygems update itself and corrupts apt-get.
3. > sudo gem install rails
4. test your environment! > rails ~/my_test_app

> --

Filipe Quadros Borges

email: fqbo...@gmail.com
msn: fqbo...@hotmail.com

Victor S

Jul 3, 2010, 10:00:55 AM7/3/10
to Ruby on Rails: Talk

I would strongly suggest you look into rvm to manage your ruby/rails
environments. But you might also want to install gem as your own user
as opposed to root. The new gems will be kept somewhere in your home
directory.

- Victor

On Jun 30, 1:03 pm, emptyset <empty...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm reposting this here from my original post on Superuser[1], to
> hopefully get more relevant feedback from more experienced RoR users.
> I need to get a RoR environment up and running, because I have a
> client that needs some RoR work done on her website.  Although I'm new
> to RoR, I'm a quick learner and was expecting installing and setting
> up the environment was easy, so I could focus my effort on site
> development.  I've already spent five days trying to get the
> environment up so I could just begin working.  I'll probably have
> follow up questions to this group (seems I can't get script/server to
> work at all) - but for now, this is the immediate concern.
>
> Update #3: Starting over from scratch, shortened this post, decided to
> re-install a clean copy of Ubuntu 10.04 on a VM and go through the
> walk-through[0] again. So, all the steps go without a hitch. As root:
>
> root@ubuntu:~/rubygems-1.3.7# ruby -v
> ruby1.8.7(2010-01-10 patchlevel 249) [x86_64-linux]
> root@ubuntu:~/rubygems-1.3.7# gem -v
> 1.3.7
> root@ubuntu:~/rubygems-1.3.7# rails -v
> Rails 2.3.8
> Now, as myself (in a separate term):
>
> emptyset@ubuntu:~$ ruby -v
> ruby1.8.7(2010-01-10 patchlevel 249) [x86_64-linux]
> emptyset@ubuntu:~$ gem -v
> /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:10:in `require': no such file
> to load -- rubygems/defaults (LoadError)
>     from /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:10
>     from /usr/local/bin/gem:8:in `require'
>     from /usr/local/bin/gem:8
> emptyset@ubuntu:~$ rails -v
> bash: /usr/bin/rails: Permission denied
>
> So, this appears to be a permissions issue, but I don't understand
> why. Specifically, if I have to start making things go+rx all over the
> place, I really need to understand which specific files need the
> permissions change.
>
> Site references:
> [0]http://castilho.biz/blog/2010/05/08/how-to-install-ruby-on-rails-on-u...
> [1]http://superuser.com/questions/156498/installing-ruby-on-rails-on-ubu...

Marnen Laibow-Koser

Jul 3, 2010, 10:07:47 AM7/3/10
Victor Stan wrote:
> I would strongly suggest you look into rvm to manage your ruby/rails
> environments. But you might also want to install gem as your own user
> as opposed to root. The new gems will be kept somewhere in your home
> directory.

That always seems to cause problems. I'd rather keep gems available
system-wide.

--
Marnen Laibow-Koser
http://www.marnen.org

Sent from my iPhone

emptyset

Jul 6, 2010, 12:18:12 PM7/6/10
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
Thanks! I updated my answer on SU and linked to this post. My best
guess is that:

apt-get install ruby rdoc libopenssl-ruby build-essential

Doesn't quite cover everything that's needed to run gem
effectively...ruby-full on a clean VM install worked great. Much
appreciated.
> > [0]http://castilho.biz/blog/2010/05/08/how-to-install-ruby-on-rails-on-u...
> > [1]http://superuser.com/questions/156498/installing-ruby-on-rails-on-ubu...
>
> > --
>
> --
> Filipe Quadros Borges
>
> email: fqbor...@gmail.com
> msn: fqbor...@hotmail.com

Steve Spiller

Jul 6, 2010, 12:33:12 PM7/6/10
On 6 July 2010 17:18, emptyset <empt...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks!  I updated my answer on SU and linked to this post.  My best
guess is that:

 apt-get install ruby rdoc libopenssl-ruby build-essential

Doesn't quite cover everything that's needed to run gem
effectively...ruby-full on a clean VM install worked great.  Much
appreciated.

A guide which I found useful after failing to install properly (I have not created the gem symlink) is http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1459056. Covers pretty much everything I ended up doing through trial and error. Took about 30 mins from start to finish.

Note: - where it gives the link to get rubygems don't forget to check for the latest version and modify the command to match.