Good Rails Reference

Joe Cairns

Nov 30, 2006, 11:16:54 AM11/30/06
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
Hey All:

I got my first rails app up and running, but I know there was a lot I
could have done better. Most of my knowledge comes from web reference
and the Rails Recipes book. I'm really looking for something a little
meatier.

Is there a definitive reference that is a "must read"?

Tim Chater

Nov 30, 2006, 11:38:26 AM11/30/06
Joe Cairns wrote:
> Hey All:

> Is there a definitive reference that is a "must read"?

Have a look at the second edition of Agile Development with Rails.

http://pragmaticprogrammer.com/titles/rails2/index.html

It's not out till 13th December but you can get the final PDF now. At
750 pages it's rather comprehensive, and it covers the new features of
Rails 1.2 (see
http://weblog.rubyonrails.org/2006/11/23/rails-1-2-release-candidate-1).

Faisal N Jawdat

Nov 30, 2006, 4:09:46 PM11/30/06
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
i think this is the 9,000th instance of this question and answer
combination on the list. i think we need a faq for the mailing list
(yes, the wiki has a faq, but those don't seem to be the questions
that get asked here, plus there's always that risk of "great site!"
spam). unless someone has a better idea, i volunteer to put one
together.

send me your (least) favorites and i'll try to put together something
before the heat-death of the universe. so far i have:

- what's the difference between ruby and rails?
- what is a good book about rails?
- can you send me a copy of the pdf version of awdwr
- where are online references?
- what's a good editor for rails?
- how do i install it?
- how do i do self-referential associations?
- where can i host rails apps?

-faisal

Phlip

Nov 30, 2006, 4:16:15 PM11/30/06
Faisal N Jawdat wrote:

> send me your (least) favorites and i'll try to put together something
> before the heat-death of the universe. so far i have:
>
> - what's the difference between ruby and rails?
> - what is a good book about rails?
> - can you send me a copy of the pdf version of awdwr
> - where are online references?
> - what's a good editor for rails?
> - how do i install it?
> - how do i do self-referential associations?
> - where can i host rails apps?

Have you seen..?

- does Rails do Ajax?

;-)

--
Phlip

Faisal N Jawdat

Dec 11, 2006, 5:45:57 PM12/11/06
On Nov 30, 2006, at 4:09 PM, Faisal N Jawdat wrote:
> i think this is the 9,000th instance of this question and answer
> combination on the list. i think we need a faq for the mailing
> list (yes, the wiki has a faq, but those don't seem to be the
> questions that get asked here, plus there's always that risk of
> "great site!" spam). unless someone has a better idea, i volunteer
> to put one together.

draft here:

http://www.faisal.com/docs/ror-list-faq.html

feedback welcome -- please send it to me personally rather than to
the list at large (where i might miss it).

-faisal

Jodi Showers

Dec 11, 2006, 5:59:58 PM12/11/06
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
Good effort Faisal.

I have a suggestion.

Quite often when a topic is resolved, the thread represents a host of
knowledge. I suggest at this point in the thread, the email is fwded
by the asker to a mailbox monitored by the FAQ service.

Any takers?

Cheers,
Jodi
General Partner
The nNovation Group inc.
www.nnovation.ca/blog

Faisal N Jawdat

Dec 11, 2006, 6:29:46 PM12/11/06
On Dec 11, 2006, at 5:59 PM, Jodi Showers wrote:
> Quite often when a topic is resolved, the thread represents a host of
> knowledge. I suggest at this point in the thread, the email is fwded
> by the asker to a mailbox monitored by the FAQ service.

good idea.

the faq service currently being me, i can set up an email address
that people can mail to when there's consensus on the list.

-faisal

Phlip

Dec 11, 2006, 6:50:34 PM12/11/06
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
Here's one:

What's the point of all these silly test cases? Do I /have/ to use them??

:-)

--
Phlip
http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?ZeekLand <-- NOT a blog!!

Jodi Showers

Dec 11, 2006, 7:42:04 PM12/11/06
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
Another thought came to mind,

If the thread's subject is marked as [FAQ] afterwards, then a simple
search of the group will review the FAQ.

That way a separate mail account wouldn't be required - just a search
of the subject lines.

Would certainly increase the signal-to-noise when looking for a
solution.

Bala Paranj

Dec 12, 2006, 2:43:20 PM12/12/06
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
I am not getting any response from the Rails mailing list, what should I do?

Read this : How To Ask Questions The Smart Way : http://catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

Phlip

Dec 12, 2006, 3:26:22 PM12/12/06
Bala Paranj wrote:

> I am not getting any response from the Rails mailing list, what should I do?

May want to add not to use the obsolete Rails mailing list pre-Google Groups.