Webrick 'require_frameworks' message

Ken Welborn

Dec 28, 2007, 11:13:08 AM12/28/07
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
Any ideas if this is a version or a config issue?
Runmning Gems 1.0.1, rails is 2.0.2
kenbob
-----------------------
ruby script/server
=> Booting WEBrick...
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-2.0.2/lib/initializer.rb:159:in
`require_frameworks': no such file to load -- openssl (RuntimeError)
from
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-2.0.2/lib/initializer.rb:88:in
`process'
from
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-2.0.2/lib/initializer.rb:49:in `send'
from
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-2.0.2/lib/initializer.rb:49:in `run'
from /home/kenny/KensLib/myrails/Dec28/config/environment.rb:13
from
/usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in
`gem_original_require'
from
/usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in `require'
from
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-2.0.2/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:496:in
`require'
from
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-2.0.2/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:342:in
`new_constants_in'
... 7 levels...
from
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-2.0.2/lib/commands/server.rb:39
from
/usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in
`gem_original_require'
from
/usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in `require'
from script/server:3

Frederick Cheung

Dec 28, 2007, 3:20:18 PM12/28/07

On 28 Dec 2007, at 16:13, Ken Welborn wrote:

> Any ideas if this is a version or a config issue?
> Runmning Gems 1.0.1, rails is 2.0.2
> kenbob
> -----------------------
> ruby script/server
> => Booting WEBrick...
> /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-2.0.2/lib/initializer.rb:159:in
> `require_frameworks': no such file to load -- openssl (RuntimeError)

Do you have openssl installed (and openssl development headers so that
ruby can build its openssl extensions) ?

Fred

Michael Henderson

Dec 28, 2007, 4:19:23 PM12/28/07
Frederick Cheung wrote:
> On 28 Dec 2007, at 16:13, Ken Welborn wrote:
>
> Do you have openssl installed (and openssl development headers so that
> ruby can build its openssl extensions) ?

I'm having the same problem one one of my servers but not all of them. I
don't see what the difference is. But on my development box, Webrick
fails to start with the openssl exception. On the test box, it runs
fine. So, can you be specific about what files/libraries I can look for
to verify that openssl is installed with the development headers?

I followed the instructions at rubyonrails.org/down. There was no
mention there that openssl is an external requirement - I thought that
it came with ruby-1.8.6. I downloaded and compiled ruby-1.8.6 with
"./configure --prefix=/home/mdhender". Checking the config logs, there's
nothing about openssl. No warnings, no errors, no complaints. I just
don't see what configure is looking for.

Mike

Frederick Cheung

Dec 28, 2007, 4:36:37 PM12/28/07

On 28 Dec 2007, at 21:19, Michael Henderson wrote:

> Frederick Cheung wrote:
>> On 28 Dec 2007, at 16:13, Ken Welborn wrote:
>>
>> Do you have openssl installed (and openssl development headers so
>> that
>> ruby can build its openssl extensions) ?
>>

> I'm having the same problem one one of my servers but not all of
> them. I
> don't see what the difference is. But on my development box, Webrick
> fails to start with the openssl exception. On the test box, it runs
> fine. So, can you be specific about what files/libraries I can look
> for
> to verify that openssl is installed with the development headers?

That rather depends on what operating system you're on, but on my
machine I have a /usr/include/openssl/

> I followed the instructions at rubyonrails.org/down. There was no
> mention there that openssl is an external requirement - I thought that
> it came with ruby-1.8.6. I downloaded and compiled ruby-1.8.6 with
> "./configure --prefix=/home/mdhender". Checking the config logs,
> there's
> nothing about openssl. No warnings, no errors, no complaints. I just
> don't see what configure is looking for.

It is part of ruby 1.8.6. It's not vital to ruby, so if it can't do it
it just skips it.
To build it you cd to ruby_source/ext/openssl and run extconf.rb (and
then make; make install)
It should complain at this point if the openssl headers can't be found

Fred

Michael Henderson

Dec 28, 2007, 4:39:31 PM12/28/07
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
On the test box (where Webrick works), I have

.../lib/ruby/1.8/openssl/
.../lib/ruby/1.8/openssl.rb

I am missing those on the development box. Poking around some more, I
found out that I am missing the openssl headers on the box. I did not
have the "/usr/include/openssl" directory. I did an apt-get libssl-dev,
reconfigured/compiled/installed ruby and now Webrick works as expected
on the development box.

I am still puzzled as to *where* the configure tests for the headers.

Try Rails

Jan 29, 2008, 1:00:10 AM1/29/08
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com

Hi guys,

Today I did an "gem update rails -y" and immediately afterwards I am
having n number of issues. First Webrick was running, but the was not
responding currently.

When I cleared the old version of most of the gems, and did an
install/update again, it doesnt start the WEbrick anymore, giving this
message about "require_frameworks".

I read your post and checked that I have /usr/include/openssl and the
other two directories as well (ones Mike found).

However, since I have not compiled my own copy of ruby, (I am on Ubuntu
and using their package for ruby 1.8.6) I am not sure how can I move
on...

Any ideas/suggestions please...

regards

Carl

Feb 1, 2008, 6:13:28 PM2/1/08
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
I was having the same problem as you on Ubuntu. I found the answer so
hopefully others will find it here as well. You have to install this
package:

sudo apt-get install libopenssl-ruby

And the error should go away for you (it did for me on Slicehost).

Hope that helps.

Carl Anderson

Try Rails

Feb 2, 2008, 2:50:19 AM2/2/08
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

I checked and found that I already have that package installed.

however, I still went ahead and reinstalled that package. Still no
change in behaviour. :(

any more ideas.

regards
raghav..

Carl

Feb 7, 2008, 4:50:18 PM2/7/08
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
Do you have the ruby-dev packages installed?

On Feb 1, 11:50 pm, Try Rails <rails-mailing-l...@andreas-s.net>

Carl

Feb 7, 2008, 4:58:57 PM2/7/08
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
I should clarify, do you have ruby1.8-dev package installed?

Try Rails

Feb 7, 2008, 11:57:28 PM2/7/08
Carl wrote:
> I should clarify, do you have ruby1.8-dev package installed?

Hi,

As it turned out and I had forgotten in the meantime, that I did not
install ruby from the Ubuntu packages, rather from the site by compiling
it.

There was the source available on my system. Even then, I took the
latest patch level of ruby source and compiled on my system, things
worked fine afterwards.

thanks for everybody's time and attention.

Selvaraj Subbaian

Mar 14, 2008, 3:41:52 AM3/14/08
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com

Yes this works for me thanks a lot...

Martyn Yap

Apr 14, 2008, 12:27:17 AM4/14/08
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
I too occured the error but unable to resolve it till now.

I'm using RHEL4 and did a gem update rails -y.

Updated from gem 0.94 to 1.1.1, rails 1.2.5 to 2.0.2

I too have openssl 0.9.7a on my machine.

Any assistance? Thanks! = ]

Jon Reid

Apr 22, 2009, 11:49:52 AM4/22/09
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
For those of you who struggled through the message boards to try and fix
this here is what fixed it for me. I am installing and running Ruby on
Rails for the first time and running through one of the online
tutorials. I am using Ubuntu and kept getting the error message of the
original post.

1. "su" to become root and do "apt-get install libopenssl-ruby" to get
all the whole library.
2. To get the header files, still as root, do "apt-get install
ruby1.8-dev" which gives the development headers.
3. Now you can go to the "ruby_directory/ext/openssl" and run "ruby
extconf.rb" and it should work with no problem. Then "run make". Then
"make install".

I kept trying to go to the ext/openssl directory and run the "ruby
extconf.rb" and it kept telling me to go to hell!. Once you run those
two apt-get's it should have everything you need to install openssl.

Oh to clarify on the directory "~/ruby-1.8.7-p72/ext/openssl$" so it is
just the latest ruby package installed to the home directory.

Hope that helps the new users!

Jon Reid

Apr 22, 2009, 2:04:28 PM4/22/09
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
Sorry in step 3 that is just plain "make" not "run make".

Tom Raday

Jan 24, 2011, 12:57:47 PM1/24/11
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
This was helpful. I have Ubuntu 10.10 and I noticed that when I tried:
sudo apt-get install libopenssl-ruby1.8
I would get:
Note, selecting 'libruby1.8' instead of 'libopenssl-ruby1.8

I assume that libruby1.8 now includes libopenssl.

In addition, since I am using rvm, I had to remove and reinstall my
version of ruby before it would pick up the packages.
rvm remove ruby-1.8.7
rvm install ruby-1.8.7
Cheers.