trouble with slow rubygems

tachekent

Apr 30, 2008, 7:35:02 PM4/30/08
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
Hi there,
I'm having a lot of trouble trying to install any gems in ubuntu.
Every time I try I get:
Bulk updating Gem source index for: http://gems.rubyforge.org/
and then that hangs forever. More often than not I get a server
timeout on my SSH session before anything changes - that timeout is
currently set to 2 hours.

I don't understand why gem needs to Bulk update *every* time I try to
install anything with it.

I also tried:
gem install rails --source http://gems.rubyonrails.org
and got:
Bulk updating Gem source index for: http://gems.rubyonrails.org/
Bulk updating Gem source index for: http://gems.rubyonrails.org/
and then hanging.

I've never had this problem before with gem and I can't work out what
might be wrong.
Does anyone know what could be causing it to take so long?

thanks
dorian

Thiago Jackiw

May 6, 2008, 11:53:48 AM5/6/08
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
This may work for you too http://ruby.tie-rack.org/58/speeding-up-gem-on-os-x-leopard/

--
Thiago Jackiw
http://www.railsfreaks.com

On Apr 30, 4:35 pm, tachekent <bartlebo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi there,
> I'm having a lot of trouble trying to install any gems in ubuntu.
> Every time I try I get:
> Bulk updating Gem source index for:http://gems.rubyforge.org/
> and then that hangs forever. More often than not I get a server
> timeout on my SSH session before anything changes - that timeout is
> currently set to 2 hours.
>
> I don't understand why gem needs to Bulk update *every* time I try to
> install anything with it.
>
> I also tried:
> gem install rails --sourcehttp://gems.rubyonrails.org

Mack Earnhardt

May 6, 2008, 12:00:46 PM5/6/08
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
I've seen hangs due to memory issues. The bulk update is very hungry.
Once the bulk update runs to completion once, things get much faster.