Rails / Rack version mismatch

RonL

Feb 4, 2010, 9:28:20 AM2/4/10
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
I attempted to install rails, with these error messages:

$ sudo gem install rails
ERROR: Error installing rails:
actionpack requires rack (~> 1.0.0, runtime)

$ sudo gem install rack
Successfully installed rack-1.1.0
1 gem installed

$ sudo gem install rails
ERROR: Error installing rails:
actionpack requires rack (~> 1.0.0, runtime)

Why does gem install a current version of rack which is incompatible
with the current version of rails? Moreover, why doesn't install of
rails include the proper rack dependency?

Rob Biedenharn

Feb 4, 2010, 12:12:25 PM2/4/10
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
On Feb 4, 2010, at 9:28 AM, RonL wrote:

> I attempted to install rails, with these error messages:
>
> $ sudo gem install rails
> ERROR: Error installing rails:
> actionpack requires rack (~> 1.0.0, runtime)
>
> $ sudo gem install rack
> Successfully installed rack-1.1.0
> 1 gem installed

Try installing rack 1.0.1

~> 1.0.0 means ">= 1.0.0" && "< 1.1"

However, 1.1.0 is not "< 1.1"

irb> req=Gem::Requirement.new("~>1.0.0")
=> #<Gem::Requirement:0x641ae0 @requirements=[["~>", #<Gem::Version
"1.0.0">]], @version=nil>
irb> req.satisfied_by? Gem::Version.new("1.0.1")
=> true
irb> req.satisfied_by? Gem::Version.new("1.1.0")
=> false

-Rob

> $ sudo gem install rails
> ERROR: Error installing rails:
> actionpack requires rack (~> 1.0.0, runtime)
>
> Why does gem install a current version of rack which is incompatible
> with the current version of rails? Moreover, why doesn't install of
> rails include the proper rack dependency?
>

> --
> .

R...@AgileConsultingLLC.com

Sean

Feb 8, 2010, 11:05:48 PM2/8/10
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
Did you get this solved I have similar issue and am stuck

Computer Manic

Aug 1, 2010, 2:33:47 PM8/1/10
Sean wrote:
> Did you get this solved I have similar issue and am stuck

i got past this by installing rake =)
sudo gem install rake

Roger Pack

Feb 13, 2014, 5:57:28 PM2/13/14
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
ok for me this meant "manually install rack 1.1.x then install rails
2.3.18 and magically it works now" ai ai